TERRIBLE NEWS - PAUL MUMFORD - PLANE CRASH?

GTS97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PAUL WE SHALL MISS YOU
FROM THE NEW JERSEY REGION WE SEND OUR CONDOLENCES TO THE MUMFORD FAMILY. PAUL WAS A FRIEND & A FELLOW COMPETITOR.

MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PEACE. YOU SHALL BE GREATLY MISSED BY ALL OF YOUR FELLOW RACERS & FRIENDS.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Truly tragic ! Though I never met Paul, he\'s a legend in our club.

Paul has touched the life of every person at West Coast Viper and we are all truly sadened by this unfair loss.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My condolences for his family & friends.

Andy

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Godspeed Paul,
For the past 5 years I have been a good freind of Pauls
and found him to be one of those exceptional individuals
who everyone liked and looked up to. His passion for life was intense and he lived life to the fullest.

We had hoped to join up with Paul next year to have a two
car Comp Coupe team. In our minds Paul will be driving with us next year.

Paul lived life, although this is tragic we should celebrate the fact that we spent time with him and thank him in our prayers for a job well done.

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm am so sorry to hear this news. His story was the stuff of legends. My prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends.

Paul

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know much about the man, but what made him special to each of you? I know he was a icon in teh Viper world. But what experiences make him stand out in your minds? he seems like a awesome guy.

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the small time we spent together-

The first time I ever heard of this guy "Mumford" was reading posts between him and Ken Adelberg in an adolescent teardown of each other’s driving talent and manliness. It took a bit of time before I met them both and realized they were playing out the banter online for their own amusement and for the entertainment of anyone who happened in on the threads.

It still took a few times of meeting Paul at the track to start to comprehend how really good he was. The first couple times I saw him he was running with Dave Jenkins, just sort of hanging out at the motor home, talking with friends, totally low key. He was not beyond running to Auto Zone for spare parts and I never saw him NOT working on the car when something needed to be done.

At an OTC venue last year, he asked if I'd like to go for a ride. The "YES!" came out with such a childish rush of giddy enthusiasm I was almost embarrassed to hear myself; but I grabbed the nearest ill-fitting helmet and all but jumped through the window lest the opportunity pass by. Just to say it; I've driven somewhat successfully in wheel-to-wheel competition before, and have been involved with racing most my life. I have driven with others and to be honest, never been too impressed despite the driver’s list of accomplishments. I somehow felt Paul would be the exception, and indeed he was. The car was wonderfully balanced, and Paul was fast, smooth and controlled while putting it on the edge on every corner; in my mind I was saying, "He gets it, he REALLY gets it."

The last time I saw Paul was at Laguna Seca last month. My wife and I stopped by his pit Saturday morning before we had to leave to say good-bye and wish him luck. The small horde of "Viper groupies" (Wasserman and crew) was congregated near the car, Eric Messley was airing the tires and my last vision of Paul is his waving goodbye from the workbench inside his trailer, wearing his official Schley Products T-shirt and wrenching on some parts... Pretty much the same scene as the first time I met him.

All of us at StopTech are deeply saddened at the news of his passing, and are proud to have been associated with him not only as a competitor, but more so as a friend. I won’t wish Paul “God Speed”, that he already had…

Rest in Peace Paul, I hope your spirit touches another and I one day cross their path.

Matt Weiss

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Thanks for the small time we spent together-

The first time I ever heard of this guy "Mumford" was reading posts between him and Ken Adelberg in an adolescent teardown of each other’s driving talent and manliness. It took a bit of time before I met them both and realized they were playing out the banter online for their own amusement and for the entertainment of anyone who happened in on the threads.

It still took a few times of meeting Paul at the track to start to comprehend how really good he was. The first couple times I saw him he was running with Dave Jenkins, just sort of hanging out at the motor home, talking with friends, totally low key. He was not beyond running to Auto Zone for spare parts and I never saw him NOT working on the car when something needed to be done.

At an OTC venue last year, he asked if I'd like to go for a ride. The "YES!" came out with such a childish rush of giddy enthusiasm I was almost embarrassed to hear myself; but I grabbed the nearest ill-fitting helmet and all but jumped through the window lest the opportunity pass by. Just to say it; I've driven somewhat successfully in wheel-to-wheel competition before, and have been involved with racing most my life. I have driven with others and to be honest, never been too impressed despite the driver’s list of accomplishments. I somehow felt Paul would be the exception, and indeed he was. The car was wonderfully balanced, and Paul was fast, smooth and controlled while putting it on the edge on every corner; in my mind I was saying, "He gets it, he REALLY gets it."

The last time I saw Paul was at Laguna Seca last month. My wife and I stopped by his pit Saturday morning before we had to leave to say good-bye and wish him luck. The small horde of "Viper groupies" (Wasserman and crew) was congregated near the car, Eric Messley was airing the tires and my last vision of Paul is his waving goodbye from the workbench inside his trailer, wearing his official Schley Products T-shirt and wrenching on some parts... Pretty much the same scene as the first time I met him.

All of us at StopTech are deeply saddened at the news of his passing, and are proud to have been associated with him not only as a competitor, but more so as a friend. I won’t wish Paul “God Speed”, that he already had…

Rest in Peace Paul, I hope your spirit touches another and I one day cross their path.

Matt Weiss

Matt...Thank you..thank you very,very much.
Rest in Peace Paul. You gave us a lifetime of enjoyment.

Clark

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too, never met Paul, but can only feel sympathy for those who knew and loved him.

My understanding was that he was quite an individual and when the world loses a person like this...the world suffers.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Look at it this way, it's a old saying but it's true. Paul's body may be gone, but his spirit lives on. He was a Viper icon that touched not just the Viper fans inside everyone he met, but also the person inside of them. While I never met Paul, the more and more I get into Vipers, i am sure I will come to know him and in time, even consider him a friend even though he is passed. hey, the worst thing anyone can do is not tlak about him, not share the stories, and not remember him how according to you all he would want to be remembered, a great guy who just happened to be talented when it came to Vipers...

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the capacity that I knew of him, PMums success, achievements, talents and skill were amazing, a Superhero in the world of Vipers.

So sad about such devastating news; my thoughts go out to the pain felt by all those close to him.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A poem that brings comfort to me...I thought I would share with all you are hurting...

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white
sails to the morning breeze and starts
for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length
she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sea and sky come
to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says;
"There, she is gone!"

"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all.
She is just as large in mast and hull
and spar as she was when she left my side
and she is just as able to bear her
load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone
at my side says, "There, she is gone!"
There are other eyes watching her coming,
and other voices ready to take up the glad
shout;
"Here she comes!"
And that is dying.

by Henry Van ****

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Words are missing to express my feelings at the loss of Paul.

Last time I saw him was at Laguna for the SpeedGT race.

On Thursday nite,after the practice, he flew all the way back to LA to pickup some friends,on his return, we all went to have a late dinner,not in a fancy restaurant like most pro drivers will do, but at a Denny's.

What made Paul such a special person was not his incredible talent as a racer but, his personality.
He was friendly, easy-going with absolutly no ego and always had a nice word for everybody.
On Saturday, we were hanging around with him at his trailer and Hans Stuck(spel?) came to introduce himself, Paul told him that he always has been a big fan of him,like I said, he always had something nice to say.
on Sunday on the cool-down lap, he made a point to stop in front of the tent were all his buddies and friends had been watching him and after wawing to us, he did a huge burn-out.
His way of thanking us for being there.

Truly,one of the best is gone and we miss you Paul.

Luc.
00GTS

Juanmotime

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

May we all learn from his dedication and pursuit of perfection in everything we do.

God Bless PMUM

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was hoping that this was not true. I have been waiting for Vipers to start to make a come back and Paul was the great down to earth Superhero that racing needed. Paul, you will be missed! God Bless You and your family and friends. :( :(

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

paul was an exstordinary talent, and the loss is incalculatable. i was talking to him only a couple hours before this happend and still wish this was just a bad dream. my heart goes out to those closest to paul as i will miss him deeply.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

God bless you Paul. We'll certainly miss you. Track events won't be the same without your incredible talent, good nature, and witty humor. Our prayers are with you, your family, your girlfriend, and all your friends that have been blessed to have known you.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't seem to get anything done today and I can't believe how bummed I feel...when I looked at him and his fiancee in the Laguna pictures...it's so sad...my deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

I'm sure Messley, Pemberton, Woodhouse, Skip and the McCanns are hurting too...I guess I was living vicariously through Paul and he meant more to me than I ever consciously realized...he was living the dream of a club racer moving toward a paid ride(if he wanted it???)...he was someone I looked up to, listened to and tried to learn from...I never raced with him and the only thing I really knew about him technically is that he always "beyond threshold" braked everywhere...you got a real taste of his ability to out brake even a Pro like Randy Pobst in to that turn that ensured his 1st WC win.

With Paul, we (Viper nation) had something to cheer about again. I 'd been counting the days to watching the live timing at Road Atlanta when (I like to believe) he would have podiumed again and silenced the few non-believers that said "that was more the car than driver" in response to his Laguna **********.

the racing world was just learning what we all knew...it WAS the driver!!!

mr

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There cannot be a bigger loss in the Viper world than this. PMUM was putting the Viper on the map by destroying factory sponsored cars and professional racers with his own trailered private Viper. Can't even think straight as this is such a huge blow to all of us here.

He has touched so many of us.

Rest in peace PMUM and I wish only the best for his family and friends.

My dad never posts on these boards and he wanted me to express his condolences to all of those that are suffering due to this loss. A very, very sad day in the Viper community.

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't think I knew who he was, but condolences to his family. That's an awful loss at such a young age.

Does anyone know what kind of plane this was? Judging by the pics it looked fairly big.

The KABC report said something about a midair collision. The beginning of the article mentioned a fire. I'm confused.

Any other links about this crash?

REMIX

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did not know him personally, only through his posts which I enjoyed reading. It's sad to see someone go in the prime of his life. Condolences to his family and friends.

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My deepest condolences go out to Paul’s family and friends. It is sad news such as this that emphasizes the importance of family and friends which Paul had many.
I met Paul at the ViperDays finals in 1999. Paul was extremely fast. I stopped by his car, said hello and asked if he would help me out. He took the time to explain some basics, identified the most critical turn and told me exactly how he drove it. I attempted to follow his advice and immediately took 1.2 seconds off my time. I was amazed and extremely impressed. To this day, I still think of and try to follow his advice. In the Viper world he is a legend and will be missed.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Speed GT Website has this about him web page

I didn't believe any of this until I read this! :(

God...I'm in shock.

I think I'm going to take off a bit early tonight and go 'vipering for Paul. What an amazing talent and a simply devastating loss. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave