Power Steering Pulley (here we go again)

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death but I'm just getting ready to do the pulley & bracket swap. I've read through the threads on this topic and it seems most leave the pump on the car to do this swap. It sounds like everybody fights getting the old pulley off, usually in pieces with pullers that are almost correct. A couple people meantioned that they pull the whole pump, take it and the new pulley to the auto parts machine shop and have them make the swap on the bench.

At the end of the day this sounds like the path of least resistance or am I wrong?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had mine off to do the S/c install. it was pretty easy to do on a bench.

IIRC, Baz had some easy way to do it. see if you can find his posts or ask him.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check PM's

I did it without removing the PS pump from the car. Was super easy and no refilling reservoir. Lemme see if I can find the writeup. Took about 25 minutes.

Last edited:

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auto parts store here loans the pulley puller/replacement tool free ($40 refundable deposit).. Can't remember if it was Pep Boys or Auot Zone.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MATCO MST93 puller seemed to be the one most likely to succeed based on my research.

Last edited:

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine the safe way. I took it to Davenport Motor Sports in Calgary. They are doing a thermostat swap, pulley and bracket, powdercoated intake, and dyno tune all at the same time.
I am fairly handy but quite clumsy, so this is the best for me.:D

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine the safe way. I took it to Davenport Motor Sports in Calgary. They are doing a thermostat swap, pulley and bracket, powdercoated intake, and dyno tune all at the same time.
I am fairly handy but quite clumsy, so this is the best for me.:D

So far that thermostat swap has been the most painful upgrade I have done on the vehicle. Took me forever to clean the stupid old gasket off. What a pain!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the pump out. I had problems with the puller staying seated in the groove on the pulley when trying to do it in the car. Perhaps due to my impatience or not reading the previous write-ups thoroughly. I just couldn't see whether it was seated properly before I started cranking on it. It was very simple to take the pump out of the car and put it back in, and it was time for new fluid, anyway.

Don't for get to put the spacers provided between the bracket and the block if you have a Gen I and are using the Roe bracket and steel pulley.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going through the effort of changing out the pulley, you should also change out the bracket. This in effect answers the question as to whether or not you should do the pulley change on the bench ( which makes the whole job WAY easier )

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going through the effort of changing out the pulley, you should also change out the bracket. This in effect answers the question as to whether or not you should do the pulley change on the bench ( which makes the whole job WAY easier )

I changed out the bracket too (mine broke). I left the pump on the car and it was EASY. Taking it completely out is a waste of time IMO (unless you encounter difficulty with the pulley removal and are unable to get the pulley off).

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise everybody, I'm going to try leaving the pump on the car to replace the pulley and bracket. If I run into any problem I'll pull the pump and do it on the bench.

It's funny how whenever you ask for input on an either /or question the feedback usually breaks about 50 / 50. It sounds like a political poll - yikes :omg:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One word of CAUTION.......

I recently did one with a Dave's Big Brakes pulley and the machined holes were not large enough for the bolts to go through. I had to pull the new pulley back off, put the bolts in the holes then reinstall the pulley. I had done another Daves before and it did not have this issue. So, there are several versions from Daves. To be on the safe side just stick the bolts in the pump before installing the pulley.

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh man, thanks Tony that makes a lot of sence, you must have been hot at that one. I've got a Roe pulley and bracket but I'm going to check for that problem.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done about 8 now and all been BBD's ... Removed the pumps on all of them, And to pull the new pulley on the bolts that hold the PS bracket to the heads fit the PS shaft. So you can use one of these to pull the new PS pully back on.. BE SURE TO USE A WASHER SO YOU DONT GO PAST FLUSH....

OP
OP
H

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DONE.
Thanks for the input everyone. Man what a POS the OEM bracket is. I've read the comments before but until you actually see and feel it I never thought it would be that poorly constructed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang