So, is this the reason the Gen 4 codes are not being released??

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got done watching the show "Viper: Soul Survivor" and really enjoyed it.

During the interviews, they one thing that caught my attention was an engineer from Zytek Automotive from the UK. He was in charge of calibrating the engine management system for the GTS-R and or Gen 5 IIRC.

Looking at the company website, they list themselves as "Zytek instrumental in MY08 Dodge Viper engine control" which makes me wonder, do they own the rights to the Gen 4 engine management system or does Dodge? Maybe this is why the codes have not been released?

Any thoughts or factual insider information on this?

George

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So all this time we have been blaming Dodge/SRT and it was Zytek holding out????

Why would they care if we want to modify our cars? They already made their money when they sold Dodge the ECU system in
every car?

In other words, they don't lose or gain to release the codes, just a lot of happy Viper owners deciding for themselves if they want
more HP...

I don't get it....:dunno:

Reaction score
There are more politics behind it then just them, there are safety features built into the software that they may not want changed and open tuning could create liability issues regardless of what tuners promise. I also WANT a PCM that can be tuned and have asked for it to be possible since 2007 when they announced the new Venom controller. I know that it is not a good possibility, and that any custom tuning would need to be done in house, that being said takes a lot of time to get it right and the resources for that project even if it was ok'ed.
SRT wants to give us what we want, but unfortunately that is not all it takes to make it happen. We have kept the pressure on for a long time and SRT knows what is needed, they just need the proper authorization to give it out. Stay the course with pressure, but threatening to abandon Viper as some have will not get through what is holding it back so be supportive and hope that it can happen eventually.

So all this time we have been blaming Dodge/SRT and it was Zytek holding out????

Why would they care if we want to modify our cars? They already made their money when they sold Dodge the ECU system in
every car?

In other words, they don't lose or gain to release the codes, just a lot of happy Viper owners deciding for themselves if they want
more HP...

I don't get it....:dunno:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are more politics behind it then just them, there are safety features built into the software that they may not want changed and open tuning could create liability issues regardless of what tuners promise. I also WANT a PCM that can be tuned and have asked for it to be possible since 2007 when they announced the new Venom controller. I know that it is not a good possibility, and that any custom tuning would need to be done in house, that being said takes a lot of time to get it right and the resources for that project even if it was ok'ed.
SRT wants to give us what we want, but unfortunately that is not all it takes to make it happen. We have kept the pressure on for a long time and SRT knows what is needed, they just need the proper authorization to give it out. Stay the course with pressure, but threatening to abandon Viper as some have will not get through what is holding it back so be supportive and hope that it can happen eventually.

If it did not happen by now, why would it happen in the future? Chrysler actually should be blamed for this situation, Chrysler let this happen. No doubt that Ralph and the rest of the crew are aware of the sentiments owners share and if nothing happens, the responsibility for this part falls directly on them. Conveniently enough, Chrysler secured the only alternative to the stock ECM, available through its dealerships-seems like market monopoly and control-typical corporate attitude to maximize the profits.

Squidbilly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just like any other software; manufacturers rarely are going to give you a key that opens the door allowing the reverse engineering of their code.

If they made it to be modified, that would be one thing, but if they didn't... the only way you're going to do it, is through shennanigans.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe that is what Zytek got during the bankruptcy... So many others were left out in the cold. Take a look at the new suppliers of the same parts that were used in the previous generations of Vipers. The bankruptcy did a lot of ugly things to folks.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And so...the only option is to junk the Venom junk and install a AEM, Pectel or Motec....Mega Squirt my work but don't know of anyone using it. That's the only options....****ty ones at that. Had a AEM V2 on my GTS but pulling it to install a new infinity with add nice things like fuel blending, TC and LC

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of you are forgetting how long it took before Dan Cragin was able to offer custom calibrations and canned calibrations for the Gen II and Gen III. The Code was not cracked for many years.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the problems with leaving open source is that the forums are full of people that are requesting to adjust the computer for additional performance, but want to be able to put it back to stock settings if they damage something and want it covered under warranty.

In addition, the federal government requires that the company warranty against emissions related issues for 100,000 miles. Few people that want to adjust the computer are equipped to guarantee that the emissions settings will not be compromised.

For dedicated racers, in the past it has taken the aftermarket several years for them to come up with acceptable off road solutions, but they seem to eventually arrive. Two solutions were the Mopar controller and the Motec system.

But to let the average tuner get inside the engine controller leaves the manufacturer very exposed.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand all of the warranty, reliability issues etc... They (SRT/Dodge) have brainwashed us into thinking that is the reason.

Tell me why it is so easy for all my GM buddies, with everything from Camaros' to brand new Vettes', to wildly or mildly tune their cars
to THEIR DISCRETION. And they do this with nothing more than some HP Tuner software. I am constantly reminded about the huge difference in cost and effort we go through to make our Vipers run the way I (WE) want them to.

They all have the same warranty, reliability issues that we do...?

John Reed told me it is about the numbers. There aren't enough Vipers wanting to tune their cars to justify the time needed...

So we have to rely on SRT to give us the codes because we definitely won't come up with the number of cars, in comparison to GM,
needed to make it worthwhile for a tuner to do....

ROCK=HARDPLACE=:mad:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like 08-10 tuning software is in the works with more than 1 major tuning software company. Hang in there.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only good thing about this whole situation is it is saving my bank account from going twin turbo :drive:

But after going to TX2K13 last week they need to hurry, our Gen IV cars are getting underpowered and slower by the day!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TX2Kxx is the last place you want to go if you want to feel good about having a "fast" car...the people that go to that event don't mess around at all.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TX2Kxx is the last place you want to go if you want to feel good about having a "fast" car...the people that go to that event don't mess around at all.

The ironic part is that there were only 3-4 Vipers staying at the Omni hotel for the event, and everybody was drooling over them.

GTR's were out in hoards and it almost became a joke as to how many were there. 50+ at the event.