Rear toe deflects by Half an Inch GenII

Discussion in 'General Viper Discussion' started by Damion Green, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Damion Green

Damion Green Enthusiast

so are there any fixes for this? Ive reached out to a fellow named Eric Messley a couple times, to no avail. Is there anyone else or anything else I can do to fix the problem? How about mount a GenIII rear onto my GenII? Any suggestions?

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

How exactly is the toe deflecting? Is it more of a bump steer issue or is the mounting point actually flexing? Have you lowered the car or modified the suspension otherwise?

3. Damion Green

Damion Green Enthusiast

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. MoparMap

Wow, interesting. I know the toe pickup point on the rear knuckles has been a debate for quite some time, even up to gen 4. I guess with that kind of tire width and grip you can put some more force into them. I hadn't heard of it being as much issue on the earlier cars, but then again I'm not as well dialed in with those as I have a gen 3. That stiffener looks like it would be easy enough to build. Basically some nice pieces of DOM tubing. I suppose you could see if a gen 3 knuckle would fit on your control arms without completely messing up the geometry. I think some people have put the newer gen brakes on the older cars, so that might be part of the swap.

Damion Green likes this.
  5. Damion Green

Damion Green Enthusiast

It would be interesting to know if anyone has taken a GenIII or Gen IV rear end under the GenII. as far as the Messley piece in the article; It doesn't look like an impossible piece to make. As far as the aluminum OEM "knuckle", Id feel a little safer if I could make a steel version of that knuckle with the addition of that new piece.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. MoparMap

I had thought the diff mounting changed some between the gen 2 and gen 3, but I could be off on that. At the very least I'm pretty sure the halfshafts were different. I was fairly sure the gen 1 at least used a yoke and u joint style halfshaft while the gen 3 uses a CV style shaft with splined stub shafts on the diff. Not sure about gen 2 though.

7. jrkermode

jrkermode Viper Owner

8. haneifk

haneifk Enthusiast

Damion Green likes this.
  9. Damion Green

Damion Green Enthusiast

@MoparMap my thought was to replace the whole rear end, not just the half shafts, but that would imply that the shock and spring mounts would align, chassi to axle, then the top of the diff mounting points would also half to bolt up in the same way GenII vrs GenIII/GenIV

10. Damion Green

Damion Green Enthusiast

Thats interesting but Its not even close to being the same as the Messley(EMI) design. but the EMI design I could see as "wiggling" because it only has 1 point/bolt to hold it in place. If the bolted shaft also had some form of cradle to hold the shaft in a fixed position Id believe that the cup design would work better

11. DaveGF

DaveGF Enthusiast

I am pretty sure I have a complete set of the EMI A-arms if you are interested. I have laid eyes on one side and my mechanic is fairly certain where the other side is. Need any other Gen II parts? Have heads, hood, CDI side exhaust header system wiring harness, intake with injectors, OZ wheels, (maybe big brakes) and much more. Cheap to a good home if picked up near Dallas Texas.