Tranny problem

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems my transmission or clutch has issues:

- shifting into first or third became more notchy and required significantly more pressure
- about a week ago I had to skip third entirely
- yesterday, would not engage first at all, depressed clutch fully but would not allow shifter into first position.

Is this a clutch or gear issue? 30K miles on original clutch.

James
'92 RT/10

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any fluid puddles under the car? Does pushing the clutch pedal to the floor have normal resistance? Or does it feel soft? Do you have any clutch slippage? Punch it at 70 mph in 5th gear and if the rpms go up w/o the car jumping forward you're slipping.

*Other*

OP
OP
V

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Didn't seem to slip and no puddles on the floor. just became hard to shift into first and third and occasionally reverse. Interesting that they are all high in the shift pattern. I could depress pedal to floor and maybe a little further than usual, but I could not engage shifter into gear. After about three minutes, I semi manhandled the shifter and it finally engaged so I drove home. I was only a couple of blocks away.

James

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 30K miles on a '92, I would just go ahead and do the clutch and slave for grins and giggles. About $500 in parts DIY.

The master cylinder and/or bleeding is yet another option.

You can also change the tranny fluid which you can look for wear particles in there maybe. Chad (v10speedluvr) has some fluid listed in the classifieds. The ATF4 stuff if that's what a '92 uses.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the above suggestions do not lead to a solution you could be looking at some syncro problems in the tranny. No way to tell for sure unless you take it out and have it inspected. Hope it something simple around the clutch.

:usa:

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to bump this up again since I am currently experiencing the same issue.

I have to really force it into gear when I'm stopped but it's easier once I'm moving. I don't think it's related to the clutch since I can depress the pedal in gear, come to a stop and the engine idles fine.

No fluid on the garage floor and the last time I drove it a week ago I noticed some resistance when changing gears.

OP, did you find the cause of the problem?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've wrecked a few trannies and your symptoms definitely sound more clutch related as noted above. When a gear or shaft goes, you generally can't coax it into the gear that won't work.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was hoping for something else, but turns out the slave cylinder is leaking. I didn't want to have to drop the tranny just yet but oh well. Thanks for the input guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi