Upgrading throttle body with heads/cam

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During my rebuild, I'm having headwork done and doing an aftermarket cam. I already have an intake, Belanger headers, and exhaust. I'll top it all off with a tune to tie the whole build together. I was wondering what the synopsis is regarding aftermarket throttle bodies? I'm thinking of trying out the JTS throttle body.

I've read that on a stock motor, the gains are relatively unnoticeable; with headwork to allow more airflow, the gains have been worth it (from reading 345s-bspinnin and sscjcreeper builds). I was wondering if anyone has any other personal experience with the JTS throttle bodies since they seem to be bigger in the Rams.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few rule-of-thumb equations regarding volumetric air flow needs per horsepower. If you take the cross-sectional of our OEM throttle bodies, you will see that it is a bottle neck at 550+whp power levels. Depending on the quality of the head work, JTS' slightly larger throttle body will still be a restriction. My recommendation (backed by dyno proof) indicates that you will need a single blade throttle body that maximizes cross sectional area.

My $.02

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
And the most important part of the equation will be the tune. You will be making some crazy hp with the cam and headwork - upwards of 700 at the flywheel would be my guess.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to keep the car? Good choice!

Def go with the throttle bodies. Ive put them on every car ive had and notice a difference right away. Especially if you are doing heads, cam and already are running headers.