The "GRAND CARAVAN" Dayton/Indy to VOI11

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "Grand Caravan" from Dayton/Indianapolis
to VOI11

attachment.php

Randall Arnold (daytonprowler), Terry Bosserman, and Robert (Mopar Boy) are working on a caravan from Dayton, OH/Indianapolis, IN leaving on Monday September 27th and arriving in Salt Lake City, Utah on Wednesday September 29th.

Randall and Terry will be working with VCA members driving their Vipers.

Robert will be working with VCA members towing their Vipers.

Janey White VCA Ohio Secretary/Treasurer will be working on hotel
accommodations for Monday 9/27 and Tuesday 9/28.

It's roughly 1600 miles from Indy. We are going to try and break it up into 600-600-400 so that we can arrive mid-afternoon in Salt Lake City.

If you are interested in joining the "Grand Caravan" to VOI11. Please post here. Once we get the Dayton and Indy meeting times, the route and hotels worked out, we will send an email blast out to all MW Zone VCA members.

Attachments

• IMG_1077_2.jpg
    IMG_1077_2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 451

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be joining you guys with bluequadcab (Jimmy) from NY/CT, Robert is already informed of this, just not sure if Jimmy would like to join the group so don't pin me on that just yet ;)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We may cross paths or possibly join up. We're thinking about leaving N'ville Sat/Sun. to St. Louis, thru Kansas City, Omaha, Cheyenne, etc arrive Wed. evening . Planning on 4 days to allow for some sight-seeing/must sees....:drive:
-Chip

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We may cross paths or possibly join up. We're thinking about leaving N'ville Sat/Sun. to St. Louis, thru Kansas City, Omaha, Cheyenne, etc arrive Wed. evening . Planning on 4 days to allow for some sight-seeing/must sees....:drive:
-Chip

Sounds GREAT!!!
The more the merrier. I'm interested in your itinerary for the your sight-seeing/must sees. I know there is a stretch on I70 in Colorado that is beautiful.:drive:

"The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.”
I LOVE THIS CLUB!!:2tu:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_4676_1.jpg
    100_4676_1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 437

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you stop through Omaha let us know and we may have some some to join you.

Bruce

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To give an update from the trailer towing crowd, with Jimmy/ITV we are at 4 already.

This will be one sweet run! As they say, getting there is half the fun!:yay:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds GREAT!!!
The more the merrier. I'm interested in your itinerary for the your sight-seeing/must sees. I know there is a stretch on I70 in Colorado that is beautiful.:drive:

QUOTE]

We did I-70 thru Denver when we drove to VOI-Vegas. We were looking at I-80 through southern Wyoming since we've never been there. As far as the "must sees" go, I've not had any feedback from anyone in that area. The only thing I know of so far is mtns and cornfields :D.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I drove out west as a child my sister informed my parents that once you have seen one mountain, you have seen them all! :lmao:

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are looking at I70 and I80 routes. The only thing that concerns me is the members that are towing. Janey and I were looking last night and the I70 stretch from Denver to the west is mountainous and not to many stops.

A friend of mine grew up in Denver. I'll be calling him tonight about the I70 route and the time of year we will be traveling (snow).

I80 might be the best choice. ?? It has plenty of towns along the way.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes towing could be an issue if the route is very bad, but I would be cringing if I had to see vipers driving in snow and salt. That would make me cry. Alot! ;)

Not to mention that could be a hazzard itself if vipers start sliding around on steep slopes. We don't want any wrecked vipers due to no snow tires.

I guess we await your friends wisdom.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes towing could be an issue if the route is very bad, but I would be cringing if I had to see vipers driving in snow and salt. That would make me cry. Alot! ;)

Not to mention that could be a hazzard itself if vipers start sliding around on steep slopes. We don't want any wrecked vipers due to no snow tires.

I guess we await your friends wisdom.

Yes, there was snow in the Rockies when we drove to Vegas, but the roads were clear/wet. Temps in Wyoming that time of year is upper 30's-mid 60's (I think)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,me and Janet will meet up with you in Dayton. Can't wait.

I look forward to it!

Yes, there was snow in the Rockies when we drove to Vegas, but the roads were clear/wet. Temps in Wyoming that time of year is upper 30's-mid 60's (I think)

Ooooh. It's like that!:(

If there was any doubt in my mind as to tow or drive that would solidify towing.

V

Venomiss

You can look up the past temps for October here for Cheyenne Wy here.

Daily Averages for Cheyenne, WY (82001) - weather.com

You can also look up the temps on those dates for the pass in Colorado for 1-70 on that same page. They have a thing called the wedding planner that checks weather for events

We look forward to seeing many enjoy the drive with the colors changing.
Salt Lake City is beautiful. See you at VOI.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our So Cal Club is planning a caravan as well, for those of you who are on the fence about VOI, its a awesome event that every Viper owner should consider.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To avoid the mountains for those towing.... it looks like the route will be:

First day Monday - I70W Dayton/Indy to Kansas City, MO - 600 miles

Second day Tuesday - I70W Kansas City, MO to Denver, CO - 605 miles

Third day Wednesday - I25N Denver, CO to Cheyenne, WY - 103 miles
I80W Cheyenne, MO to Salt Lake City - 439 miles

We are working on hotel blocks for Monday and Tuesday nights. That should be completed in the next couple of days. We will have a hotel block also for Dayton and Indy for people traveling on Sunday.

A physical map will be put together and posted. Also, approximate times that we will be crossing through major cities and/or intersections with major highways will be included so that other members can join in along the way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 361

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
To avoid the mountains for those towing.... it looks like the route will be:

Third day Wednesday - I25N Denver, CO to Cheyenne, WY - 103 miles

We are working on hotel blocks for Monday and Tuesday nights. That should be completed in the next couple of days. We will have a hotel block also for Dayton and Indy for people traveling on Sunday.

A physical map will be put together and posted. Also, approximate times that we will be crossing through major cities and/or intersections with major highways will be included so that other members can join in along the way.

attachment.php

I agree, a set meet time at particular waypoints would be great!!

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert (Mopar Boy) has a GREAT idea. After the second night stay in the Denver area.... the group that are towing can leave from Denver and go the northern route - I25N to I80W to Salt Lake City. Vipers wanting to drive through the mountains will leave from Denver will continue on I70W to US6W to Salt Lake City.

Third day Wednesday (Changes)

Towing
I25N Denver, CO to Cheyenne, WY - 103 miles
total - 542 miles

Mountains
I70W Denver, CO and US6W to Salt Lake City - 525 miles

Only 17 miles difference between going the towing route or going the driving route.:drive:

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hotel blocks should be in place tomorrow for Dayton/Indy, Kansas City, and Denver.

"A physical map will be put together and posted. Also, approximate times that we will be crossing through major cities and/or intersections with major highways will be included so that other members can join in along the way." I will have that completed by Aug 2nd.

A physical map will be emailed to VCA members with the
route, hotel block information, and approx. times at major cities and/or highways, and contact #'s.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will those hotels accept Mastercard creditcards? If not I need to know how much cash I need to bring along.

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a thread asking about the best way over to SLC.

It would be fun for the Denver club to hook up with those headed through here.

On the weather, it doesn't start to snow here until more toward the end of October, but now that I said it we will have snow early for the 1st time in 100 years.

It would be more fun and much more scenic to go I-70, but the option to punt and take I-80 due to weather is a good plan-B. Towing is better on I-80 as it's flat and full of truckers.

There are actually more place to stop on the I-70 route than I-80 as I have driven both a few times. I ran out of gas on I-80 once at a gas station that was only open 8am to 6pm and had to spend the night in a little Toy Supra.

Oh, Known speed traps on I-70
* Just outside of Denver as you head up the hill into Genesse.
* Idaho Springs (speed drops down to 60)
* The backside of the Tunnel all of the way through to Copper Mountain. Going down the hill past the tunnel there is always 2-5 patrol cars there. (There is an area called Officers Gulch just past the Brekenridge exit and is designed to make it easy to bust you, if you get pulled over here "It's labeled" you deserve one of those "Redneck Signs" and a big ticket.
* Just as you come into Vail. The patrol cars like to sit at the bottom of the hill at the last turn coming in and going out of Vail.
* The canyon into Glenwood Springs. The speed drops in the canyon to like 50. Go slow it's one of the most scenic parts anyway.

The rest of the highway is pretty open and is usually a 75MPH zone. I've gone very fast in all but whats listed above on numerous occasions. The above list are zones you really want to just get in a slower lane and enjoy the view (of other people getting busted) no the mountains silly.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>On the weather, it doesn't start to snow here until more toward the end of October, but now that I said it we will have snow early for the 1st time in 100 years.<<<

Heading to Las Vegas for VOI-9 we started in Vail in the end of September in the ...

:dunno:

....snow!

Attachments

• P9229491.JPG
    P9229491.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P9229492.jpg
    P9229492.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milkman,

Thanks for the valuable information! I will mark the speed trap areas on the map I'm putting together. Absolutely we would like for the Denver entourage to join us. The more the merrier.

Oh, my cousin has a 2008 SRT4 in the same color. He complained that it rode so rough and this is from someone that had a GLH in his college days. Found out after having the car about 2 months, the dealer forgot to take the front spring shipping spacers out when they delivered it to him. LOL

Randall

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't look like we'll hook up, but maybe when y'all head back on Sunday (if that's when you plan on leaving?). Any thoughts for the ride back home yet?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I saw snow in the Rockies this week - but it was pretty high and no where near any interstates or roads Viper will be on.

VOI 5 - Viva Las Viper - was late April 1999 - some rain

VOI 9 in Vegas was Sept 26, 2006 - almost the same dates as VOI-11. Pretty clear weather. Don't recall problems with snow or rain from anyone.

Other Major Viper events have seemed to solve local drought conditions but regardless, the events have always been an awesome time. :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv, did you get the pm that I recently send you regarding my model project? I was informed that you are a very busy person and was wondering if you had the time to dig through your inbox yet :)