What is MultiAir?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A news report of the 2012 Viper said it would include Multiair. Here is an explanation:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrPcmMHqHE[/media]

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! Says higher torque possible with Multiair. Here comes 1000 lbs of Torque. We might have to go back to parts form the 1 ton Diesel Rams to handle it. :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of it as an advancement that requires even more complex programming that, like the current Venom programming, will not be cracked/hacked for the purpose of varying the calibration to accomodate mods. With the Gen IV you have a choice of the stock controller or the Mopar controller. Beyond the basic mods of headers, corsa cat back and air intake, based on the threads on the subject by at least two tuners on this forum, it appears you have to go to the parallel use of a Motec or an AEM controller and the custom tuning required by same.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MultiAir is just more electro-mechanical mickey mouse crap that can / will go wrong and will make installing mods next to impossible.

I'm more and more convinced that the GenIII with its JTEC PCM is the way to go. No VVT, no drive by wire, and the ability to easily mod.

What's really odd is that everyone says the NGC PCM in the GenIV's can't be cracked. Well gang that is dead wrong. Diablosport has a seriously nice tuner in the u7135 and CMR tuning package for the Challengers and they all have NGC PCM's. They are the only ones at this time BTW. So it can be done, I guess it's just financial incentive to do so as opposed to "can't" or "can". The Viper market is a pretty small one by comparison.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the SRT8s can be tuned within the controller. The controller itself isn't the issue. The Venom programming for the Gen IV Viper within it is. BTW, Diablo's hand held tuners for the SRT8s have been around for quite some time. Diablo has authorized access to the underlying code for the SRT 8 vehicles. We just did some updating on my Challenger because Chrysler came out with a revision to the underlying stock calibration upon which the customized calibration was based. But, you are very right about the Gen III. That is why I have one. And, I suspect that is one of the reasons why its mods have been bullet proof.

I particularly like the fact that it does not have the electronic throttle. I have same in the Jeep and in the Challenger and, on occasion, I find it annoying because of microsecond delays between foot press and reaction. They are extremely small delays but to a decent driver they are noticeable. I hope they eliminate this in the Gen V vehicle.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understand the mod factor but if a Direct Injection kicks out 700 hp from factory, BEFORE headers, cat back, filters and off road factory computer chip, all while NA and with a full warranty, what more is to be really achieved through mods? It is 700+ Hp at the crank. My GEN III with Paxton (future) Bellangers, etc. would kill for that kind of number without issues associated with mods.

I will admit though, I like my throttle cable responsiveness.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Think of it as an advancement that requires even more complex programming that, like the current Venom programming, will not be cracked/hacked for the purpose of varying the calibration to accomodate mods. With the Gen IV you have a choice of the stock controller or the Mopar controller. Beyond the basic mods of headers, corsa cat back and air intake, based on the threads on the subject by at least two tuners on this forum, it appears you have to go to the parallel use of a Motec or an AEM controller and the custom tuning required by same.

Ditto. This is just one more headache, that unlike VVT, will not have any sizeable "upside" other than a little more torque on the bottom end. VVT alone can, if tuned properly, help a great deal with the low-end torque factor. VVT offers adjustable overlap which is fantastic for pulling the maximum power out of a given setup, especially when transitioning into Boost. When you are going for maximum horsepower, you would not be dialing lift/duration DOWN, which is the purpose of MultiAir. The MultiAir system does not appear to actually offer any actual performance advantage that could not be obtained with the same "solid" valvetrain at full lift, the only advantage would be fuel consumption and emissions, which are not really problems or concerns in the Gen-4 powerplant to begin with. I suspect that the claimed "power gains" are actually the result of a more radical cam profile, that was made USABLE by the engine having MultiAir installed. Kind of an apples to oranges application here...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably more than anything else, this technology is being employed to meet evermore stringent EPA emissions requirements.