SCT Tuners? yay or nay?

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking of getting the SCT Tuner, the one thats on special for $399.

What are your thoughts and experiences with it?

Local shop told me they were garbage and that i should run the AEM one.

I have an 06 coupe with just intake and exhaust.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get you viper on a dyno with a wideband to run a baseline first then email the results(.drf) to DCperformance, or ViperSpecialty, or ROEracing and have them tell you what they think they can improve. If your A/F is close to ideal then it might not be worth the effort to tune for a couple hp.

Someone with a Gen3 with similar modds to you should be able to make a more helpfull recommendation than me though...

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With basic mods it will give you nice gains. Mainly in the mid range. I'd only get an AEM is you plan on running boost and even then only if you plan on running800rwhp plus. Tuners can do wonders with stock PCM like DC performance and, before Phil jumps in here, Doug Levin.
Im running a little over 800 rwhp and have a AEM fuel timing device (not the 3k AEM uni) and the PCM flashed. About to get retuned using the SCT flash.

Id save $2500 if i were you adn get teh SCT, especially if your not going to boost much

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things such as turning the fan on sooner is a big plus, so its not always about Highpower, but a better all around performing car that keeps its cool.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be running away from that "local" shop if that is their "expert" understanding of the SCT in a Viper application vs. their advice to go with an AEM for what you are trying to accomplish.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean at Roe is using SCT on twin turbos so i think its probably the way to go. Ask him DC performance or Viper specialties what they think. Not some local shop that probably knows jack about vipers.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a aem on my 99 rt10 and a sct on my 2003..SCT hands down..I got mine from Viper specialty and iy is an amazing product..

The AEM is as good as the tuner..But the aem also has inherent desighn flaws..Mine was the newer version two model...Even though it was the newer model I still had problems with the rpm's moveing around on their own and the car some times seeming like it just lost the tune..

There were some grounding issues that were supposed to be fixed on my newer model..But as you can see..It seems like they were still there.

The sct on the other hand..Wow..It's seemless and just makes your car run better with no problems and added power..better exhaust note..smoother with less of the stock low rpm bucking..

Trust me..get the SCT..Reguardless of the price differance it is the best choice and better product. The aem is only better if you are gonna build a forced inductioned/sprayed just im talking out of this world build...

But for your basic modding..sct all the way

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lol that shop told you to use aem for simple mods...haha

I'd only run an aem if I was building a drag car. Sct is perfect for simple mods such as bolts ons/blowers.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking of getting the SCT Tuner, the one thats on special for $399.

What are your thoughts and experiences with it?

Local shop told me they were garbage and that i should run the AEM one.

I have an 06 coupe with just intake and exhaust.

Who has them on sale for $399.00?

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SCT is just the device to deliver the tune and DC is THE shop to go to for custom tunes. In fact I have an extra SCT over there with them and I will let it go for $200. EDIT: SCT sold.

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCT = garbage ....uhhhh, how about no.

I got the tstat and SCT tune from DC and car runs smoother, cooler, and more responsive, haven't dyno'd after although I've had it a year. But nice thing is when i do, I can load my original tune & do a run, then load my 93 octane tune & run.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trust me the sct tune will make your car stronger..

my car with intake/exhaust/roller rockers no cats against my friends 500 rwhp very mildly cammed c6Z06 got beat by 1.5-2 cars..

A week later I added the sct tune from viper specialty ($399) and raced that same mildly cammed 500 rwhp C6Z06 again with the only addittional mod being the sct and then we were dead even...

15-20 feet may not seem like a huge deal but when you go from being 2 cars behind your opponent to right beside your opponent...ITS A HUGE DEAL!!!!

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After hitting the " search ' Button it seems to be that D C Performance are the shop of choice. Any bad or good ?? Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The SCT Flash Tuner is a fantastic product. We have been working with them from near day 1 developing this product. We have sold many, many flash tuners, all with positive results. There of course have been a few bugs along the way on some of the rarer processor codes, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a few phone calls.

The cost difference is so vast between the AEM and SCT because the SCT does not require a new computer! The AEM is a whole new hardware bundle... with a whole new bundle of potential issues as many people know. The quality between the two choices is no contest; the factory computer is of higher quality than the AEM any day of the week. The OEM computer itself is an extremely well designed and thought out computer system, has millions of dollars in R&D behind it, and almost 15 years of use under its belt. Suffice it to say, the AEM does not, and it shows. The only downside to the OEM computer is that it was designed to control primarily Normally Aspirated engines, and it lacks some features for heavily boosted applications.

The AEM certainly does have a few more bells and whistles, and can control some engine configurations that the OEM computer cannot, such as high levels of boost, integral wideband and integral boost control... but if your setup does not directly REQUIRE the use of the extra features on the AEM, Motec, Pectel, etc... you should absolutely be going the route of SCT.

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan - this is likely a dumb question, but does the SCT come ready to use "out of the box" or do you load a "ViperSpecialty tune" into the SCT which is then loaded onto the specific car?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan - this is likely a dumb question, but does the SCT come ready to use "out of the box" or do you load a "ViperSpecialty tune" into the SCT which is then loaded onto the specific car?

All SCT devices come from SCT blank without a tune. The respective SCT tuner writes and uploads their tune into the flash device before shipment to the customer.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I tried for several years to get the AEM's I bought for my Paxton car to work well and offer good drive-ability along with good performance. I bought a back up AEM unit so that I could drive the car while the other AEM unit was at the (AEM) shop for diagnosis and calibration. As a result, I now have two updated AEM units on hand (with very little useage) that I no longer need or want. If you are building a high horsepower car, PM me if you would like to buy one or both.

I got tired of the drive-ability issues, went to DC and had them program my factory computer.

After 500 miles, the car starts, runs and drives like stock.....until the pedal gets closer to the floor. The car just passed the "sniffer" (CA smog test) running cleaner than the OE readings on a Gen III....and it makes over 900 rwhp and over 850 rwtq.

Call Dan at DC and let him know what you are trying to accomplish. Very little doubt he can do whatever you'd like, computer wise.

Dan

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The SCT Flash Tuner is a fantastic product. We have been working with them from near day 1 developing this product. We have sold many, many flash tuners, all with positive results. There of course have been a few bugs along the way on some of the rarer processor codes, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a few phone calls.

The cost difference is so vast between the AEM and SCT because the SCT does not require a new computer! The AEM is a whole new hardware bundle... with a whole new bundle of potential issues as many people know. The quality between the two choices is no contest; the factory computer is of higher quality than the AEM any day of the week. The OEM computer itself is an extremely well designed and thought out computer system, has millions of dollars in R&D behind it, and almost 15 years of use under its belt. Suffice it to say, the AEM does not, and it shows. The only downside to the OEM computer is that it was designed to control primarily Normally Aspirated engines, and it lacks some features for heavily boosted applications.

The AEM certainly does have a few more bells and whistles, and can control some engine configurations that the OEM computer cannot, such as high levels of boost, integral wideband and integral boost control... but if your setup does not directly REQUIRE the use of the extra features on the AEM, Motec, Pectel, etc... you should absolutely be going the route of SCT.

Dan,

Since my '05 is half-way around the world, how would I go about to get it tuned, do you have "off the shelf" tunes for various mods, or would you require a baseline run on a wideband oxygen sensor? [I understand that you can e-mail me new maps for uploading to the OEM PCM via the SCT device]

The thing that always nags me is the fuel we have here in Europe, I'm running the car on 100 octane (premium pump gas), and that *should* translate to 94-95 US type octane..

I heard that European-converted Gen-IIIs made 520hp due to the re-tune for European fuel, and I'd like to make use of the extra power along with some basic bolt-ons.

Thanks,

Guy

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just wondering how much boost can the SCT handle ie. 10 ,12, 14 psi ? Thanx :) :drive:

1 Bar or boost max, or roughly 15lbs. You will lose too much resolution running anything more than a 2-bar map sensor. However, it is far easier said than done setting up a JTEC for boost.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

Since my '05 is half-way around the world, how would I go about to get it tuned, do you have "off the shelf" tunes for various mods, or would you require a baseline run on a wideband oxygen sensor? [I understand that you can e-mail me new maps for uploading to the OEM PCM via the SCT device]

The thing that always nags me is the fuel we have here in Europe, I'm running the car on 100 octane (premium pump gas), and that *should* translate to 94-95 US type octane..

I heard that European-converted Gen-IIIs made 520hp due to the re-tune for European fuel, and I'd like to make use of the extra power along with some basic bolt-ons.

Thanks,

Guy

Hi Guy,

I have base tunes for standard mods, sure. If you want to double check your car on a dyno or with Wideband after the fact, I will certainly correct it for you if needed.

I can also set you up with a tuning package so you can tune yourself in Europe...?

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my SCT/Tune/thermostat from DC - Runs much smoother and stronger though the entire RPM range, more power, runs cooler with the T-Stat along w/ the fans coming on sooner........and so on........well worth the $$$..