Replacement Speaker & Stock Harness On A Gen 1 Door (Ohms matter?) Need Help.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well as you can see from the pic, she sure is hell blown, lol, I'm amazed I got any sound at all. I'm on my way out to pick up some new speakers tonight. Anyway I unhooked it at the harness and I'm guess I have to re-solder the speaker side of the harness to a new speaker correct? I included a picture of where the harness is soldered onto the speaker tabs, and just wondering how it goes onto a new replacement speaker since they only have 2 tabs don't they, not 3? :dunno: Do use buy an adapter or how did you do it? Thanks for any guidance

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know how this goes ..... my speakers are probably in the same shape and I'll probably replace them this winter

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will, just hope someone responds about how to solder the new ones in. Anyone???? Bueler......Bueler.........

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, think I figured it out, can someone PLEASE verify I would be doing this right. According to the wiring diagram (pic below) it looks like while there are the 4 wires, the lighter ones (blue and green) would go to the positive and the darker (blue and green) would go to the negative of the new 2 tab speakers correct? I'm almost sure this right looking at the diagram and the speaker harness but wouldn't hurt to have a set of experienced eyes look at it for me, thanks!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes you should be able to connect both +'s together then both -'s. Your new speakers Should be a 4 ohm speaker im guessing and it DOES matter. Your new speaker should just have 2 quick connects. Two flat taps. 1 positive and 1 negative.
My Gen 2 speakers are out right now as i am replacing them as well. But they are not wired up like yours. And mine are still factory. They only have 2 wires going to the mid and then 2 wires to the tweeter.
What speakers are you replacing them with??
Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, great that is what I thought I should do. I'm going with Polk Audio DXi650's. I listened to everything in the store very close, from soft to blaring loud. My top pics where Alpine, Infinity and the Polk Audios. By the end the Polk Audio speakers are what I was trying to compare everything too and nothing was as good IMO. I'm a lead guitar player as well so a bit of a tone freak, and just like when I buy amps, I do not look at the name brand or price or anything that is "marketing" related, just how it sounds, period. When I did that with the speakers the Polk Audios came out on top, hopefully they sound as good in the car.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well new speakers are in and I just can't believe the difference. My Driver's side OEM speaker's cone was completely gone lol. These new Polk Audio (Marine Certified as well) are just amazing, it is like I have a whole new system. I upgraded to the 6.5" from the 5.25, damn that was a tight fit and I had to drill some new holes, but wow sooooooo worth it. I actually have to listen with the volume about 5-8 clicks lower or it is ear shattering and I can finally hear all the little nuances of the music :2tu:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice job and glad it all worked out.
I have a couple questions for you, i hope u don't mind.
For the fit, did they fit back in the same hole as the OEM or are they sitting on top? Also is there any clearence issues on the passenger side hitting the dash when the door is shut? Just wondering cause i am activly looking for speakers for my Gen 2 and i am looking at the JL C2 components. I looked at some Alpine and Kicker put the grills are to big and bulky and hit the dash when the door is shut. Yours seems to look good though. Are you also running the factory deck and amp?

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice job and glad it all worked out.
I have a couple questions for you, i hope u don't mind.
For the fit, did they fit back in the same hole as the OEM or are they sitting on top? Also is there any clearence issues on the passenger side hitting the dash when the door is shut? Just wondering cause i am activly looking for speakers for my Gen 2 and i am looking at the JL C2 components. I looked at some Alpine and Kicker put the grills are to big and bulky and hit the dash when the door is shut. Yours seems to look good though. Are you also running the factory deck and amp?

Don't mind at all, there is no clearance issues as far as being able to shut the door. As far as going into the same hole the answer is "kinda" lol. What I mean is I needed maybe 1/8" more but didn't want to cut anything so if you just drill the holes and "push" hard as you are snugging everything down it will go in, probably b/c it is just forced to when the screws are tightened plus the panel probably gives a little as well. You could simply "trim" the panel a bit but it is not necessary, just be careful and make sure you drill the new holes only when you have the speaker perfectly centered. And, no my deck is not stock, it was upgraded before I bought it to a CD/Ipod capable deck.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats good to know, thanks for the info. I am hoping to get mine ordered up shortly.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well new speakers are in and I just can't believe the difference. My Driver's side OEM speaker's cone was completely gone lol. These new Polk Audio (Marine Certified as well) are just amazing, it is like I have a whole new system. I upgraded to the 6.5" from the 5.25, damn that was a tight fit and I had to drill some new holes, but wow sooooooo worth it. I actually have to listen with the volume about 5-8 clicks lower or it is ear shattering and I can finally hear all the little nuances of the music :2tu:

Great to hear... If you can hear the nuances of the music you need to get a new exhuast. :omg:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL, I meant when the engine is off! Seriously though, b/c they are not blown now I can crank it up finally :headbang:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I upgraded to the 6.5" from the 5.25, damn that was a tight fit and I had to drill some new holes, but wow sooooooo worth it.
Well it started with pulling the door speaker grill to remove rust (from my sweaty leg resting against it) and repaint. Now I want to upgrade both door speakers while I'm at it (nothing wrong with them). I think my speakers are 6"; are Gen2's different in this respect than Gen1's? I guess the stock grill will not work with replacement speakers? Any depth restrictions?

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Grisoman,

The speakers will come with the new grills, so no reason to reuse the old ones, was that what you were asking?

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grisoman,

The speakers will come with the new grills, so no reason to reuse the old ones, was that what you were asking?
Yes, thanks. I assume the replacement grills snap on instead of screw on like stock. I would like to reuse the stock grill if possible.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doubt you will be able to use the stock grill, but possibly if it was the EXACT same design. In my picture above you can see it is a different design, not to mention a 1/2" bigger. Why reuse the stock grills? I'm just asking b/c they are just a wire screen, nothing really special about them IMO, I'd just put them in a box for "stock" parts you save and go with the brand new ones that come with whatever speakers you buy.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why reuse the stock grills?
Label me off-the-deep-end, but I prefer to keep trim items looking cosmetically stock & boring. No chrome knobs, CF bezels, or replacement ash trays for me. Ater too much thought, I did spring for a pair of red/black checkered coco mats though:crazy:.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more about all the decked-out interior bits, and even gaudy grills, but as you can see in the picture above on the polk audios, they look almost identical to stock boring black ones they just fit the new speakers, but whatever floats your boat, good luck with whatever you do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine