TERRIBLE NEWS - PAUL MUMFORD - PLANE CRASH?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very sad news and my condolences go out to Paul's family.
I was not close to Paul, but have lost a few friends in racing over the years, both on and off the track. It's never easy and you always get this empty feeling in your stomach.
Paul will be sorely missed because he was such a great guy and talented driver. I'm happy for him that he had an opportunity to enjoy life so much, on and off the track, before his passing. Not many men take the risk to truly live life to it's fullest as he did.
Godspeed Paul.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never meet PMUM.....I was really looking forward to that pleasure in the near future, hopefully at Atlanta. Truely a sad day. These posts are a tribute to the type of person he was. My condolences to his family and friends.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also saddened as is the rest of the Viper bretheren to hear this terrible news.

Life is so precious and oftentimes short, especially when someone so young and full of life with with many friends and even aquaintences that were touched by him, is taken away so suddenly.
May he rest in peace.........

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I, too am shocked at this news. I was so looking forward to meeting him and cheering him on at Rd Atl. My condolences to his family. John

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is totally shocking and sad. May he rest in peace and his family be comforted.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My condolences to his family and friends. While I didn't meet him in person, I felt I knew him from the boards as I sure others did, and his loss will be felt here.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so terribly sad to say it is not a mistake, one of my best buddies and a great person is gone, I'm balling my eyes out, my heart goes out to his family and girlfriend Bridget, this is tragic but true, god bless his soul, I know he's going to a great place, I'll miss him, I'm having a real hard time with this, why? WHY?????????

If this is true, it is a tragedy of epic proportions. Life is unfair and cruel! We all will miss Paul Mumford! I never met him but I feel a great sense of loss nevertheless.

It is one thing to chase a dream, Paul did not simply chase the dream, he LIVED the dream!==> For Paul to show up with a pickup truck and a mechanic that had only "a bag" of tools and smoke the living daylights out all of the factory guys with their race rigs and pit crews like Boris Said/etc... we have seen on TV for years just shows the amount of talent and skill Paul Mumford posessed. This tragic occurrence illustrates that anybody can go at any time. Paul cannot posssibly have any regrets as he did it right and did it the best with class and style making his competitors wonder how they could ever beat him..... I am beside myself.......

My condolences go out to his wife and family........

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truly tragic ! Though I never met Paul, he\'s a legend in our club.

I am sure he's already working on setting up a race with Ayrton Senna up there.

S

SUN RA KAT

Re: Truly tragic ! Though I never met Paul, he\'s a legend in our club.

This is a sad day - I never met Paul, but I've heard stories on his greatness as a human being and also being one of the best drivers ever on this planet. Those who knew him personally can celebrate that they were lucky to have known him.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is a sad day for the Viper community. My sympathy is extened to his family & Friends. He will be missed by all.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Horrible news. My prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends. We'll miss you Paul!

DN

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I never met him I have only heard great things about him. My condolences to his family and loved ones.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Paul was a great friend and a talent in any car. When he won the Ultimate Street Car Challenge last year he had a professional collage sent to me to thank me for selling him the car. Unbelievable, as I had NOTHING to do with anything, he reworked the car with friends , but he had a sharing spirit with all he knew. I remember for years we all asked why he didn't run Pro and his answer was always that he wanted to just go out with his buddies , drive fast and hang out. With all his skill, his social occasions in life were track time, with the same attitude that many play golf or fish with their contemporaries. He finally took the step this year, and true to form he was the laid back gentleman driver of days gone by,
car loads of his cronies there to assist and cheer him on, a ragtag group from all walks of life with just one goal in mind --- racing for fun!! Mumford's Motley Crew
all possessed the same sheer joy of speed that Paul did, and he was the Mentor for many a successful club driver, track enthusiasts, Viper Days competitor. He shared his secrets, he shared his mistakes, and as a Pied Piper for track time comraderie he was a cut from a previous time. With competition to the point that drivers are looking for a tenth of a second, Paul with the guy that tried to help you find it, even when you were right behind him. He wanted you to be your best and if you pushed him or beat him ( which few ever did ) he reveled in the joy and excitement of upping his game. I remember getting criticism for hammering some curbing at Road America one year, and Paul overheard the conversation , but walked by ,not joining in the debate. He grabbed me later and smiling asked me if I knew the shortest distance between two points, and of course I responded it was obviously a straight line. Correct Pemberton, so keep hammering those berms, as most folks can't drive them and that is how to straighten out some corners. He stated he had watched me on the track, and that I needed to continue being the " Bermeister" , as I was nailing the corners at the same spots he did. I , confess, this little conversation helped me gain alot of confidence, and I egotistically stole his nickname with pride, and decided the Bermeister would kind of be a handle. I am ramblin on, but like so many others I am beyond devastation, and so many need to know that the Viper Community lost our Davey Allison, Dale Earnhardt, Alan Kulwicki, in a manner way before his time. With a 3rd and a 1st in his only two World Challenge Series Races, the World knew a phenomenal talent was about to erupt on a well respected Pro Curcuit. Those of us that knew him well were not even surprised, we almost expected it,and we kept an underlying smirk that his competitors had no idea where the new wunderkid came from. We all knew, he was the friend, the mentor, the amatuer, who was already great to legion of Viper gearheads, and his legend will never die, as he was the David who took on the Goliaths and smote them with consomate skill that not even the experienced pros could deny. Damn, Paul, thanks for all you gave to those around you, thanks for being an ambassador to any who wanted to learn the joys of track experience, and we will all remember you as a blessing to our lives. Paul was not the Greatest, he still is the Greatest Viper driver I ever knew.

God Bless You PMUM!

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great driver and exceptional person.

Paul will be dearly missed.

My prayers go out to Paul, his family and friends.

Rest in peace.

Tom Francis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My thoughts and prayers are with Bridget and Pauls family.

I had the pleasure to meet Paul at VIR in July he was a truly outstanding person. I count myself fortunate to have had the oppurtunity to work with him.

Tom Francis
Viper Race Headquarters

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger