Replacing cam

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without having the repair manual on hand, does anyone know if the engine has to be removed to do a cam swap? If not does the cam clear the steering rack? It appears all I have to do is remove the radiator and tranny cooler, and it should clear the block, but I may be wrong just thought I would ask before getting into the job.:dig::dig: Thanks for any input.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Our guys out here tell me they generally pull the engine to swap the cam.

You may want to contact DC Performance.

Dan

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technical answer is no you do not "need" to remove the engine. It is a thousand times easier if you do. I have not done this, only talked with several of the experts.

:usa:

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technical answer is no you do not "need" to remove the engine. It is a thousand times easier if you do. I have not done this, only talked with several of the experts.

Thanks Robzilla. So what is the problem with leaving the engine in? Do you know if the rack has to be removed... that seems like it would be the only kind of pain in the *** thing to remove... other than that just the radiator and cooler.Can you wxpand on why you say its easier to remove the engine. Either way I am going to do the job , just trying to see what problems people have run into. Thanks again.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the radiator, front support bar, and all that other junk in front of the engine. Remove the windshield cowl. Remove the drive shaft and tilt her up. Be sure to plug the back of the trans or remove the fluid prior to.

Ive heard it's not too bad to do, but heck I haven't tried.

OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the radiator, front support bar, and all that other junk in front of the engine. Remove the windshield cowl. Remove the drive shaft and tilt her up. Be sure to plug the back of the trans or remove the fluid prior to.

Ive heard it's not too bad to do, but heck I haven't tried.

So you think the motor needs to be tilted to get the cam to clear? Brings a bit of new light to the subject. Thank you.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhh ABSOLUTELY. I assume you could take off the front fascia and clear the way to slide it out completely without tilting. :dunno:

I do know the whole cam change is a PITA. Worth it, but a PITA nonetheless.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO engine does not need to be pulled,Nor does the drive shaft need to be pulled, Just raise the motor in the car 2" and support the motor by the mounts and frame, Drop out oil pan and remove front cover and remove pan, Not hard at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO engine does not need to be pulleed,Nor does the drive shaft need to be pulled, Just raise the motor in the car 2" and support the motor by the mounts and frame, Drop out oil pan and remove font cover and remove pan, Not hard at all.

Perfect.... thanks for your input. Time to get some parts ordered and get it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960