The "GRAND CARAVAN" Dayton/Indy to VOI11

Prowlyn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds GREAT!!!
The more the merrier. I'm interested in your itinerary for the your sight-seeing/must sees. I know there is a stretch on I70 in Colorado that is beautiful.:drive:

QUOTE]

We did I-70 thru Denver when we drove to VOI-Vegas. We were looking at I-80 through southern Wyoming since we've never been there. As far as the "must sees" go, I've not had any feedback from anyone in that area. The only thing I know of so far is mtns and cornfields :D.

We will need to stay in touch. We plan on leaving Minneapolis, MN on Monday Morning. We could maybe meet up in Nebraska.

Prowlyn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw snow in the Rockies this week - but it was pretty high and no where near any interstates or roads Viper will be on.

VOI 5 - Viva Las Viper - was late April 1999 - some rain

VOI 9 in Vegas was Sept 26, 2006 - almost the same dates as VOI-11. Pretty clear weather. Don't recall problems with snow or rain from anyone.

Other Major Viper events have seemed to solve local drought conditions but regardless, the events have always been an awesome time. :2tu:

VOI 9 - Minnesota Caravan hit snow trying to go over the moutains to get into Denver. We had to go down to Taos, NM and then cut accross.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking that it would be so over-the-top cool if we could go for biggest VOI caravan ever undertaken so far :)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will need to stay in touch. We plan on leaving Minneapolis, MN on Monday Morning. We could maybe meet up in Nebraska.

I got your PM. We'll be fine tuning our route w/i a few weeks. Meet maybe in the Omaha/Lincoln/Woodhouse Dodge area?
I've not heard back from those guys any definite groups or possiblities of joining them. MJorgensen said he was driving, but not sure when he'd be leaving.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm guys now that things are starting to come closer I would like to put the function I have at work to good use (I'm taking care of an entire cab fleet) for our convoy.
I am sure that everyone is good at taking precautions on their own but just in case here is a before-you-go checkup list:

- oil: make sure it is topped off, matter of fact change it before leaving and bring enough spare oil for at least one complete change (never know when it might be neccess
ary!)
- coolant: same as for oil, maybe even more important because hoses can start to leak
- coolant hoses: inspect them thoroughly before going, if they are on the car for some years and are not really flexible anymore, change them!
- washer fluid: as stupid as it might sound, check and fill up if needed, never know when you need it!
- tires: check the date stamp, on trailers I believe that if they are 4 years or older they MUST be changed according to regulations, pretty sure something to this effect is also in place in the U.S. If young enough and not used often, check for dry rotted sidewalls. Bring one or more spares along!! SNOW CHAINS or spiked wheels for the driven axle if you're coming over mountain passes!! Snow does need to be taken into account as several people have warned about it in some areas we will be driving through. Not sure about exact regulations but make sure to ask your local Triple A office and/or department of motor vehicles.
- brakes: check their functionality, disc thickness and pad life. Don't know if trailer brakes can be separately inspected for proper functioning but if so do it with and without weight on the trailer to eliminate any weird gremlins. Sometimes brakes still go kaput, might be good to take spare material along.
- serpentine belt(s) and tensioner: inspect them and change if neccessary or when they feel/look suspicious, bring spares along with the right tools. Check alternator performance and battery life, the latter not just with a simple multimeter but a device that puts a load on it.
- light bulbs: bring a spare box with the types that are on your vehicles and trailer.
- those lacking trailer experience: be sure to use the search feature on here in order to find the best rigging points on the chassis and for jack points in case a wheel needs to be changed
- security: is that high classed alarm system installed yet on your trailer and tow vehicle?? What about heavy duty anti-theft locks with the highest possible consumer guide test rating?? Or that unbreakable hitch locking mechanism so that they can not uncouple it from your truck?? Ask yourself this: if you were a thief eager to steal other people's trailer, do you see anything fragile or manipulatable that will make you succeed in your goal? In other words: would you be able to steal your own vehicle/trailer?
- wheel bearings: is there a hint of play in them or are they good on both your truck and trailer? Bearings on trailers carrying heavy loads have a rough life and may give at just the wrong moment, be sure to carry a couple of spares with hubs if possible in case those end up damaged beyond repair.
- front window, very important: check them all over for spider cracks or the start of a major one. I am trained in filling small ones that have not broken through to the inside yet, so if anyone has a repair kit with the right fillers I am your guy.

Anything that is left out please add it to the list!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yea, valid and current insurance papers with the right kind of coverage, same for driver's license and registration.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay with the final map and rest area stops. I'm just about done with it. These maps will be emailed to VCA members from JR Thompson and they will be posted on this website.

The completed maps will have approximate times we will be stopping at designated Rest Areas/Mile Markers so that people can join in along the way.

The hotel blocks have been set up and the hotel links for each night can be accessed here: http://forums.viperclub.org/voi-11-...17-grand-caravan-hotel-links-information.html

Again, sorry on the delay. Once I get through the planning this weekend for next week's Mopar Nationals Aug 13-15, I should have everthing ready to send out on Wednesday Aug. 11.

Thank you,
Randall Arnold
President VCA Ohio Region

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can look up the past temps for October here for Cheyenne Wy here.

Daily Averages for Cheyenne, WY (82001) - weather.com

You can also look up the temps on those dates for the pass in Colorado for 1-70 on that same page. They have a thing called the wedding planner that checks weather for events

We look forward to seeing many enjoy the drive with the colors changing.
Salt Lake City is beautiful. See you at VOI.
The Average lows for the beginning of Oct. are all above freezing. As hot as it's been this summer, i would expect the temps. will be higher than normal this year. :)

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes towing could be an issue if the route is very bad, but I would be cringing if I had to see vipers driving in snow and salt. That would make me cry. Alot! ;)

Not to mention that could be a hazzard itself if vipers start sliding around on steep slopes. We don't want any wrecked vipers due to no snow tires.

I guess we await your friends wisdom.
I have snow tires for a Gen 1, I'm not kidding, only fronts though, if anyone needs to borrow them. lol

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be joining you guys with bluequadcab (Jimmy) from NY/CT, Robert is already informed of this, just not sure if Jimmy would like to join the group so don't pin me on that just yet ;)
Sorry guys, knowing some of the traffic in states around me, I'm sticking with I 80 and won't be taking I 70, so I guess I'll see you there. :drive: My truck is 4X4, so I'm not worried about snow, it has never stopped me from going to VT or Canada. Ice is another story, but not expecting that. Not worried about mountains either, will have new brakes on, and I ordered my truck with heavy duty everything so I could do these kinds of things. :) Knowing the truckers take I 80, that cements the routes for me and I've already reserved the hotels. It's going to come up soon, should be the time of our lives! :headbang:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Minnesota club will be meeting up with the caravan in K.C. Monday nite.:headbang:

Decided not to go the northern route.:2tu:

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, not saying that. It is cheaper on insurance and taxes though. :smirk: I had the truck before I bought the Viper. I have used the bluequadcab name for many things online, and it was only natural that I use it here. Since the first VOI I went to, VOI 10, some suggest I should change my name to Jimmy. Not even sure if that can be done, but I'm happy the way it is. Sometimes I prefer to remain a mystery, don't need to be in the spotlight. I'm like the Ninja hiding in the backround, observing without being noticed. Just ask the guys I work with, I'm always scaring the s--t out of them because they had no clue I was there. There are more ninja stories, ask me at VOI 11. Getting off topic here. Can't wait for VOI!!!!!:drive:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I figured, just wanted to see if I could mess with your head :rolaugh:

Oh it can indeed be changed to Jimmy, just ask one of the mods to do it for ya! And I'm constantly doing the ninja thing to the cleaning lady at work, oh the sight of her fright when I dunnit again :D

Yea can definately not wait either!! Just a little over a month before my flight departs for NY! I'm betting the weeks that are coming now will fly past oh so fast! Hey ain't I on a rhyming spree, lol.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, not saying that. It is cheaper on insurance and taxes though. :smirk: I had the truck before I bought the Viper. I have used the bluequadcab name for many things online, and it was only natural that I use it here. Since the first VOI I went to, VOI 10, some suggest I should change my name to Jimmy. Not even sure if that can be done, but I'm happy the way it is. Sometimes I prefer to remain a mystery, don't need to be in the spotlight. I'm like the Ninja hiding in the backround, observing without being noticed. Just ask the guys I work with, I'm always scaring the s--t out of them because they had no clue I was there. There are more ninja stories, ask me at VOI 11. Getting off topic here. Can't wait for VOI!!!!!:drive:

:rolaugh::lmao:

Boy I look forward to hearing more of your stories!:D

Too bad you live so far away. Always nice to see others I can relate to! ;)

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the route, hotel links, approximate times of stops, etc. Physical maps are being prepared as we speak and will be posted. PDF's will be available to download shortly.

GRAND CARAVAN to VOI11

SUNDAY SEPT. 26th 2010
For members coming into Dayton, Ohio

Drury Inn & Suites Dayton North
6616 Miller Lane
Dayton , OH 45414
Telephone: (937) 454-5200

Room Rate for Sunday ~~ September 26, 2010

$84.95 plus tax

http://www.druryhotels.com/Reservati...roupno=2097640

OR

For members coming into Indianapolis, Indiana

Drury Inn & Suites Indianapolis NE
8180 North Shadeland Avenue
Indianapolis , IN 46250

Telephone: (317) 849-8900

Room Rate for Sunday September 26, 2010

$81.95 plus tax

http://www.druryhotels.com/Reservati...roupno=2097644

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MONDAY SEPT. 27th 2010

Leave Drury Inn Dayton, Ohio at 8AM
I75 North to I70W and pick up directions below at #9
OR
Leave Drury Inn Indianapolis, Indiana at 9:30AM

8180 N Shadeland Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46250

1. Head southwest on N Shadeland Avetoward Clearvista Dr
2.8 mi
2. Take the ramp to I-465 S
0.5 mi
3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-465 S/ Shadeland Ave and merge onto I-465 S
4.0 mi
4. Take exit 44 for I-70 W toward Indianapolis
0.2 mi
5. Continue toward I-70 W and merge onto I-70 W
Entering Illinois
229 mi
6. Slight right at I-270 W (signs for I-55 N/ Chicago/ Kansas City)
Entering Missouri
27.8 mi
7. Take exit 22B to merge onto MO-370 Wtoward St Charles County
12.6 mi
8. Merge onto I-70 W
208 mi
9. Take exit 15A to merge onto I-470 S/ MO-291 S toward Lee's Summit
Continue to follow I-470 S
17.3 mi
10. Merge onto I-435 W
Entering Kansas
6.4 mi
11. Take exit 79 for Metcalf Ave S/ Metcalf Ave N
0.3 mi
12. Turn left at Metcalf Ave
0.3 mi
13. Make a U-turn at W 110th St
Destination will be on the right
404 ft

10963 Metcalf Ave
Overland Park, KS 66211

Stops I70 Westbound
1. 10:30AM - Indiana Rest Area - 65MM - 17miles west of Indianapolis
( Dayton and Indianapolis groups will meet up at this Rest Area)
2. 12:00 Noon - Illinois Rest Area - 149MM - 1 mile east of IL-1 Marshall, IL
3. 2:30 PM - Illinois Rest Area - 26MM - 10 miles west of Pochahontas, IL
4. 4:30 PM - Missouri Rest Area - 169MM - 1 mile west of MO-161, Mineola State Wildlife Area
5. 6:30 PM - Missouri Rest Area - 57MM - 2 miles west of MO-23 Concordia, Missouri
6. 8:00 PM - Arrive at Drury Inn - Overland Park, KS

Drury Inn & Suites Overland Park
10963 METCALF AVENUE
OVERLAND PARK , KS 66210

Telephone: (913)-345-1500

Room Rate for Monday ~~ September 27, 2010

$89.95 plus tax

http://www.druryhotels.com/Reservati...roupno=2097536

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TUESDAY SEPT. 28th 2010
Leave Drury Inn Overland Park, Kansas 8:00AM

10963 Metcalf Ave
Overland Park, KS 66211

1. Head north on Metcalf Ave
0.2 mi
2. Turn left onto the I-435 W/ US-50 W/ US-169 S ramp
0.2 mi
3. Merge onto I-435 W/ US-50 W
Continue to follow I-435 W
17.2 mi
4. Take exit 12B to merge onto I-70 W towardTopeka
Partial toll road
Entering Colorado
577 mi
5. Take exit 282 to merge onto I-225 S towardColorado Springs/ Aurora
12.7 mi
6. Take exit 1A to merge onto I-25 S towardColo Springs
4.0 mi
7. Take exit 196 for Dry Creek Rd
0.2 mi
8. Keep right at the fork, follow signs forChester St S and merge onto E Dry Creek Rd
0.1 mi

9445 E Dry Creek Rd
Englewood, CO 80112

Stops I70 Westbound
1. 10:00AM - Kansas Rest Area 294MM - 2 miles west of US-77
2. 12:00 Noon - Kansas Rest Area 187MM - 2 miles east of US-281
3. 2:00PM - Kansas Rest Area 48MM - 3 miles east of US-24
4. 4:00PM - Colorado Rest Area 332MM - 35 miles west of Limon, Colorado
5. 6:00PM - Arrive at Drury Inn Englewood, Colorado

Drury Inn & Suites Denver Near the Tech
9445 E DRY CREEK ROAD
ENGLEWOOD , CO 80112

Telephone: (303) 694-3400

Room Rate for Tuesday ~~ September 28, 2010
$79.95 plus tax

http://www.druryhotels.com/Reservati...roupno=2097642

------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEDNESDAY SEPT. 29th 2010
Leave Drury Inn Englewood, CO 8:00AM

TRAILERS - Northern Route to Salt Lake City, UT
Leader - Mopar Boy, Robert

9445 E Dry Creek Rd
Englewood, CO 80112

1. Head west on E Dry Creek Rd toward S Alton Ct
390 ft
2. Make a U-turn at E Dry Creek Rd
131 ft
3. Continue straight onto E Dry Creek Rd
0.3 mi
4. Turn left to merge onto I-25 N
16.0 mi
5. Take exit 213 on the left toward Park Ave/ 38th Ave
0.2 mi
6. Continue straight
4.7 mi
7. Take the exit onto I-25 N
Entering Wyoming
90.9 mi
8. Take exit 8B to merge onto I-80 W towardLaramie
Entering Utah
435 mi
9. Take exit 306 to merge onto W 600 S
1.2 mi
10. Turn left at S Main St
394 ft

555 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Stops I25N to I80W Rest Areas:
1. 10:30AM Wyoming Rest Area Exit 323 - at WY-210
2. 3:30PM Wyoming Rest Area Exit 41 - at WY-413
3. 6:00PM Arrive at Grand America Hotel Salt Lake City, UT
Note: More stops will be added in route due to gas fill ups

VIPERS - Through the Mountains Route to Salt Lake City, UT
Leader - Daytonprowler, Randall

9445 E Dry Creek Rd
Englewood, CO 80112

1. Head west on E Dry Creek Rd toward S Alton Ct
390 ft
2. Make a U-turn at E Dry Creek Rd
131 ft
3. Continue straight onto E Dry Creek Rd
0.3 mi
4. Turn left to merge onto I-25 N
13.2 mi
5. Take exit 209B for US-6 W/ 6th Ave toward Lakewood
0.2 mi
6. Merge onto 6th Ave Fwy
0.6 mi
7. Continue onto US-6 W
8.2 mi
8. Take the exit onto I-70 W toward Grand Jct
Entering Utah
336 mi
9. Take exit 157 to merge onto US-191 N/ US-6 W toward Price/ Salt Lake
Continue to follow US-6 W
127 mi
10. Merge onto I-15 N via the ramp to Salt Lake City
49.7 mi
11. Take exit 306 to merge onto W 600 S
1.2 mi
12. Turn left at S Main St
394 ft

555 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Stops I70 to US 6W to I15N
1. 10:00AM Minturn, Colorado at CO-24
2. 12:30PM Grand Junction, Colorado
3. 2:30PM Green River, Colorado at US 6W
4. 6:00PM Arrive at Grand America Hotel Salt Lake City, UT

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is everyone using Grand Caravan's as their tow vehicles? :lmao:Just couldn't resist. :ban:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets