Removing Cats on 2000 ACR

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I wanted to post a new thread about this because everything I was reading was from over a decade ago. I will be removing the cats on my 2000 ACR on the 20th and wanted to know if there is any updated information on where to get what I need to make sure the CEL doesn't kick on? I know a lot of people have done this so it has to be easy. We have no emission worries in OH and the car already has the mufflers removed. Once i get this done I assume I will get it tuned so the fuel map matches the open exhaust. I've read old threads about a Vtec-1 but nothing recently.

Roe Racing stopped selling the sensor bypasses about 5 years ago according to them.

Thank you everyone!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have CATS and no CEL. I'm not sure if 2000 is any different but I didn't do anything special.

No CATS and no mufflers? Damm you must have good ear plugs.

OP
OP
WHY U TRY

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have CATS and no CEL. I'm not sure if 2000 is any different but I didn't do anything special.

No CATS and no mufflers? Damm you must have good ear plugs.

Seems to be what most people say regarding cats and CEL. Just hope I’m not the exception. What year is your car?

And I just don’t understand why a Viper would be anything other than loud and aggressive sounding. The entire car makes that presentation in every other way, why not in its volume as well :)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a '97. It's in my signature.

Loud is nice but with no cats & mufflers to me it would be unbearable after 5 minutes. I don't have either but the turbos and my cross over cut out a lot of the drone so it's not obnoxious.

OP
OP
WHY U TRY

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a '97. It's in my signature.

Loud is nice but with no cats & mufflers to me it would be unbearable after 5 minutes. I don't have either but the turbos and my cross over cut out a lot of the drone so it's not obnoxious.

"updated life insurance" is great in your quote haha

All done and what I did worked great without any CEL. I bought 2 packages of these non-foulers and opened them up on the inside a little to get the sensor in them. It removed it out of the flow enough and worked perfect. Drove it about 9 hours the following weekend and no lights popped up.

Here is a link to what I bought. I used 2 for each side

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JMS6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mgardner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"updated life insurance" is great in your quote haha

All done and what I did worked great without any CEL. I bought 2 packages of these non-foulers and opened them up on the inside a little to get the sensor in them. It removed it out of the flow enough and worked perfect. Drove it about 9 hours the following weekend and no lights popped up.

Here is a link to what I bought. I used 2 for each side

Can you provide an update on those non-foulers to let me know if they really worked or if your CEL turned on eventually?

OP
OP
WHY U TRY

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you provide an update on those non-foulers to let me know if they really worked or if your CEL turned on eventually?

Happy to update.

No CEL. I've driven the Viper about 800-900 miles since the cat removal and the non-foulers install. I drove the Viper about 8 hours/600 miles in a day which was 95% on the highway as well as some very spirited driving for the other 200-300 miles. So it's seen both steady cruising RPMs and heavy variations RPMs. I would say I've given it a thorough test and can honestly say I'm very confident it works great.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Removing the catalyst is bad for the environment. For racing use we remove them, but a new calibration is needed to make the car perform at peak performance.
With the loss of backpressure a new fuel and timing curve is added. The downstream Cataylst monitor is removed as well.

John333

VCA Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 ACR. If you want loud and a beautiful sounding exhaust tone, forget the straight pipes. At purchase, mine had 3" Belanger cat back exhaust and straight pipes. I loved the sound, but not the stink nor polluting the air in my garage. Plus, it is located under two bedrooms, so exhaust seeping into them was a concern. Hence, I added high flow cats. Added bonus, they deepened the tone a little and made it even nicer, but did not dampen the volume. Just my thinking, but a beautiful car should have a beautiful sounding exhaust, not the nasty tone of an open exhaust.
A guy in our club has a Gen2 with open exhaust. It is a little louder than mine, but not enough to matter.
On early morning jaunts, I still have to take it easy leaving the neighborhood to avoid waking the neighbors, but I've received complements on how good my car sounds. I'm guessing they don't mine as much when I do wake them. Just some food for thought!

OP
OP
WHY U TRY

WHY U TRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing the catalyst is bad for the environment. For racing use we remove them, but a new calibration is needed to make the car perform at peak performance.
With the loss of backpressure a new fuel and timing curve is added. The downstream Cataylst monitor is removed as well.

...so racing is bad for the environment? :bigok:

I will be doing a tune once I feel like straight pipes is what I want. I will admit I've gone back and forth on putting a "cat back" exhaust on to tone it down just a hair but I don't miss the heat on the sills and I'm sure my paint is happier too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper