Tator's Motors

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, many of you have been after me for my rwhp numbers after I blew my engine back in July. I ordered a new engine, and Chuck Tator, knowing I wanted to eventually blow my motor, built me a bullet proof motor capable of handling 950 rwhp plus. In the mean while he also gave me a little more grunt in the motor by porting (actually cleaning up) the heads and installing the comp cam. He installed Manley rods and CP pistons, and a bunch of other stuff. He dropped the compression ratio a little so I could go up to 10 lbs of boost or more.
It took a few months to get my Viper back, but when I finally got her back in October with her 08 hood, navigation, roll bar and fire extinguisher...I was ecstatic to get her to the dyno.

First dyno run at Romar Racing in bum f*ck no where New York (good guys!)....479 rwhp.

I was SO PISSED I thought I would drive the car into a tree. We found out that we tested the car in limp mode the entire time due to burned up O2 sensors throwing codes. The Belangers run so hot my O2 sensors kept throwing codes w/in 30 min of driving....constantly. So, we got O2 simulators from Roe Racing, cleared the codes and went back to the dyno. Guess what..before I drove 2 miles, more thrown codes. Turns out the O2 sims needed a wiring fix, Chuck fixed that in about 10 minutes....and then off to the dyno once again. After 5 hours of testing....

486 rwhp

This time I was so pissed I was ready to drive the car into...well, I wont name any names.:mad: But it turns out my tuning was still way off.

BUT, Tator never stopped working to resolve the issue. Turns out the VEC 3 was using the wrong map for natually aspirated motors AND ANOTHER PAIR OF 02 SIMS still had reversed wiring. Tator told me to drop the car off to him personally and he would take care of getting the car to run right. He discussed the issue w/ Sean Roe from Roe Racing, and they got the tuning program together. So Chuck himself took the car up to Romar Racing for a third dyno test, and after several hours of tweaking the parameters...they finally got the car to run in her sweet zone.

528 rwhp and 537 rwtq!

I was not only very surprised, I was very pleased. Chuck emailed the results to me at like 11 pm that night, when he got back from the dyno run. Now, I know that there are some 600 rwhp n/a cars out there, but those cars are built for max performance naturally aspirated and typically run compression ratios of 10 or more. If those cars were to add boost there would be predetonation problems. Chuck built my car to hold together under maximum boost for 950 rwhp plus and still give me flywheel hp that surpasses the Gen 4!

I am very pleased and very excited to drive the car "as is", and I am not worried at all about adding a Twin Turbo or an aggressive Paxton.

I cannot say enough good things about Chuck Tator and his staff and their persistence and insistence on getting my car to run well. Tator stands behind his work and never gives up on any project he is involved with!

So, if you want a monster naturally aspirated car Tator will take your c/r up to 10 plus and give you a monster motor. If you want a strong motor for boost, Tator will build you a bullet proof motor that will run with an 08 before boost and run w/ the Bugattis after boost!

TATOR IS THE MAN!!

Last edited:

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No DOUBT .He just put a new motor in my car and all i have to say is he is the man .

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car the black SRT I saw about 3 weeks ago at his shop?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keith im glad to see you got some numbers from it you're happy with. i know your car is ready now for any power adder you decide to go with.

and id personally like to see what JD could squeeze from that now...lol

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that is good to hear, I am glad to hear that the issues have been worked out. Now your motor is good to go for a Nice TT setup ;) So what is the CID on your engine now. I bet that thing pulls hard, way to go Chuck and Sean.

G

grcforce327

Finally!!! Dyno #'s !:2tu:
And the proper term is detonation,not predetonation.Now boost that *****!:lmao:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck is a great guy, and one of the honest turners out there. He will bend over backwards for people, and this just shows what integrity is really like.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am up in Romar country. They are about 10 minutes from the Newburgh- Beacon Bridge.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black Mamba1 your very welcome! Sorry for the delay in getting the right tune on her! That WONT ever happen again, everyone involved is now on MY page!!:slap:

Black Mamba just picked up his Viper from my shop and he lives about an hour and half from me. Within half an hour of him picking up his Viper, I get a call from DII from this site and he said did someone pick up a black Viper from you today, I said "yes", well DII said "I was going the other way on the highway and I heard this Viper coming! It went by me and it sounded like no other Viper I have ever heard before! WOW!":2tu:

In a little while I'll be calling Black Mamba to get his report on the tune. I'm sure he'll let us all know what he thinks of her.:cool:

We might be doing a Dyno day event at Romar's with NY/CT region this year?:drive:

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the awesome power.....

I just got off the phone with Chuck in reguards to the head porting..Im gonna try and get him to do mine with NA power in mind..If he can give you around 530 rwhp with the comp coupe cam and heads...

Wonder what I can get with the comp coupe cam and some heads but only for NA power

Last edited:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job Chuck and Tators Dodge.....Now get here and get mine done!!!! the ice cold English ale is waiting........

D

DAMN YANKEE

Chuck has all the right tools and equipment and a good team...

piperack_copy.jpg

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator is the best and I'll be going to Romar to have my car dyno-tuned when I get her back. How far away is it?
He is way up there about an hour northwest of Chucks shop. I drove right past it the first time b/c the parking lot is rock gravel and the entry is a dirt road...boy, talk about kuntry-bumkins! But they are a bunch of good ole boys that really know their stuff.

When I was there they were putting turbo chargers on pick up trucks and on a super duty Dodge!:lmao:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First victim, black C6 Z06! I actually missed the correct exit on the way to take my wife to dinner yesterday and had to continue down the wrong highway...when I saw a black Z06 approaching in my rearview mirror on my left. Now, I am thinking...oh sh*t! I have an extra 130 lbs in the car (wifey) and full tank of gas...and here comes a Z06 w/ just one driver. But (after the local cops closed off the road for us!:D) when he passed by me on my left doing about 60, I got right on his bumper. He nailed it and I nailed it and he started pulling away or so it seemed...my wife was like "what the hell does he have in that thing?" I told her just wait until we get to open road. Once we got to open road...I was behind him, he nailed it again, black smoke coming from his exhaust...I nailed it. I started pulling him in 3rd , I switched lanes to pass him, and when I shifted to forth I walked away from him like he was pick up truck...next thing I know I am redlining in 4th gear!! I had him by about 5 cars and when I looked down I was doing about 150 or so. I got out of it and rolled down my window to give him the thumbs up...but he was not having it, he was PISSED! He followed my wife and I for another four miles or so...but I never let him even get beside me...he was simply no match. Plus, the cops were done blocking off the road for us!:D
My wife says..."now I see why u are addicted to this...that was fun!" My Vipers victory over the Z06 was consistent w/ the added horsepower...GEEZ!
I am tempted to leave her as-is...I simply cannot imagine going any faster than that race...but I know there is competition out there that will deff make me change my mind!

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the awesome power.....

I just got off the phone with Chuck in reguards to the head porting..Im gonna try and get him to do mine with NA power in mind..If he can give you around 530 rwhp with the comp coupe cam and heads...

Wonder what I can get with the comp coupe cam and some heads but only for NA power
Remember I have a conservative compression ratio, slightly under 9 for anticipated boost. If u r going to keep your motor n/a Chuck will take your c/r up to over 10 to give u 580-600 rwhp. I am gonna boost my motor, so we built the motor for that.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First victim, black C6 Z06! I actually missed the correct exit on the way to take my wife to dinner yesterday and had to continue down the wrong highway...when I saw a black Z06 approaching in my rearview mirror on my left. Now, I am thinking...oh sh*t! I have an extra 130 lbs in the car (wifey) and full tank of gas...and here comes a Z06 w/ just one driver. But (after the local cops closed off the road for us!:D) when he passed by me on my left doing about 60, I got right on his bumper. He nailed it and I nailed it and he started pulling away or so it seemed...my wife was like "what the hell does he have in that thing?" I told her just wait until we get to open road. Once we got to open road...I was behind him, he nailed it again, black smoke coming from his exhaust...I nailed it. I started pulling him in 3rd , I switched lanes to pass him, and when I shifted to forth I walked away from him like he was pick up truck...next thing I know I am redlining in 4th gear!! I had him by about 5 cars and when I looked down I was doing about 150 or so. I got out of it and rolled down my window to give him the thumbs up...but he was not having it, he was PISSED! He followed my wife and I for another four miles or so...but I never let him even get beside me...he was simply no match. Plus, the cops were done blocking off the road for us!:D
My wife says..."now I see why u are addicted to this...that was fun!" My Vipers victory over the Z06 was consistent w/ the added horsepower...GEEZ!
I am tempted to leave her as-is...I simply cannot imagine going any faster than that race...but I know there is competition out there that will deff make me change my mind!

Man Im jeolous....Chucks gonna get back to me in a few days with the cost on porting my heads for NA power....Seems like you were able to just play with that C6Z06....After the last video of the SRT10 vert that only had 478 rwhp edging out a stock C6Z06 by a car or so....Well you've got another 50 rwhp on that SRT10..So no wonder you destroyed the C6Z06 like that..SWEEEEET and what a way to brake in the new set up

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just when you think thats fast, go watch the Vid of ILLSMOQ vs Me again. Get the Paxton, then you wont have to stay in it as long to embarrass the guy. You could beat him by 6-10 cars before you even shift to 4th. Grabbing 4th gear would just add to the insult and keep that Z06 from ever pulling up beside you again.
Seriously, car seems slow to me now. Im at 508, your at 528... we both need more. Go for the paxton 650 ish, conservative tune and you wont have to worry about breaking stuff or worry about the extra weight if your wife is with you.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck--that'd be GREAT to have a dyno-day at Kyle's/Romar~!
Keith---Your car has sounded badasp since we saw it at Chuck's in October...and yes, Crystal is a complete joy...definitely a keeper, as you are as well!!! Glad you both have each other! ~juli

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just when you think thats fast, go watch the Vid of ILLSMOQ vs Me again. Get the Paxton, then you wont have to stay in it as long to embarrass the guy. You could beat him by 6-10 cars before you even shift to 4th. Grabbing 4th gear would just add to the insult and keep that Z06 from ever pulling up beside you again.
Seriously, car seems slow to me now. Im at 508, your at 528... we both need more. Go for the paxton 650 ish, conservative tune and you wont have to worry about breaking stuff or worry about the extra weight if your wife is with you.

Chuch built his car to handle up to 950 rwhp reliably..differant pistons lower CR ect...So once he has a paxton he'll give the TT's somthing to worry about...

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya MikeR, I know when I get to Florida the competition will deff get stiffer. I ran into a yellow Z06 today...guy was a great cometitior and a good sport. But again, I gave him the jump, and once my Viper got to her sweet spot in 3rd, I passed him like he missed a gear. In all fairness, this Z06 was a C5. He was about 15 cars behind me when I last looked, I was doing about 160 (I love all the closed roads up here in CT!:D)

My power band is a little wierd. The car accelerates normally until about 3000 rpm then it feels like I drop into a lower gear and she takes off like a bat out of hell! Feels like a nitrous shot or something! Chuck told me he saw it doing that on the dyno as well, he said that is the mid-range and where the cam really kicks in. That must be how the Paxtons feel I would imagine, but I am sure the Paxton surge is much more intense.

Thing is, I must learn how to drive her first in stages. My car is MUCH faster than when I last got to play w/ her back in July and these races happen so fast, I am up to 140 mph 160 mph before I even realize it. The only way I knew I was at that speed was the red arrow came on...I looked down and was like "oh sh*t!". But the Viper runs at 160 just like she runs at 80 mph, steady, no drift, she held firm to the road.

I love the idea of a Twin Turbo, but the idea of twice the hp scares the crap out of me, honestly. I feel secure about shifting and not getting squirrely and simply shooting past the competition w/ no fishtailing, etc. But 650 to 700ish rwhp occurring at the top of the power band sounds manageable.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck--that'd be GREAT to have a dyno-day at Kyle's/Romar~!
Keith---Your car has sounded badasp since we saw it at Chuck's in October...and yes, Crystal is a complete joy...definitely a keeper, as you are as well!!! Glad you both have each other! ~juli
Thanks Mike and Julie, hey you guys gonna mod that Vette? My wife wanted a Z06 before I annihilated that one on Saturday. I told her his car was either stock or close to stock. She said she wants to write a complaint to GM b/c they dont make convertible Z06's! If they did, that would be killer!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya MikeR, I know when I get to Florida the competition will deff get stiffer. I ran into a yellow Z06 today...guy was a great cometitior and a good sport. But again, I gave him the jump, and once my Viper got to her sweet spot in 3rd, I passed him like he missed a gear. In all fairness, this Z06 was a C5. He was about 15 cars behind me when I last looked, I was doing about 160 (I love all the closed roads up here in CT!:D)

My power band is a little wierd. The car accelerates normally until about 3000 rpm then it feels like I drop into a lower gear and she takes off like a bat out of hell! Feels like a nitrous shot or something! Chuck told me he saw it doing that on the dyno as well, he said that is the mid-range and where the cam really kicks in. That must be how the Paxtons feel I would imagine, but I am sure the Paxton surge is much more intense.

Thing is, I must learn how to drive her first in stages. My car is MUCH faster than when I last got to play w/ her back in July and these races happen so fast, I am up to 140 mph 160 mph before I even realize it. The only way I knew I was at that speed was the red arrow came on...I looked down and was like "oh sh*t!". But the Viper runs at 160 just like she runs at 80 mph, steady, no drift, she held firm to the road.

I love the idea of a Twin Turbo, but the idea of twice the hp scares the crap out of me, honestly. I feel secure about shifting and not getting squirrely and simply shooting past the competition w/ no fishtailing, etc. But 650 to 700ish rwhp occurring at the top of the power band sounds manageable.

Wow black mamba..Were gonna have to change your name to Z06 eater...LOL..

Yea Chuck told me that the "peak" numbers of the Comp coupe cam are'nt really a huge jump over stock. But 3000-5000 theirs a lot more meat under the curve....

I experienced the same thing when my wife surprised me with an AEM for my 1999 Viper...I think she around 2500 for it. My first thought was..Man..She could have gotten me a VEC3 and a throttle body/light weight fly wheel for the same price as the AEM...

Then I went to the dyno after installing it and dynoed a WHOPPING 445 rwhp...Previously the car was 440 rwhp before the AEM....

I thought..GREAT...2500 bucks for a whopping 5 rwhp gain..Thanks Baby..love ya much....

Then I went out and did some 1/4 mile testing...Previously the car would trapp 117-119 mph...After the AEM that only gained me 5 rwhp "peak" I went and trapped 119-121 mph all night...

Went back to the dyno shop and had them overlay the before AEM dyno and after AEM dyno....Sure enough their was only a 5 rwhp advantage with the AEM...

But thenI looked at the curves from 2500-5000 rpm's..

the aem made 20-30 rwhp more than the car did with the stock pcm from 2500-5000 rpms

So power under the curve is where it's at and I cant wait to have my comp cam installed!!!