Voodoo Viper...To buy or not to buy?

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the dealer that I bought my 08 vert from. He currently has 5 2009's left over and has 4 2010's on the way. Im looking to add one more collector car to the stable and a 2010 ACR may be one of the candidates. Anyways, he tells me that he is getting 2 acr's in. One is white with the dual black stripe and the other is a voodoo. Apparently one of the 20? Should I jump at the chance to grab the voodoo or are all of the 2010's gonna be special because its the last year. Thoughts? By the way, hate to say it but the other 2 cars up for consideration are a 2005 gt40 and a 2005 murci.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your looking more for collectors cars i'd say sell the 08 vert, unless of course you like having a vert, and get the voodoo AND the gt. that murci wasn't the best of the breed... unless it was a LP670sv.

If it's only 1, go with the gt. You already have 08 gen 4 viper anyway. Gt be completely different for the collection and the driving experience. Limited production and mid engine with heritage says allot.

Last edited:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's your money, spend it on what you'll be happiest with. If you are hoping to sell it in 20 years and make a few bucks then the Voodoo or the Ford GT would probably be your best bet. Personally, I'd go with a white Viper or the FGT.

OP
OP
D

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never thought of it that way. The orange vert is staying with me. I love it and its the only one with the tan/orange interior that was ever made to my knowledge. The gt really strikes me though. Im going to look at one in person this week.

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
when all is said and done I don't think any of the 2010's, no matter how limited the production, will be considered a collecter's car....the ford gt on the other hand will hold and possibly gain value in the years to come...if you are looking for a true collecter than the only one out of the cars you mentioned would be the Ford IMO.....

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think about some cllectible sports cars, it's the ones that push performance and technology AND which are only made for 2-3 years. Look at Ferrari history with the GTO, F40, F50, Enzo then Porsche 959, carreraGT all very desirable. Then again their were several very limited production " track specials" muscle cars of the 60's super desirable at market now as well. So nobody really knows. Take into account the the use and enjoyment, diversity and ownership Experience in the meantime as well.

Last edited:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think about some cllectible sports cars, it's the ones that push performance and technology AND which are only made for 2-3 years. Look at Ferrari history with the GTO, F40, F50, Enzo then Porsche 959, carreraGT all very desirable. Then again their were several very limited production " track specials" muscle cars of the 60's super desirable at market now as well. So nobody really knows. Take into account the the use and enjoyment, diversity and ownership Experience in the meantime as well.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when all is said and done I don't think any of the 2010's, no matter how limited the production, will be considered a collecter's car....
That's what they said about the Hemi Cuda's too. Just remember that Chrysler-Fiat needs to start making some money to justify future Vipers. So if I were going to buy any Vipers right now I would try to get my hands on a new 2010. Best of the breed (horsepower, gear ratios, etc.) and hopefully not the last. But these days I wouldn't bet on anything.

OP
OP
D

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The one thing that I forgot to mention. I drive every one of my cars all summer long. This car wont sit, I enjoy them too much. Even if its just to go cut my grass at my office. So if driving a gt wont affect it at all, it has to be considered because I absolutely love the look of them.

Last edited:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absulutely. In my opinion even better reason to go with the gt than have 2 gen4 vipers.

Mix it up.... Go pound some pavement with viper v10 and the open top and then completely switch gears and enjoy the gt coupe V8 supercharged mid engine. I bet you will also enjoy the completely different cabins as well and the sportscar variations of 2 different manufacturers. Good luck!

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually driving a car moderately, a few thousand miles a year and maintaining it is still much better for the car than letting it sit. You gotta use it or loose it. From what I havevseen on auctions moderate use doesn't affect the value of a car in the long term much. Ultimately it's the car itself that draws the attention and dictates what people want and the price it will command. Just take good care of it. There are several guys I have heard that bought a car 20-30 years ago and put it in storage because they thought it be the next museum specimen, however if it's not the right car, model, long term storage doesn't mean much for value. Nobody really knows what's gonna be a superstar years to come. A gt though is a rather good guess though.

OP
OP
D

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
keep the 08 especially if u like the color,

Definitely doing that. Im in a fortunate position that I dont have to sell one to fund another. But buying this next one is the biggest car decision i have made in a while.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT is about as good a bet as you can have. Anything else is tOo big of a gamble at this point.

People always forget the carrying cost to keep a car tucked away. Its not always worth it.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned all three, get the GT (by the way it's a Ford GT not a GT40), the patent for that name was bought by Superformance so Ford had to rename the car. You already have a Gen IV and unless you are gonna track the Voodoo then get get the Ford. Also the Murci will end up being a pain in the ass to own, sensitive, problematic, and costly to repair. Lastly they made five orange verts with tan interior, I almost bought a new 2008 a couple of months ago but decided on an ACR. Good luck!!!

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT all the way!! I LOVE mine I also have Murci and they are fun, but the GT is just awesome. I put a Whipple and 743rwhp. The only thing on the street that beat me once was a drag racer on race gas with slicks. I beat him 2 out of 3. The engine in the GT is a built motor from the factory. H beam rods forged pistons, crank, dry sump. Now go get a GT40!!

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned all three, get the GT (by the way it's a Ford GT not a GT40), the patent for that name was bought by Superformance so Ford had to rename the car. You already have a Gen IV and unless you are gonna track the Voodoo then get get the Ford. Also the Murci will end up being a pain in the ass to own, sensitive, problematic, and costly to repair. Lastly they made five orange verts with tan interior, I almost bought a new 2008 a couple of months ago but decided on an ACR. Good luck!!!

For all intents and purposes the GT is the new GT40. ;)

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FGT for sure.

The VooDoo is......well.... just another Viper "Special Edition" to add to the list.

You want a special edition, buy one of the ONLY 4000 or so FGT's. Now thats special!

I love my Viper but props must be given...the FGT is flat out cool.

HISSSN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely doing that. Im in a fortunate position that I dont have to sell one to fund another. But buying this next one is the biggest car decision i have made in a while.

The Ford GT you will love it I have talked to three VIPER owners they have both and they all said the same thing both fun to drive and both different and could not pick which one they liked the best.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all intents and purposes the GT is the new GT40. ;)

Except 4 inches taller which as I'm sure you know is the 40 in GT40 and 18 inches longer! We all know what the car is likened after but if someone asked you what you were driving you say FGT! If you or I had a real GT40 we'd be in select company!!

Hoodoo Man

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had my '98 RT/10 for 12 years and my '05 FGT for four years. Since you are keeping your vert, its very nice to have cars that provide two very different driving experiences. Get the FGT, the cars compliment each other well and the FGT is quite a special critter.:2tu:

Larry

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT is the way to go if you already have a Viper... and maybe even if you didn't already have a Viper...

The Viper is history in 2010 and everybody is speculating on it's return..

Any speculation on the return of the FGT ?

Ford is doing the best of the Big 3 and they continue have a good run with the Mustangs and Shelbys so why wouldn't they build a business case to build more of a mass marketed/produced FGT at a lower price point ?

OP
OP
D

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, never thought I would see such a land slide for the GT. Thanks for all the help. The search continues.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No ACR will ever be a collector car.Dime a dozen.

I dont totally agree with your statement Dime a Dozen..when less than 1K gen IVs will be made period...The bad part is that a gen IV ACR can be made from the parts shelf..Dodge should have gave it a bigger( specific to the ACR only) engine to go with its downforce and handling parts and gave it a special/numbered vin... Chevy made the reverse mistake with the 90-95 ZR1s...They put a bigger more technical engine in it but the body was hard to extinguish from a reg vette...sound familiar(new zr1)....
The Ford GT was/is a quasi replica of their famous race car(read history) with a style that people still obviously love and a stout engine/handling layout to back it up supercharger be damed!!!at a price(when new) 40-50 K over a ACR.....
I think the ACR will and already has made some history(Nurburgring) and has proven to be a very worthy track and road oppent to those who race them....Its a shame the Viper ACR has to start its own league to prove its point....
Will the ACR keep its value like a FGT.?? right now it doesnt look good....Is it a red-headed step child compared to the FGT..? NOT for its price and what it can deliver and its looks are not to shabby either but beauty is in the eye.........As a future collectable on either car, I dont care as I will be to old to care or dead before we ever see big money for either so the SMART people who buy them and put miles on them are the true winners.........Kevin

Snakecharmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have Vipers and a GT as well as some other cars. I wouldn't give up my GT to buy any other car at this point. There may be something that comes along in the future that changes my mind though. You never know. The nice thing about it is that its still worth what I paid for it so it doesn't cost me anything to keep it. You can't say that about the Viper. Also, I would stay away from an 05 Murci. Old gen F1 trans, depreciation, expensive service, and other Lambo problems make it not worth the hassle. Ferrari is your best bet on Italian cars. Especially the new 458. Ken

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You already have a Viper, buy the Ford GT. It's rare, beautiful, and they won't be coming out with a new and improved model for a long, long, very long time, if ever!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth