Starting Problem on my 93 RT/10

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since replacing my Idle Control Valve, my car turns for ages before starting. It does sound like a fuel delivery issue and only happens when engine is cold.

I was told to check for
fuel pump leak-down... To do that, I turn the key to the run position for a few seconds BUT, do not start it, then key off and immediately back on for a few more seconds, then off, THEN try to start it.

The engine turns less, but nevertheless, it still takes time to fire up. Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtFw4LYujkQ

And then yesterday this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6GdG03r6x0

Seems like I found the culprit, what are your thoughts and what should I look out for after installing new O Rings? Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fw8gz6qlLY

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely fix the o-rings, but I doubt that's the problem. There's not enough fuel leaking to starve the engine. If your engine wasn't getting fuel or a lack of it, the idle should be always low and rough. Your idle is all over the place. Is it new enough that a scan tool can be plugged in? I'd bet something in the idle control circuit along with a sensor are to blame. Are the throttle bodies dirty behind the choke plates? Any bad vaccum lines? loose, cracked or dried out. Check for spark when cold - just in case.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But the bad injector O rings could be sucking in air to the manifold, throwing the AF mixture off and not allowing it to build the proper fuel pressure to start and run. I would fix the injectors then go from there, look for vacuum leaks in the manifold, check all the connectors you moved when doing the IAC sensor, and check that the TB;s are adjusted correctly, you could have moved the adjustment slightly.

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem (long cranking before engine would start. Look up primer timer extender on forum. Also check to see if you have an intake manifold leak I did and it played havoc with the cars idle.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its the fuel regulator at the pump. Call me if you need. Dan Cragin 310-597-6295

OP
OP
ViperRed

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
ViperRed

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awaiting the tool so I can take those stuck injectors off!
Are the O Rings specific to the Gen1? Or can I get them off the dodge dealer for other models?

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looked around ended up going to the Dodge dealer around 80 dollars

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem in my 93. Takes forever to start. I wasnt clear reading above, is the problem the fuel regulator at the pump for just the long start? Where can one puchase this? is it an easy fix?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can replace the fuel regulator or a add a fuel pump primer timer as a stop gap.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I purchase a fuel regulator? and how to replace? thanks!
sounds vague, but you can get them anywhere. Make sure it is a regulator for a fuel injected car and not carbed :). I can't advise on how to install one on a fuel injected car though as I have only done a carbed one

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The regulators are hard to find, but they are still available at around $400 (crazy expensive), The regulator contains the check valve that keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank when you shut the engine off. Thats why you have a long crank time as the fuel needs to prime the line again every time you crank. The regulator is located in the top of the fuel pump. Some folks install a fuel pump primer timer that allows the fuel pump to run for a predetermined time when the key is turned on. With this you just turn the key on, wait a few seconds, then crank the engine over. The timer is called a ERL 960 and can be bought online or at an electrical store. I think they run about $70.

Hope this helps.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some folks install a fuel pump primer timer that allows the fuel pump to run for a predetermined time when the key is turned on. With this you just turn the key on, wait a few seconds, then crank the engine over. The timer is called a ERL 960 and can be bought online or at an electrical store. I think they run about $70.
Just adding a link for reference (should be ELK-960) : http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...nd-cure-your-Viper-Fuel-Pump-Starting-Problem by Tom, F&L GoR

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That fuel pump primer timer seems like a ton of work. The long cranking time is annoying but after 8 to 10 seconds it does eventually start. I was hoping it was a cheap easy fix. $400 for a regulator seems quite high, where can you purchase those?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The primer timer is easy to do, once you do it. Yes those regulators are very expensive. Obsolete fuel system parts sells them.

OP
OP
ViperRed

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well, kind a slow but then again, I don't drive the car much anyways.
Managed to get the injectors off, and could only find 4, need another 6.. wil order online. 3 are leaking so I'll change out those 3 plus one more.

BTW, injector o-rings from a Nissan Sylvia SR20 are identical! Just so you guys know. Same part!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
ViperRed

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 O-Rings replaced, waiting on the other 7 to be picked up.
I'll take another video later today and see if the car starts consistenly okay now. It was fine last night but I won't hold my breath too long.

http://youtu.be/UkOmd2CA_5Q

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235