Race City - CLOSING SOON

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday Calgary City Council voted to CLOSE Race City. They want the space to build a water run off pond for the neighbouring land fill. There are other choices but - and this is my opinion - the landfill facility manager wants to manage the largest landfill in Calgary and he needs this acreage to do so.

Anyway, he made compelling enough arguments that Council voted 7 for and 7 against and the Mayor broke the tie with a NO vote.

Please remember this when you vote in the next election. Ric MacGyver was on our side 100%. If he makes a move for the Mayor's chair he get's my vote!

If Linda Fox-Mellway is your alderman I encourage you to vote against her. She voted to close Race City and, in my opinion, has serious intellectual challenges. She's my Alderman and is a walking screw-up. Lately she just votes with the Mayor. That way she doesn't need to think I guess.:confused:

Calgary City Council voted to close the only racing facility we have - there are no other options. Well... other than MacLeod Trail.:omg:

I'm really pissed over this. It's a critical facility to all high performance car owners (and none are higher than Vipers!) in Southern Alberta, most of B.C. and Saskatchewan. It's the only roadcourse for hundreds and hundreds of kilometers... maybe even thousands of km? CLOSED. For a flipp'n water run off pond.

Brilliant.

Let's hope the Badlands facility get's going quickly.

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When Shepard Raceway closed in the 80's there was a huge increase in street racing, I am sure we will see the same again. Shame on Calgary City council for this decision.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track is closing. Done. Kaput. Finito. Down and out.

The only question left is when. Right now it looks like the end of this season. It's highly unlikely that there will be a 2010 season at Race City.

If you want to get your car on the track in Calgary - this is your last chance.

Period.

Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fireball, you still looking into a day at the "park" for a Viper day? If you need a hand, send me a PM

I have everything covered.

We still need to confirm the date. Unfortunately the guys at the track have been very, very busy petitioning council and doing media stuff. I think they're busy with their laywers now!

Anyway, I'm really hoping to have a date confirmed by the end of tomorrow. Once we have the date set everything else will fall into place.

I'll be sure to post information here when I have it.

Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still working on setting up our track day..... I haven't forgotten!

There's a lot to get set up so I appreciate you patienece.

Hopefully we can announce everything early next month.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
June, 22nd. Craig sent out an e-mail to the membership a few days ago.

I just finished up 2 days at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) and then 2 more days at Thunderhill. I'll post more information when I return to Calgary in the next few days.

The short story is that we'll do a short, one day driving trip, some 'other fun stuff' on Monday then do our track night on the evening of June 22.

I'm setting it up so we can handle both first timers and track veterans.

Details soon, thanks for your patience.

Later,
Greg

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've been following this thread please check the new one I just posted about the Western Canada Event.

We have a date! We have an event!
Greg