What features/options should next Gen Viper have?

What features should be on the Viper?

• ABS

Votes: 59 74.7%
  • Electronic Stability Control (wheel speed adjustment in turns)

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Traction Control (wheel speed adjustment for straight ahead, i.e. in bad weather)

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Radio and air conditioning

Votes: 70 88.6%
  • Lane change control (stay between the lines!)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Cruise Control

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Power steering, brakes, windows, locks, alarm

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • GPS and navigation

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Electronically adjustable suspension

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Launch control (drag race start)

Votes: 27 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ABS for me.. that's because I already smoked a set of front tires during a panic stop in the city on a concrete road..

All the other handling assist stuff is like processed food.. sometimes we're just too lazy or there's not enough time to cook from scratch.. and there are those that don't have the time to learn how to really cook or drive.. but you know which tastes better eh'

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I said, I'd prefer the big hp as an option, HD parts as an option, but acessories, electronics and luxuries can be added.

Ted

What he said.

Also if they are going to spend money on the Viper program...please add a CF body...lets keep the weight under 3400lbs.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh one more thing. That cup holder thing that everyone keeps talking about on the SRT/10, all of my SRT/10s came with an ashtray in that hole. So I'm saying its not a cup holder.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It wasn't on the list but I vote for a slightly new design that doesn't invite "nice Vette" comments on post 2002 Vipers. Keep the nanny aids to a minimum.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg::dunno:Stay between the lines! What! Never! :dunno::omg:

Heads up display - have had it not bad - should add to the list.

Adjustable suspension so I can have it super low and raise it for those hard to reach places - might be convenient.:drive:

If ********* = no interior luxuries
might there be soft core = super luxurious?

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like I'm picking on anyone, if Dodge has to design in any option, their big cost effort is expended whether you purchase it or not. That's why there are so many "packages" and you can't get just the electric locks without the electric windows; they recoup their costs and simplify the production. I'm wondering if a "stripper" model becomes inexpensive and simple, a street legal race car, and fitting of the marketing need for a halo car again - like the original car. Maybe for the next few years the Viper is crude and basic again, but survives to grow fat later. (You know what I mean.) After 62 voters it seems like a basic car would sell fine.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very disappointing choices Tom. I'd rather see what features/options should be removed from the next Gen Viper.

Tire pressure sensor monitor
Drive by wire
ABS
Power steering
Radio
Cigarette lighter and ashtray
Variable valves
Straight edges (for Dean)

BTW if you add "dry sump" to your poll I'll vote.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if I were Dodge marketing, I'd say make future Vipers with AC/Radio, convenience power package, and ABS. Then hold all the engineering money for marketing. Save the car line and get past 2010 model year.

The Fiat guy pretty much said he was surprised no future model work had been done by Chrysler, so we'll see what happens.

If you haven't voted, please do!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very disappointing choices Tom. I'd rather see what features/options should be removed from the next Gen Viper.

Tire pressure sensor monitor
Drive by wire
ABS
Power steering
Radio
Cigarette lighter and ashtray
Variable valves
Straight edges (for Dean)

BTW if you add "dry sump" to your poll I'll vote.

I simply cannot believe Dry Sump was not on the list.

This is unconscionable, blasphemous, and against the Gods of War.

This is further heightened by the fact that Viper deserves 600 rwhp and in my book an absolute necessity - in fact, it is a sweet spot in street driven cars related to traction.

But then, I view Viper not as an automobile or transportation device.... but more like a full immersion virtual reality platform. So in that light, I want everything related to creature comforts. If I want crude, I'll just build a Cobra kit car.

And cruise control is really a necessity if you actually drive your Viper and if you ever travel the interstates. Besides, how do you expect me to nap on those long trips?

Variable valves and direct chamber injection are huge technologies that will make impossible HP levels trivial in a street car. Of course, their programming was be accessible.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Screw the radio option. They never put anything worth a crap in from the factory, anyway. I would greatly prefer they leave a hole where the radio should go, perhaps with a snap-out plastic cover so it looks better than a gaping hole in the dash, speaker covers over the holes where the speakers should go, and just run some decent quality wires. Take off the $1000 of whatever it is they charge for the radio, and I'll gladly do the rest myself. I've never kept a factory radio in any car I've ever owned.

