Some Header and Tune Questions (ACRX, DC Performance, Mopar Race ECU)

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a 2006 Coupe

I wanted to install the 1-5/8" X 1-3/4" step design ACRX headers no cats and a 3 inch custom exhaust (classic chambered mufflers).

First do I need a tune or will check engine lights appear and I won't run right?

Regarding the tune:
I went to the DC Performance website and don't see where I can just order a tuned ecu for the specs. I only see where they tune and dyno. Any suggestions? I'm in DFW and don't think I can ship the car to them.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Mopar Race ECU? I was thinking about getting one but it's tuned for Race camshafts, can I run it without the camshafts installed? Can I get retuned for without the camshafts?

To many questions Thanks in advance.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard not so great things about the mopar race controller so i stayed away. i belieave several had problems with the air conditioning after the install?????

i suggest a sct pro racer package and a tune actually done by a tuner on the dyno. this plus the headers will put you around 490 rwhp.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I wanted to install the 1-5/8" X 1-3/4" step design ACRX headers no cats and a 3 inch custom exhaust (classic chambered mufflers).

First do I need a tune or will check engine lights appear and I won't run right?

Regarding the tune:
I went to the DC Performance website and don't see where I can just order a tuned ecu for the specs. I only see where they tune and dyno. Any suggestions? I'm in DFW and don't think I can ship the car to them.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Mopar Race ECU? I was thinking about getting one but it's tuned for Race camshafts, can I run it without the camshafts installed? Can I get retuned for without the camshafts?

To many questions Thanks in advance.

ART is only a couple hrs from you in Buda, Tx. I heard they might know a thing or two about tuning Viper's:)

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind I found them. I will call them and see. I will also contact dallas performance. So I will need a tune for sure if I go with headers and exhaust with no cats?

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the ignorance but what does ART stand for? so I can reach out to them.

DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT go to American Racing Technology. They are the sole reason my paxton SRT10 coupe engine blew and lucky the whole car didn't blow up. The previous owner had them install their "fuel system upgrad" on the car. What a complete hack job. They shoehorned a second fuel pump in the surge tank by cutting a hole in the side of the surge tank, rendering it usless. So when the tank got low on fuel, with no surge tank, the pumps would starve for fuel, leaning the car out and causing it to detonate and destroy itself. To make matters worse, the wires were exposed to the fuel pump in the tank. If they would have touched and sparked.......booom. I'd stay far away from them.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neo, why not a custom tune? Several of my friends have taken their car to Taylor at Dallas Performance, and two of my friend's Viper's are there right now being worked on. Dallas Performance | Performance Turbo and Supercharger Systems

X2

Taylor does great work...check the shop out and you will see how good he is...Vipers, Vettes, Lambos, Ford GT, and Classic Muscle all come to his shop!

BTW...my car just put down a very good number with his GEN IV stage 3 package (minus mopar and with cats). I gained over 67 rwhp over stock!!!:drive::omg::D

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, you will get a CEL, and you will need a reflash. You could TRY tying up the secondary 02 sensors and letting them dangle in free air but leaving them connected. It works for some people. But for $400 for a SCT tuner and 'custom tune', why not. The tune will gain you more than your headers/exhaust did.

Regarding the tune:
Call them, or someone else. A mild bolt on viper (exhasut, throttle body, pulley etc) is an easy "mail order" type affair. You could then dyno the car and send whoever back some AFR data and have the tune tweeked if it's out.

Don't bother. It's not a flexible option. SCT tuner, with a file for your car.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you will get a CEL, and you will need a reflash. You could TRY tying up the secondary 02 sensors and letting them dangle in free air but leaving them connected. It works for some people. But for $400 for a SCT tuner and 'custom tune', why not. The tune will gain you more than your headers/exhaust did.

Call them, or someone else. A mild bolt on viper (exhasut, throttle body, pulley etc) is an easy "mail order" type affair. You could then dyno the car and send whoever back some AFR data and have the tune tweeked if it's out.

Don't bother. It's not a flexible option. SCT tuner, with a file for your car.

Thanks Toma for answering some of my questions.

Powerstick

Enthusiast
Reaction score