Rev Limiters?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Advice from this thread "Bring it up to 6000 RPM's, you'll find out."

If you DO decide to follow this pathway...BE CAREFUL...noting that when I tried same in an stock 03 SRT-10, slowly inching toward the revlimiter in 2nd gear...the power cut-back was so violent that I nearly spun it on dry pavement...MUCH like the old "handbrake turn".

I would NOT recommend you repeat my folly.

ACR VYPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My red arrow comes on at about 5,800 RPMs and the rev-limiter steps in just above 6,000 RPM mark.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Advice from this thread "Bring it up to 6000 RPM's, you'll find out."

If you DO decide to follow this pathway...BE CAREFUL...noting that when I tried same in an stock 03 SRT-10, slowly inching toward the revlimiter in 2nd gear...the power cut-back was so violent that I nearly spun it on dry pavement...MUCH like the old "handbrake turn".

I would NOT recommend you repeat my folly.

No need to have it in gear. Let the car stand still (in neutral) and floor it. You'll see the rev limiter in action almost instantly :D I would advice to let the engine fully warm up first though...

OP
OP
S

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I"m sure I've had the car over 6000, maybe 6500 even after the arrow lites up and haven't hit it yet. Don't want to hurt anything, but just currious why I haven't hit it before?

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the same. No violent throws just a clean loss of power and easily corrected.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Rev Limiter on all Gen-3 [03-06 cars] is 6100 RPM. Unless your PCM has been re-flashed, it should be the same.

However, note that the Mopar Performance/Comp Coupe (P45101072) ECU DOES NOT have a rev limiter that would matter much on a Viper engine. They are set to the PCM max value of 8192... so its not going to help much preventing over-revving. If you happen to have one... that would sure explain it...?

ZO6KLR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hit it all the time!!:D

Recently I have been running the car to around 60 and then going to second. There at 60 is where the limiter is (in first anyways).

OP
OP
S

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do have a tune in from Roe Racing with a SCT programer. Maybe that raised it a bit?

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No need to have it in gear. Let the car stand still (in neutral) and floor it. You'll see the rev limiter in action almost instantly :D I would advice to let the engine fully warm up first though...

Is that advisable when having NO LOAD on the engine?