So I met some Tuners

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped at work tonight to drop off some stuff and while I was inside I left FE207 outside. When I returned there were two or three tuner cars with their 17 year old drivers admiring my car.
One of the cars was a Honda S2000 with all the typical tuner stuff. After talking to the guys for a while it was obvious we all had the same thing in common, and that's cool cars. I have to admit I was a little surprised but the kids reminded me of myself when I was that age. One of the kids made the comment, "man, I thought everyone with an exotic car was a ****, but you're not" So the next time you see a tuner give em a break. Remember, this is the gemeration that will be buying our cars twenty years from now;)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or they could be the ones running the fastest street legal 4 cyl. cars. Maybe by then the Gov. will have decided to pass laws maxing out hp at 100? Maybe only legally allowed to buy 1 gallon of gas per day, LOL.

Who knows. It's always good to be nice to everyone that will allow you to be nice to them. Save all assh_le parts of your personality for the losers that ask you for it. :)

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty cool that they were nice and into cars like that. I can totally relate as I have been there before. I talked to several Viper owners a few years back and it always made my day when they were nice to me.

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only problem is, all the kids who stop to talk to me about my Viper want me to do smokey burnouts on my way out!! I've had to start telling them "you bring me some $1,000 tires and I'll glady burn 'em off for ya!"

I was stopped outside the mall just yesterday by some kids in an Eagle Talon. I have to agree with Brentt - I was the same way when I was younger. :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have NEVER had a problem with those guys. they always like my car and i respect theirs....

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you, Brentt~!!! We're the same way. We meet up each week with various cars, and we all respect each other's choice in vehicle. Everyone loves their own car, right??? KUDOS...juli

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mostly hang around with the tuner crowd because that's where I came from only a couple years ago. Plus, around here those are the only car guys that meet up regularly. I'm in that age-group and we all like the same things. I respect their cars and they drool on mine :smirk:
They knew me before, when I had an RX-7, and they understand that I have done well enough to move up to the Viper. I think it gives them a better outlook on guys with high-end cars. They may think twice before assuming anyone with an exotic is some ***** with too much money, because they know I work hard to afford my car. The more us Viper owners hang around the younger car guys, the more we'll understand that they are more like us than we think. And the more they are around us, the more they will see that we are not all rich a$$holes.

But it probably does look funny when people see my Viper cruising around with a bunch of tuner cars :rolaugh:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually hang around tuners on Sunday evenings. Most, if not all cars are 4-bangers with turbos. Nothing wrong with a small Audi A4 with 440HP...I've been around the group for 7 years, never had a problem. I dont race with them, they know I do my stuff at the track and all respect that. I DO give them rides and once we come back, they are sold to big V-10's.
I'm may be 20-30+ senior to their age, but that does not seem to bother them, nor me. WE ARE ALL GEARHEADS...:headbang:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work at a company that employs a lot of "Rice Bois" who love their Hondas etc, and my landscape maintenance guy at home is in the same camp, but they all give props to my Viper - especially since it is a Gen II. When I tell them that I used to drive a modded all-wheel-drive Eclipse they realize I "used to be one of them" but then learned the love of American cubic inches. Then when I tell them how cheap used Vipers have gotten I think they even give a little thought to "upgrading" on there next car. Seems like a supercharged Mustang might be a more budget middle step, but once they go American they won't want to go back (thus all the ex-Supra guys who now drive Vipers and frequent this board). But you are totally correct, we all have the love of cars in common and that starts the conversation.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bunch of stupid ricers around my area. Running around with their fart cans blairing for the world to hear as they hit 30MPH in a matter of minutes. Then come up and try to rev on me like I want to race them or something... Morons aint got a lick of sense. Typically, these imports running around on the streets are FAR from tuners... if anything they are so far out of tune, they are hurting performancev.

High end Supras and the like = Tuners.
Imports with fart tips and big wings = Rice.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bunch of stupid ricers around my area. Running around with their fart cans blairing for the world to hear as they hit 30MPH in a matter of minutes. Then come up and try to rev on me like I want to race them or something... Morons aint got a lick of sense. Typically, these imports running around on the streets are FAR from tuners... if anything they are so far out of tune, they are hurting performancev.

High end Supras and the like = Tuners.
Imports with fart tips and big wings = Rice.

I've never heard the word "tuners" used for any group of cars. Around here they are "ricers" :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never heard the word "tuners" used for any group of cars. Around here they are "ricers" :D

I think that originally cars that got modified and needed 'Tuners' for them to run properly (like our cars) were called Tuners. We didn't used to be able to do our own Tunes.

Ricers was the term for making their *** cars look like they were tuners, but normally they just looked. Hence they were called Ricers or Posers.

But, different areas take different meanings.

Ted

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nope, but your wheels and aero parts moved you up to a poser

get some NAAAWWWSSS and then you'll be a tuner
:nitrous:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See Bottlefed knows it. Supercharger will make yah a tuners too, pard.

TED

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hypothetically, what category would a supercharged saturn put you in?

:burnout:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hypothetically, you would need to 'tune' an aftermarket supercharger kit.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock requires NO Tuner.

Kinda like a Shelby GT 500. Until a tuner is required to have the car run it's not a Tuner.

Ted

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is an Auto Zone $29.95 wing a tuner part? They are adjustable :lmao:

only if you install it along with those fake gills for the front fender

bonus points for putting the same gills on the hood (actually spotted that in ky 2 weeks ago)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a customer with either a turbo Talon or Eclipse. He put the engine together with a little help from his friends. Even though he will eventually hand grenade the engine with too much boost, I respect that he and his buddies actually turn wrenches. I have not hung out with them yet but would probably enjoy thier company.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a lot of knowledge with Subarus and will be going from a 401awhp STi (cars that put down 440awhp on the same dyno trap mid 130's, and your average GT35R STi makes 380awhp on it).
A lot of the "tuner" cars have VERY fun chassis to make up for their lack of power. In many situations they offer better platforms for power too (to a certain level & use). I know that my STi is much more controllable than a GTS in many tight corners and on 90% of road conditions (thanks awd).

However, the simplicity of attaining 500whp from the Viper vs. the constant overlooking of the STi at 500awhp (fuel pump, adjustable fpr, & tune away on my car) is worth the loss of lower-speed & on-road ease.

It really comes down to which type of speed makes you happy (hence the reason the Viper & Lotus Elise are so popular with completely different performance aspects).

Nick

ChrisGNJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a Viper owner yet, but I remember reading about the Somerville meet a couple years back when I had my Mini Cooper S and debating whether or not I should show up since I didn't have a Viper.

But I did, and I parked the Mini far away from the Vipers and just walked around and looked at the Vipers with my jaw dropped. I talked to the owners, told them I wasn't yet an owner, but I've loved the car since I was a kid so I felt it was right to come out and show my support.

The quote that still sticks in my mind: "Hey man, we were all Viper-less at some point in our lives." It really put things in perspective for me, and it was nice to have verification that Viper owners are nice guys.

I've always vowed when I get mine to not act like a total dick towards anyone because, as mentioned above, we were all there as onlookers and dreamers at some point.

Nice to see the younger generation well represented for a change too.:D We get a bad rap from a lot of really stupid ricer punks most of the time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62