Steel Gray, is it as..........................

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
exotic in person as it looks in some pics?

Certain photos, whether it be the lighting, angle or just a good photographer, steel gray can look very, very nice. That color had not been on my short list, but after seeing some extremely nice pics of it on an RT, it has changed my mind. It reminds me of other exotics in the Dupont Registry. Some have paint that is very similar. Does it have that exotic look in person?

Thx :usa:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure you dont mean Graphite offered in 2002

2 diff. colors

the only problem with the steel gray and graphite is when the blue and the reds are there,,,, nobody sees them. lol
they kind of blend in with the rest of the "masses"

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually wanted a Red car until I saw a picture of Steel Gray. The color does have a slight blueish hue and will change shades in different light, especially at dusk. Steel Gray, Graphite, Sapphire Blue, and Silver do give the car a different personality. For a lack of a better word, how about "mature".

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually wanted a Red car until I saw a picture of Steel Gray. The color does have a slight blueish hue and will change shades in different light, especially at dusk. Steel Gray, Graphite, Sapphire Blue, and Silver do give the car a different personality. For a lack of a better word, how about "mature".

slight purple hue also. just painted fascia for mn. prez.

I have a red car,,,,, I feel like about 15 :D

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steel is a lot more subtle than the vivid red, blue and yellow colors, it tends to blend into the tarmac :) over the years I've had various comments from the best color to worst. At first I wasnt sure but its kind of grown on me, I must be getting old. It does look a slightly different color in bright sunlight to dusk

pic with a very old digi camera, hence the color isnt quite right
You must be registered for see images

if I had choose another viper color I'd now return to red

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion, it looks better in person than in pics. I like it much better than the graphite, as the graphite is a little dark for me. Here are a couple more pics, one in the sun and one in the shade.

47803624pic9.jpg

4780DCP01125.JPG

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I own a 2002, and I think the 2000 is a slightly better color, although funny none of my friends think so. Eveyone that sees them side by side, picks the 2002 Graphite, over the steal gray, except for me ;-)

BUT there is ONE HUGE DIFFERENCE in those colors.. one comes with ABS and the other DOES NOT....

I'll take the Graphite please... :-D For that reason alone.

Jon

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I own a 2002, and I think the 2000 is a slightly better color, although funny none of my friends think so. Eveyone that sees them side by side, picks the 2002 Graphite, over the steal gray, except for me ;-)

BUT there is ONE HUGE DIFFERENCE in those colors.. one comes with ABS and the other DOES NOT....

Jon

You're a ******! Can't you modulate the brakes without out "help"? Looks like I'll need to throw you some pointers! :D :D

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey

Just bought a steel grey with cognac int rt/10. 1 of 99 produced its a sick color, changes up at night under the lights. Wouldn't have any other color

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

You're a ******! Can't you modulate the brakes without out "help"? Looks like I'll need to throw you some pointers! :D :D

Wanna race me you winnie? There is a lot more to vipers then straight lines, I see you on a race track. You'll have to take Chad's winnie outta your mouth in order to race me, but maybe you can break yourself away long enough to do it. Either way, winnie in your mouth or out, I'm going to win.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only problem with the steel gray and graphite is when the blue and the reds are there,,,, nobody sees them. lol
they kind of blend in with the rest of the "masses"

There are more red Vipers than any other color. That would make red 'the masses'

In my biased opinion, The one year Steel Gray color is unique in that it does subtly change colors under different light. In bright sun it is a light gray, in lower light it becomes a darker gray, under over cast skies or dusk it takes on a gun metal blue shade which can go all the way to a purplish hue. Under the right conditions, it actually changes color as you walk around it or view from different angles. While the 2000 cars may not be as desirable as some other years, I'm told the Steel Grays get a little more money on resale.

813IMG_0632-med.JPG

813IMG_0756-med.JPG

813IMG_0631-med.JPG

813Image006-med.jpg

Steve

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that is a very recent photo. Can you put your car outside and take one now? Bet it would not look so spring like!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty ugly here Ron. It was 2 degrees this morning with strong winds. Hard to believe I had the car out for a 200 mile spin 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I lifted the below from the National Weather Service site. We've probably had a couple feet the last 2 weeks. No more outside pictures till spring now--but then--you knew that--had to rub it in huh? ;)

Steve

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MARQUETTE CONTINUES THE BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST FRIDAY.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS AND STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL CAUSE
LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS INTO EARLY FRIDAY MORNING AS
WIND GUSTS TO 40 TO 45 MPH NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR AND IN OPEN AREAS
PRODUCE OCCASIONAL WHITE-OUT CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY.
SNOW SHOWERS TONIGHT WILL ACCUMULATE AN ADDITIONAL 6 TO 12
INCHES...WITH THE GREATER AMOUNTS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN WEST OF
MUNISING. SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE FRIDAY MORNING BEFORE
DIMINISHING IN THE AFTERNOON. ALTHOUGH AN ADDITIONAL 4 TO 6 INCHES
OF SNOW IS FORECAST...DECREASING WINDS ON FRIDAY WILL LIMIT THE
INTENSITY OF THE BLOWING SNOW AND ALLOW THE VISIBILITY TO IMPROVE
SIGNIFICANTLY

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to tell which is steel gray and which is graphite on the street, but when you put them together you can tell graphite is more of a road color where as steel gray has a tint of blue.
You must be registered for see images attach

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
metallic graphite is faster, known as the fastest color ever produced for a
dodge viper :D :2tu:

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steel grey/cognac is definitely one of the best combos. Just wish they offered silver stripes on the RT from the factory. The coupe is gorgeous. Just the right amount of under-statement. My 2c.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I own a 2002, and I think the 2000 is a slightly better color, although funny none of my friends think so.

I seem to think that out of the two that the 2002 - Graphite is better. Too much purple tint in the Steel Grey.

Viprrrrr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a Steel RT and would not trade the color. It does have a tendency to be overlooked when you are not with a group of Snakes, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Constantly receive comments about the color from all sorts of people, especially the ladies.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a Steel RT and would not trade the color. It does have a tendency to be overlooked when you are not with a group of Snakes, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Constantly receive comments about the color from all sorts of people, especially the ladies.

hhmmmm,,,, seems to me, the last time we were out in a group, the waitress only commented on the red one!!!!!!! LOL :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte