Pushrod length with Harland Sharps???

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adding a set of Harland Sharps on my 96 GTS. Does the length vary from car to car? If not what length do I need for this setup? I did buy the adjustable pushrod but dont want to tie up the installer if it is a standard length that works...Thanks...AL

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats one thing I was wondering, why does the pushrod length change when installing new rockers? Whats wrong with the ones that are in there

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I needed 7.4" for my 95RT/10, the stock size was 7.5" if I remember correctly.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RR vs. Stock, Mostly because the pivot point is displaced(higher I believe). The Mopars I sell will typically take anywhere from 7.500" to 7.700". Just depends on the car.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hrm, I really wanna do roller rockers too but am also hesitating because of the unknown length. Didn't have to do anything special with them on my mustang...

I'd love to just buy a set of pushrods and roller rockers, and install on a Saturday and be done with it. Measuring, ordering and waiting for the custom length to arrive blows.

Also, anybody know why the Harland Sharps are ~$600 while all the other brands are well over a grand? Am I missing something?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my Arrows (Sharps??) use a 9.45"
In a few weeks I will have the Arrow Rockers and pushrods for sell. I will also have a very good deal on a set of Jesels that have only been ran about four weeks.
I am having a custom set of Jesels made and just put these others on until the custom set is done. So happens, the pushrods I used with the Arrows worked with the Jesels but will not work with the set I am having made.

The Arrows have given me great service with zero problems at a reasonable price.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hrm, I really wanna do roller rockers too but am also hesitating because of the unknown length. Didn't have to do anything special with them on my mustang...

I'd love to just buy a set of pushrods and roller rockers, and install on a Saturday and be done with it. Measuring, ordering and waiting for the custom length to arrive blows.

Also, anybody know why the Harland Sharps are ~$600 while all the other brands are well over a grand? Am I missing something?

I sell the Mopar(T&D's), brand new for $850. PM me if you want a set. :2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check with Sean Roe he sells all three brands.From what I understand the harland are good up to about 600HP.The mopar or T&d do not have the correct geometry but you can make do.Have to mill the stands in the heads to get them perfect.Jesel fit perfect and are used in drag cars,nascar,etc.More expensive but the best.No worries.Don't have to upgrade them later.Sean sells push rods for all three.He sent 7.65 with the Jesel and they were perfect for my year car.. GTS Bruce

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly does "good up to about 600hp" mean? Does that mean they will actually fail if you're pushing more than that? I really want to run a Paxton in the future, but have no idea when that'll happen. Don't want to install these if I have to pull them off later because of the blower.

I should call Roe about it, but I always think about it after closing time. :p

Thanks for the additional info.

-Chris

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen rockers rated in hp. The factor that would be most important would be the rpm....most Vipers don't change that even with mods.

My Arrow rockers (I think they are the same as Sharps) served very well for over two years at 790whp 950wtq.

D

DAMN YANKEE

I thought I would give my 2 cents on this issue fearing that the casual reader would come away thinking that the Harland Sharps has a critical failure issue.
The thought that somebody out there is going to run out and buy a $1,500 (plus rods) lifter set when a $700 lifter set (with rods) will do perfectly is concerning. I was also concerned that someone had rod length/set-up concerns and thought, in regard to H-S, this might help too.

I use the Harland Sharps SLS 1.7 sets on my Roe 5lbs 2000 GTS. They were on there before the car had the blower, so I got a good idea what a car with smooth tubes, better filters and all else stock felt like with new lifters.

Before we go there, mine are:

1. Harland Sharps 1.7 (Roe #HS-SV10)
2. Pushrods are 7.500 (Roe #TD-083)

You must be registered for see images

I am not a mechanic. I rely on what good mechanics tell me and I ask alot of questions. I look for good mechanics that are patient enough to realize I really do care and am ready to listen and learn. I asked alot of questions about valve lifters and I got good solid information form both Sean Roe and Chuck Tator on this issue. They both knew my rig was going to end up in the 600 horse power range. I was going to go to a 5 lbs blower, hi-flo cat, 3" cat backs. I would try not to use water/****, I would not be using NOS. I would not be changing my pistons, I would not be changing my heads out, no special crank. And all of that might change!!

For my application there was no doubt, none, that the H-S lifters were the right answer. Rob put them in, the job went without incident, the rods are correct for this application.

Here they are, pre Roe.

Chuck suggested that the H-S were "bullet-proof" and perfect for my application. He went on to explain:

1. They are excellent for up to 700 HP and they only run into issues when used on high horsepower cars that race alot. Then, one is better off going with heavier shafts, better retainers, twin needle bearings and stiffer units...and that will more than double the cost. I was left with the impression that H-S failures are not common, that H-S failures are NOT immediate failures, but rather in heavy race engines that can slightly begin to shift laterally, wearing and loosening. That my use of them is absolutely correct and I can go on to worry about something else altogether. When we later discussed an interesting Viper valve cover design that allows the top of the valve cover to come off for racing inspection (leaving the majority of the cover still on the head), Chuck commented that inspecting your top end is of paramount importance to racers, wear inspection of lifters being a large part of this. When they go..they can look like this in the worst of instances and in about 1 second, but his is not the kind of failure that the H-S have on the biggest rigs and inspect as a racer should.

(this is not a Viper, these lifers are PRW BlueMaxs and the issue was oil pressure failure here.

Now, back to the H-S lifters. H-S are single needle bearing lifters. The horsepower gains are listed at their web site as being between 15-40 hp. I'm guessing in the stock set-up they are at the bottom end of that range BUT, Chuck said "You will feel this in the seat" and I did. One immediately notices a difference in acceleration, very rewarding. Ever see stock Viper lifters? Think stamped steel. The H-S are lighter and have a needle bearing.

Both Chuck and Sean made it clear that a high induction set-up would really make the new rockers come alive and, folks, I'll never know because when you add 5 lbs ino the mix the whole ride is mind blowing! I'm thinking maybe with these lifters we are moving up from 15hp to,well, more!

The more expensive lifters have needle bearings on either end. They also have different saftes and mounts. Jesels are twice the price, they will take your car to just about where-ever you want to end up. You can see the difference... Take a look.

Folks, they BOTH are going to work perfectly all the way to 700hp+ motors (read this thread and you will see a guy using the H-S on a big motor.) They BOTH are 1.7 units. I, for one, was happy to pay $700 for both lifters and rods, rather than $1,500 for just the lifter. I'll use that cash on other parts. My 2 cents...
Apologies to all mentioned if I misquoted/misunderstood.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Yankee, nice write up. I agree with you for the most part, one thing though, I believe you mean "Roller Rockers", not lifters. The problems with all these rockers is potential needle bearing failure, as well as rocker failure at the trunion where the bearings are placed. Nose rollers rarely fail, but with all these rockers made of Aluminum, fatigue over time becomes a factor. Checking for proper clearnces at least yearly should become part of your plan. I believe, for your application, youv'e made a great choice, just remember that they are not maintenance free as some might lead you to believe.

Reaction score
The Harland Sharp rockers are best used with stock valve springs and stock cam. The rockers don't know how much horsepower the engine makes, but they do know how much spring they are fighting. The problem with the HS's on a ported set of heads with stiff sprigns is that they flex a lot. They move all over the place when looked at on a spintron machine. It's not a problem with the rocker itself but in the way it's mounted. It can flex a lot.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Greg,
Can you speak to the Geometry of the T&D's? Can they be bolted on without milling the stands and still wrok properly?

D

DAMN YANKEE

Sorry, roller rocker it is and Chuck Tator did say stock springs (forgot to mention that).

Chuck had to remind me they are "throttle bodies", not "carburators" a month ago too....yikes!

D

DAMN YANKEE

Spintron
The spintron machine measures movements within the engine’s valvetrain. The engine is powered by an electric motor that allows the spintron operator to control revolutions per minute to mimic track conditions. An operator can increase rpm’s to simulate a certain track’s straight-aways and then decrease then to simulate its turns. The spintron is advantageous because it allows the engine department to observe the different types of demands placed on the valve trains at the various types of tracks. (web)

Reaction score
Hey Greg,
Can you speak to the Geometry of the T&D's? Can they be bolted on without milling the stands and still wrok properly?

The trunnion of the rocker sits too high, but on a stock engine it's not something that damages parts. It only drives the people crazy that know how the geometry is "supposed" to be. T&D produces their setup with the rocker trunnion as low as it can go so it's not their fault. They have done the best that can be done with what there is to work with . To get it perfect about .125" needs to be machined off the rocker bosses when using stock length valves. When we port heads and put longer valves in it is a different situation and we actually have to shim the stand up a little to get the geometry right. With the 5.970" length valves we put in the ported Gen 2's about .060" - .080" of shim usually gets the roller tip "sweep" minimized.

D

DAMN YANKEE

No, you'll have to be satisfied that it matches your interior....
They only make them in the colors of the faster Vipers.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my Arrows (Sharps??) use a 9.45"
In a few weeks I will have the Arrow Rockers and pushrods for sell. I will also have a very good deal on a set of Jesels that have only been ran about four weeks.
I am having a custom set of Jesels made and just put these others on until the custom set is done. So happens, the pushrods I used with the Arrows worked with the Jesels but will not work with the set I am having made.

The Arrows have given me great service with zero problems at a reasonable price.

9.45" ??????????
Who is this idiot :bonker:

My pushrods for the Arrow rockers are 7.475" (hey, I was close..plus 2" :) ) This is the length Arrow sent and they were just right for my 96 GTS.

I finally have these pushrods out so the Arrows and pushrods are ready to sell: $450 plus shipping

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth