Should the next Vert be a convertable hardtop?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been thinking a bit about the next Gen Viper.

Wondering if the next Vert should be a convertible hardtop, or cloth hardtop?

The down side of the vert hardtop is additional cost, weight less trunk room and complexity.

The upside is more styling options, quieter interior, upscale market.

Assuming that the Vert will not be the highest performance version. That there will be a standard coupe, and track specific ACR, perhaps the time has come for the Viper to step it up a bit with a hard top that folds down into the trunk. (Like Mercedes SL).

While the additional weight would slow it down a bit on the track, its additional elegance might expand the marketplace. The current Vert with cloth top is not acceptable at most of the tracks without roll bar enhancements. The hardtop and ACR would take care of Ring records.

Whatcha think?

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I like retractable hardtops, I say leave them to the german luxury cars. The added cost, weight, and complexity detract from what the viper is.

Next thing you'll be wanting cup holders, cruise control, and an automatic! :D

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Galpin auto Sports makes a Mustang with a retractable hard top, and it does look nice! But being in SoCal, I personally don't see the need for a retractable hard top viper, unless it would make it track legal. But I do like going on road trips, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of what little trunk space we already have. Maybe a nice looking Factory hard top would be good for weekend racers, like one weekend per year, and cold climate owners. My '68 corvette looked really good with the hard top on.

I do wish they would replace the decorative roll hoops with functional hoops.

I wouldn't mind trading one of the two cigarette lighters and ash tray for two good cup holders.

Cruise control is a must on any $30,000+ car.

Auto would only be good if it's a REAL auto-manual like a Ferrari or GTR - something that is better than manual, but can still be auto for when you are stuck in traffic.

~Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21