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw the radio option. They never put anything worth a crap in from the factory, anyway. I would greatly prefer they leave a hole where the radio should go, perhaps with a snap-out plastic cover so it looks better than a gaping hole in the dash, speaker covers over the holes where the speakers should go, and just run some decent quality wires. Take off the $1000 of whatever it is they charge for the radio, and I'll gladly do the rest myself. I've never kept a factory radio in any car I've ever owned.

^^^^^ this!:2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing's resolved. I was wondering (recall this was at the time of the bankruptcy) whether the popular vote would want a return to a simpler, bare bones, single purpose car and own the "great value with supercar performance" niche or move upscale with accessories and options to compete with the Corvette and other brands... don't get in a snit, I mean in a marketing sense and not performance. The Gen 1 that started everything was certainly crude, but popular. The Gen 4 has many (but not the most) features that arguably wouldn't be on an enthusiast's "sports car" list of needs, but seems to sell well enough. Which side of the fence will the 2012 Viper fall on?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no haters please, .....

garage door opener holder, maybe in place of the ash tray (gen 2, i hate stretching the netting)

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eucharistos, you must be living in the lap of luxury! :rolaugh:

I think someone posted on putting the garage door opener in the transmission tunnel and using the mystery button... but I can't find it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul, the coupes and GTSs have more headroom, don't they? Us GTS guys wear helmets in our cars and sti9ll have plenty of clearance to the roof. The vettes have a flat low roof and GTSs have a "double bubble" roof. I don't think the vert's got the extra 2" for the helmets.

I made my seat track an inch lower to see stop lights better (and low flying planes). Illustrated Upgrades to do it yourself, and a visit to Nimpo Lake if you'd like some help with the welding, etc.

Ted

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vote would have been on the "priced under $100K" button (and I don't mean 99K) but it was not in the poll! :dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My vote would have been on the "priced under $100K" button (and I don't mean 99K) but it was not in the poll! :dunno:

If I was a Ferrari guy I'd ask for lousy gas milage and more frequent tune-ups. If a Viper got only 9-13mpg and needed a $15,000 tune-up every 15K ... then I'd ask that the Viper ACR cost slightly more than an Enzo, say a price tag of $800,000?

Sorry, just joking.

Ted

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+ 1.

People always complain about the stereo. Dodge should just route the wires and leave the rest a dealer option.

What sells Vipers is that bigazz motor and fat tires. Everything else is just a waste of money and development resources.

R993

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of interesting stuff but although I am close to a new viper I'm a little freaked out by the locking the key things in the trunk. Why not something simple as an trunk opener.
Maybe an automated nice lady voice that politely tells you when the door is opened: Caution don't burn your calves... ok, the last one is a joke.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eucharistos, you must be living in the lap of luxury! :rolaugh:

naw, not really as my remote is just a bell that summons the neighbor kids to lift the garage door up, they do it for chiclets :D

I think someone posted on putting the garage door opener in the transmission tunnel and using the mystery button... but I can't find it.

my rt doesn't have the mystery button (gts thing :dunno:)

thanks tom

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
naw, not really as my remote is just a bell that summons the neighbor kids to lift the garage door up, they do it for chiclets :D

my rt doesn't have the mystery button (gts thing :dunno:)

thanks tom

Ummm, you don't have two buttons next to the cigarette lighter? One is for the front foglights, the other is only used in Euro models for the single rear red "foglight" so in US models it doesn't do anything. My '94 RT does, so maybe it's a Gen 1 thing...

This post shows I haven't lost my marbles yet.
http://forums.viperclub.org/1822635-post2.html
So while ruckdr said in 2003 that the guide was posted, the oldest "how to" is 2005. :(

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here Goes !!!

A true double clutch transmission. That way the Viper doesn't fall behind 6 mph on each shift when racing a against a Porsche GT3.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang