Pre-driving checklists?

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sort of an off the wall question here gents, but Charlie (VCA new york chapter) brought out a good point about driving the Viper, Rule #1. respect the cars power or the Viper will bite you back!

Q'1.: What if any are your golden rules when operating the beast?

Q'2.: What are your normal (ritualistic) preflight & postflight checks for before and after driving?

Thanks folks, to many a Viper has been lost due to a variety of preventable mishaps and I for one don't want to be a statistic!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, am not a "gent" but I do a few things before every ride-check tire pressure and oil and do a quick 'detail spray' . when I get back, I lift the hood to cool it off, do a repeat detail spray while engine's cooling, clean wheels, then lower hood/cover car.

I like detailing it real quick each time because it gives me a chance to go over the car and see any changes. I don't do my own maintenance, so I have a mechanic that checks my cars regularly

2000gtsgsxr1000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan,Dave from landlords here, any luck finding a car?Sounds like your close.I had two Vettes before my Viper and did many driving events,autocross etc but my Viper was very different to get use to.I make sure I've got it pointed straight before I pull the trigger.Sure seems like a lot of wreck ones on Ebay.I don't really want a salvage title if I can keep from it.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open garage door back out and go. It's a car, not an airplane :headbang:

Detail spray every drive LOL ??? No wonder we get accused of being posers :bonker:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 tires, check
Gas, check
Insert key, start
Warm up.......drive the PI$$ out of it!

Simple.....huh?

Can we get a thread going on what day of the week and time Zaino works best on?

ROTFLOL!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't listen to Charlie, he drives like a madman and will challenge any car on the road. It's a sickness that can't be cured. If he had a red car he would be untouchable. :2tu:

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just grab the key, open the garage and made sure that I have the V1 in the car :nana:

OP
OP
D

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I'll be getting one in June! Just getting an edumacation before taking the wheel.

Some folks say once you Modify one upto around 700 horses that indeed it is more like flying than driving!

I agree folks that basically you just drive it and enjoy it but there are always some helpful hints to enjoying the experience a little more so hence the questions above, every little bit helps and since I'm the FNG I have the authority to ask the stupid questions. LOL

Thanks again for the insights! Dan

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dido 1tony1.
One day another Viper happened to be in the parking lot at work where I park mine. The ladies in the office were all wondering why its hood was open. Next time I'm going to tell them that the fellow thought it was an airplane.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1: Get in car
Step 2: Turn car on
Step 3: Make sure radar detector is on.
Step 4: Find good song on radio
Step 5: Do 100'+ long burnout down street and nearly hit annoying neighbors.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 1: Get in car
Step 2: Turn car on
Step 3: Make sure radar detector is on.
Step 4: Find good song on radio
Step 5: Do 100'+ long burnout down street and nearly hit annoying neighbors.

hahhaaaa! love it

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- Curse my dirty apartment parking lot.
- Check fuel.
- Curse my "enforced" apartment speed limit.
- Drive with skip-shift arrow on in parking lot.
- Curse NJ cops.
- Meet up with NY VCA and let the fun begin.

OP
OP
D

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now I guess those are the words I really wanted to hear anyway. Party on Garth, and enjoy yourself doing it bro! All systems go for Viper acquisition by the 4th of July ghostwriter, as the viper is indeed a symbol of our ultimate American kick A$$ freedom!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang Leslie, we do the same things to our cars before we drive them. Well, I don't check my tire pressure or my engine oil. I figure if my tires aren't flat and there is no oil on the floor, I am good to go. I honestly don't clean my car before I leave neither. I have to be honest here, I really don't lift the hood to cool the engine down and clean the car and wheels when I return from a drive either. Well this sux, we DON'T do the same things to our cars. Oh wait, I don't do my own maintenance either, I have a mechanic check it out as you do. DING DING DING WINNER :D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Q'1.: What if any are your golden rules when operating the beast?

Q'2.: What are your normal (ritualistic) preflight & postflight checks for before and after driving?

Q1: Just have fun!

Q2: Preflight: Car must warm up before driving. Usually takes about 10 minutes. Allow the car to get to the operating temperature.

Postflight: CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and then wax.

OP
OP
D

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah another nugget that will make life easier! Let the damn thing warm up! I'll remember such a simple and relevant suggestion.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan.
Your question bring to clarity one of the unique, and fantastic things about our Vipers. Many exotics indeed have a checklist that must be attended to.

They are fragile and tempermental prima donna's. Our Vipers are much more user friendly. Treat them like normal cars.

Only exotic thing is their preference for Mobil 1 and premium fuel. Other than that, just fire them up, drive easy till warm, and unleash the beast. Just don't floor it in the corners, and drive heads up.

No other car in the world can compare to the Viper. On any given day you can drive it to the road course, be the fastest car on the track, and cruise home with the air and stereo blasting.

Next day down to the drag strip, where you will dominate any other stock car, and drive home with your trophy.

The next day, after a little Zaino you will walk away with peoples choice award at your local car show, and drive home with the prettiest girl there.

Vipers are a little magical. The ViperNation is a little radical...

OP
OP
D

Dan_Auito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Premium fuel, tire pressure, warm it up, drive with head screwed on squarely and open hood to cool it down once finished. You guys are right, who needs a full blown freegin checklist? Drive the damn thing! I'll polish it too! (promise)

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that detail spray bit! I did that for the 1st year. A little the 2nd year. Now, I haven't washed my red car since the ViperDays finals! I've driven it about a dozen times since then.
Am I bad? :eek: