To sell or not to sell?

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I absolutely love my Viper, but the parts availability is starting to become a very real issue. Mine will be for sale soon also.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I know is that getting a Mustang as my only toy would be a step backwards. On another subject my stepson promised me a Lambo if he goes high enough in the MLB draft in June.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A viper will always be a viper, and a mustang will always be just a mustang. Drive past the high School parking lot and see how many Mustangs you see, then how many Vipers do you see?

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2013 GT500 will be a mid 11 second car based on the weight (3850lbs) and traction (P285/35R). The GTS is a high 11 second car stock. Put some roller rockers, exhaust and tune and you'll be dead even with that rustang. Just based on performance alone, I don't know why someone would downgrade to such a porky boat. I could see it being a fun daily driver, but not a weekend toy for someone who has already been bitten by the real snake. I drove a 2011 GT500 and it felt like a boat, I mean a big heavy boat. I know there will be handling improvements to the new one, but there is only so much you can do with a solid axle. Even a GEN1 will handle better than any GT500. I really don't know how Ford is going to put down 662HP to the ground on P285 street tires.

If you really want to have a cheap good time, then ******** a 150 shot and watch the rustang disappear for good.

I don't know where you get your numbers, but many would argue with your points. Many are estimating that the Mustang will be a very low 11 second car. I have even seen estimates in the very high 10's. Most GTS drivers here are in the low 12's.

That is a huge difference. Call it a "boat" or "porky". Whatever floats your boat.

Estimates are that tuners will be able to get even more out of the Mustang for very little money.

Eye appeal will got to the Viper, but that is not the only thing people look for in cars.....

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think clearly it depends on what the goal is. If it is really all about hp, then the Mustang is a good choice. But, if it is also including what the hp is in, then I agree with most everyone above. You can have the super Mustang, but it is basically the same car as the one that comes with a 6 cylinder. The Viper, is a Viper through and through, 10 cylinder and only 10 cylinder.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2013 GT500 is going to be my next toy! My wife hates Vipers, at least the ones I own and now that I have 2 daughters, the Mustang makes more sense since it has a back seat. At this point, I do not see me owning a Viper again. My wife is more important and I have to keep her happy and she likes Mustangs.

I dated a girl awhile back not too long before I bought my Viper. She thought the idea of spending 40k-50k on a car like a Viper was a stupid idea since she didn't care for them anyway. Needless to say, she was gone shortly after. :smirk:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dated a girl awhile back not too long before I bought my Viper. She thought the idea of spending 40k-50k on a car like a Viper was a stupid idea since she didn't care for them anyway. Needless to say, she was gone shortly after. :smirk:
She's probably with some Mustang guy now........there's lots of them to pick from,.....and then again, maybe she likes eating at Mc Donalds all the time..............you never know, maybe he works there...;)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cannot believe this. I can understand the transition to a ZR1, 458 Italia, Ford GT, Lamborghini, Exige 260S, 911, M/B SLS AMG, R8, GTR, or something of the like. But to off a Viper for a Mustang, you've got to be kidding. Not trying to be a basher, and wouldn't be opposed to adding one to the stable, but drop kicking the Viper for a car just cuz the HP rating is crazy. I didn't get a Viper for the HP rating, I got it cuz it's totally 'sick'. ....The idea of trading it for a Mustang makes me sick. :crazy2:

This exactly. I don't dislike the Shelbys, they are fine machines. Wouldn't kick on out of my garage. But, wouldn't give up the Viper for one. Then again, I wouldn't give up the Viper of any car on that list except the 458. Was at a show last weekend a couple of 2010-2011 Shelbys there. Alsoa Gen 1 Viper, and the rest Gen 3 and 4s. Also, a 08 430 and 85 Tesstarosa. Guess what cars the people were most interest in? Ding ding ding...right..the Vipers. Also the TR, as that car is still cool 30 years later.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks SenorZee. But I know how the English language works. It's your use of it to post drivel here that poses the challenge.

Oh looky....Poster Boy Dave posted. Again. Just can't leave this place alone, can you?

I'm gonna start a poll to see when you're gonna break 15,000 posts. Maybe by next Tuesday?

By the way...don't you need to start working on another 1000 lb. splitter or suttin'? :smirk:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poster Boy -

I'm really surprised that you have time to post so much when you should be slapping together another 1000 lb. splitter.

Now, post your ten responses here. I've got money riding on this poll. -->

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't do well on a trade in, so try to sell it outright. Don't listen to the die or drive Viper owners expressing their BS here. The 2013 GT500 will be a very nice car and will fit the family for a drive. The other car/Mustang hater Viper owners are just a bunch or guys who feel better because they have to bash others. Get over yourselves guys, your arrogance makes us all look bad. Good luck with your decision.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a mustang hater at all! I just know that I've had a ton of sports cars in my 59 years and the Viper I have now takes the cake, hands down. (In my opinion) If the OP is interested, I have a beautiful totally custom EFI stroker 77 Vette I have over $55000.00 in and would take $25000.00 for right now. I haven't even started it in the seven months I've owned the Viper. Just lost interest. I also had a 5.0 mustang in 1985 and it was a super fast car. It just self-destructed @ 32000 miles. Sold it for what I owed at the time. Whatever decision the OP makes, good luck and enjoy your new ride.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I think there are a lot of factors and I have even toyed with this idea as well since I had an 03 Terminator years ago (Hence my screen name here). OP, I think I know you from the SVT forums and you have been thinking of this decision for awhile. Here are my thoughts....

Unless you truly are a drag strip racer or need a back seat, the sports car ownership ultimately comes down to how you "Feel" when you drive in my opinion. When i got the 03 Cobra, it felt amazing. 2k in mods and I was one of the fastest cars on the road. However, after awhile, I saw them all over the place and they really don't stand out drastically from the rest of the V6/V8 mustangs. That is the same problem with the vette. The Viper GTS, even in stock form, is plenty fast for all intents and purposes. However, it is one of the best looking, sexiest and passion-evoking cars on the road today. You know from experience how that car brings countless pictures, stories, and great conversations from random car enthusiasts. It FEELS amazing when I drive this vehicle.

Sure the new stang will be a hot topic, but quite honestly it will be one that fades. There are always newer and faster cars coming out with new nannies and 8inch navigation systems. But the Viper GTS you have is a no frills, exotic and rare sports car that is visceral, raw, and connected 100% to the driver 100% of the time. I can't trade that in for anything.

I gues those are just some random thoughts to consider....

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know where you get your numbers, but many would argue with your points. Many are estimating that the Mustang will be a very low 11 second car. I have even seen estimates in the very high 10's. Most GTS drivers here are in the low 12's.

That is a huge difference. Call it a "boat" or "porky". Whatever floats your boat.

Estimates are that tuners will be able to get even more out of the Mustang for very little money.

Eye appeal will got to the Viper, but that is not the only thing people look for in cars.....

Every car mag did the test and the 2013 Rustang 500 did the quarter in 11.6 - 12.1 depending on the mag, far from your 10 sec estimate. Every car mag used launch control, and without it, they could do no better.
There is no way Porkins will do high 10 sec on 285 street tires in that stock Y-Wing. Looking at Dragtimes.com, most GTS owners are easily doing high 11's. For very little money you can get more out of the GTS also; who's side are you on anyway?

Here are some stock and fairly stock GTS's, some with exhaust only, matching the Rustang's time:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Viper-Timeslip-1628.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Viper-Timeslip-5629.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Viper-Timeslip-15986.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Viper-Timeslip-615.html

Last edited:

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about selling my black 2000 gts with 16500 miles on it, and putting the money toward the 2013 mustang GT500. What kind of trade in do you guys think I can get? Or should I just keep her and wait a couple of years for prices to come down. 662 hp is awfull tempting!!!
Wow. If factory horsepower figures are the main concern why did you waste time buying the car in the first place? This question feels like either a joke or flame starter running between here and numerous stang sites. In the past I had a 99 cobra with a blower and close to 600 flywheel hp... after reaching the ******* contest plateu i realized i could of bought a GTS, and now 8 years later I cant fathom any reasonable car guy losing sleep over that consideration. I hope this post stirred the *** on another forum if that was the intention; if not then kudos for having the balls to ask for advice on what you knew in the back of your mind was ridiculous.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power is not that important. I had multiple Supra's with over 1,000whp and I find myself receiving more enjoyment from my completely stock unmodified Viper. However I wouldn’t mind a 1,000whp Viper either.

Style, performance, rarity, and even who you see primarily owning an automobile effect my outlook on that certain model in question. Sounds crazy I know. Too many “young kids” driving around in Mustangs for me. I’d get a Vette instead… of a mustang that is.

I absolutely love my Viper, but the parts availability is starting to become a very real issue. Mine will be for sale soon also.

Forgive me man but I find this terribly hard to believe. You own an American built car IN America; that has been in production for years! Try owning a rare foreign make!

Last edited:

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car mag did the test and the 2013 Rustang 500 did the quarter in 11.6 - 12.1 depending on the mag, far from your 10 sec estimate. Every car mag used launch control, and without it, they could do no better.
There is no way Porkins will do high 10 sec on 285 street tires in that stock Y-Wing. Looking at Dragtimes.com, most GTS owners are easily doing high 11's. For very little money you can get more out of the GTS also; who's side are you on anyway?

Have you see the in-car vid of the Motortrend 1/4 mile run in the 2013 GT500 were they ran 11.6@125? that guy gives new meaning to "granny shifting". I'm no mustang fan but you put a driver in that car and it's going to be well into the 10's.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you serious???? I'm going broke because there are too many things for me to buy for my Viper....

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You probably are not buying a gt500 for look over the gts, so... if it's all about usable and reliable power, then probably you'll be much happier with a nicely modded Evo. I'm a terrible driver but I do feel safe (relatively) flooring that 10 second beast.., and it costs about 1/3 of the $67K. Cornering is fun too. Or perhaps an slightly older modded 911 turbo, or a GTR. Not that I don't like Mustang, I think the new gt500 looks very nice though. With that budget you have lots of options.. enjoy man! It's one of the best decision you've got to make.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you see the in-car vid of the Motortrend 1/4 mile run in the 2013 GT500 were they ran 11.6@125? that guy gives new meaning to "granny shifting". I'm no mustang fan but you put a driver in that car and it's going to be well into the 10's.

I have to disagree Matt. First off, that video was a demonstration of a launch control enabled takeoff, not the 10.6 best run. If the ACR with 600HP and ZR1 with 638HP can barely do a 10.9-10.8 with a good driver completely stock, I don't see how a 450lbs heavier rustang running stock 285 radials and taller gears could even come close. And look at the tires Ford put on there, the very best for street and track. It'll take more than a good driver to get that into the 10's. Heck, the McLaren f1 weighed 2500lbs and had 618HP and was a 10.9 sec car. The LP670-4 SV has the same HP, but has AWD, weigh's 400lb less, and it does 10.9. GT500 owners here in Detroit need to be pushing 650 at the wheels to get into the 10's on street tires. It's not just the weight, that aero-be-damned front end doesn't help either.

I know car mags don't give the best numbers but they all used launch control and you're talking about 7 tenths of a second faster to get into the tens. And four mags tested this car and 10.6 was the best so far, with the worst being a 12.1. I've never seen a mag be a full second off from real world 1/4 mile times. The fact is, the new GT500 engine allows the user to over-rev the RPMs to 7000RPM to get these numbers. It would need to be well upwards of 725HP to get into the tens.

Think about it, the last GT500 weighed about the same and with 560HP did 11.9 with a superb driver. Mags had it at 12.1 - 12.3. It basically has 100 extra HP. That's not enough to knock a full second off. When the GEN4 came out, it added almost 100HP and all that did is shave half a sec off the quarter on average.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets