What is the problem with Gen I and II Vipers??

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You come to the Gen III forums waiving your hate flag... Yawn.

Convince myself? I think by every measure I have something that I would call great. The Viper is an outstanding super car. The older one is just something less than the newer model in equally as many measures. Enjoy the lesser version it compliments your personality so well.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk,
For what it's worth, I understand that you were not bashing the gen I-II cars. You were being sarcastic and trying to prove a point. I think some folks overlooked that fact.

With that said, GTS's RULE AND GEN III'S ****!!!
<My best triumph the insult dog impersonation> I kid, I kid! :D :2tu: :usa:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of the Gen III guys have a persecution complex as well as cup holders!

LOL

No hate flags. I just expected more from DC in the new Viper. Just like they did with the Gen I and Gen II. But alas, the Gen III is a Corvette rather than a Viper.

I'm glad your happy and content with an under achiever.

:2tu: :p

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2FAST4U -

I get your humor. You have to be careful with that on here, though.

Nice car by the way.

Y2K5SRT to the rescue, yet again. You make vipduh sound pretty frustrated and uninformed.

Have a good thanksgiving.

Hope everyone enjoys all of the Vipers, the ones with the bad toupee, the clown shoes, the hatch backs and even the bland Gen III. [Again, humor guys]

Dirk

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipah, head to your local race track and let a Gen III under achieve all over you. Speaking of Corvette, how does it feel knowing that a C5 Z06 walks your dog? This was fun.

For future reference, please come back with your inferiority complex in tact. I know your car will. HA!

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raven, at least you seem to have a sense of humor. I haven't had a C5 Z06 beat me yet, but they sure are close. If I didn't care about styling, and they were made in '99 I may have bought one. But the C5 looks too tame.

Now the new C6 will probably beat my 6 year old GTS and keep right up with your SRT -- for a lot less!! And it looks just like an SRT!! Are you still laughing?

No complex here my friend.

:2tu: :2tu:

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipah, head to your local race track and let a Gen III under achieve all over you. Speaking of Corvette, how does it feel knowing that a C5 Z06 walks your dog? This was fun.

For future reference, please come back with your inferiority complex in tact. I know your car will. HA!

How many tracks are going to let the SRT run without a roll bar/hoops?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO every year viper is awesome from the 1989 prototype to the 2006 prototype and everything in beteween including the comp coup.

SRT
RT/10
GTS
ACR
COMP COUP

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree STU. And I do this in jest, save Craig.

I haven't seen a Viper I don't like. Just amazing cars and I am proud to have owned two of them.

I use this board to read how fellow owners are modifying, maintaining and resolving problems. The eating of our young around here is pretty sad.

I think that all of us really find Craig amusing. I mean 4500+ posts and not even owning a car, says it all really.

However, the early gen crowds bashing our cars are pretty silly. I need a place to put my cup down so I can waive out my rear window.

Happy T-day all.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree STU. And I do this in jest, save Craig.

I haven't seen a Viper I don't like. Just amazing cars and I am proud to have owned two of them.

I use this board to read how fellow owners are modifying, maintaining and resolving problems. The eating of our young around here is pretty sad.

I think that all of us really find Craig amusing. I mean 4500+ posts and not even owning a car, says it all really.

However, the early gen crowds bashing our cars are pretty silly. I need a place to put my cup down so I can waive out my rear window.

Happy T-day all.

Says what? That I've been a ******** enthusiast of this car since I was 15 years old? how embarassing! I bet when you were 21 you could throw down 3X's your annual income plus pay school at the same time for a car!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I find sad is when I try to talk to SRT-10 owners I often get snubbed.

Not fiction, just personal experience.

Too bad, too.

I respect the car but not 'some' SRT owners they are too aloof for an old gen 1 owner like me. So, I often end up talking with the vette, mustang, and subaru owners. They are usually down to earth and fun to be around.

Just my 2 cents.

This comment is made in general terms and NOT directed at any one SRT owner.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig, I'm not much older than you. 4500+ posts says that you enjoy writing a lot regarding a car you don't own.

Some people talk too much. Others never have anything nice to say. You do both well.

That is sad Bad Byte. I suppose there are jerks within every group. Great car and tag by the way!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPAH,

This is Jack Powell Dodge, in Escondido, please stop bring your Piece Of **** C4 to my dealership. I don't care how many "sneaky petes" you tape on the hood,it's a C4 Vette NOT a Viper! Everytime that **** pulls into my dealership I LMAO!
You must be registered for see images

Also, my Viper tech,Mike, asks "why does that ******* with the C4 keep coming here?"

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today at a gas station, not 15 minutes ago, my red SRT-10 was parked directly next to a red GTS. A woman and her son walked over and asked all kinds of questions, asked if the son could sit in the car. Then a car pulled off the road into the station just to look at the SRT-10. None of them even glanced at the GTS until I pointed it out to them. It is owned by a friend of mine and I felt bad for him, knowing how proud he is of the GTS. 2 different times, without any consideration for his feelings, I was told that the SRT-10 looks better. I love my friends car. The GTS is sharp, but so is the SRT-10, and many prefer the looks of one over the other. Maybe 'vipah' (how clever) was wrong when he says, "We all know what the results would be."

Vipah's last post tooting his horn about how wonderful his car is, isn't that exactly what he complained about Gen III owner's doing?? Didn't he say that showed 'buyer's remorse' and even 'penis envy'???

Hmmmm..

luc, you have a point. However, you can't just look at market price alone. A 308 sells for about the same as it did in the late 70's and early 80's, despite being produced in relatively high numbers. A new Lotus is about $85k (they quit making them) while some of the early 4 cylinder cars can be had for $20k. However, it is still a 'timeless and classic' design. The Lambos you talk about are newer low volume cars. The other cars you mention are very low volume. That affects market price as much as visual appeal. . The fact that you disagree what is 'classic' proves my point that this is 'subjective' meaning that it cannot be accurately measured or quantified. By the way, speaking of angular classic Fcars, the Testarossa is about as classic as you get. Also, the Daytona is not much more 'rounded' or 'curvy' than the new Viper. It is a blunted wedge.

Dirk

Dirk
Dirk nice story. The only way someone would check out a SRT-10 over a GTS is if there was a naked chick with huge knockers sitting in the passengers seat handing out free bj coupons and even then it would be 6-one half a dozen the other senario. You SRT-10 guys will never look as good as us get over it!!! p.s. Happy Thanksgiving. :D

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that or the other viper was parked behind the pumps...

I can hear the conversation now:

"I didn't know that they still made hatchbacks."

"thankfully, they don't make them any longer m'am"

Long live the jurassic GTS

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a GTS, an RT/10, an SRT, a Ford GT, and an '05 Mustang in a parking lot and see which has the fewest people gawking at it.

Fewest people, in order:

RT/10
GTS
SRT
Ford GT
'05 Mustang

And I am not guessing on the first three, I have seen this more times than you can count. What so many people fail to realize is that while the SRT styling is not as popular with SOME Viper owners, it is MORE popular with just about everybody else. I literally can't count the number of times people have commented on the SRT and how they like it more than my GTS. Not guessing on this one, it is stone cold fact. The challenge is that many Viper owners are repeat buyers, so if they aren't crazy about the looks they may not make the switch. The Ferrari community is VERY small, with plenty of repeat buyers there as well. If they design one that owners don't like then it won't sell to the previous owners.

Let's face it my condescending friend, the SRT-10 is superior in every single respect to the previous Vipers outside of the possible exception of styling - and that is 100% subjective. The SRT will out brake, out turn, out accelerate, out light (headlights), out sound (exhaust & stereo), out rubber (19" instead of 18" wheels in the back), out seat (better bolsters - so much so that several Gen II owners install Gen III seats), out displace (505 cubic inches to 488), out muscle (500 HP to 450), and out shine (convertible) ANY OTHER VIPER MADE. No bragging at all, this is stone cold fact. Is the GTS more exotic looking in my eyes? Yes. Is it more attractive in many other eyes (especially women)? No.

I can appreciate (for the most part) Craig's input based on wanting to see improvements down the line. While I definitely don't like this thread even in jest, having one Viper owner insult another Viper owner's ride is just absurd. Perhaps you should trade that GTS for a Supra - definitely more your style.

Yes, but you're going from the oldest to newest. That's why the new designs get all the attention in Detroit - NAIAS. BUT, that wears off REAL QUICK. If you can honestly say a 2005 Ford Mustang will get more 'parking lot' attention than a Viper GTS (ONE OR TWO years from now), pass whatever your smoking :cool: . Most car nuts have seen (in person) a GEN I/GEN II Viper, but many have not got close and personal with the GEN III/GT40/Mustang. Again, people went BONKERS over the GEN I, GEN II, and Ford GT when introduced. This will be the 3rd year the GT40 will be shown, and it draws 'ooooos and aaaaaas' every year, and will this years as well. The Gen I and Gen II Vipers did the same thing for many years.... They dominated the spotlight for years. What's amazing is they still do (to an extent), especially for a design that is what, 8 and 12 years old?... Not so with the GEN III. I suggest DC shows up with a GTS-R or Comp. Coupe or improved GEN III coupe at NAIAS. I'm not trying to cut down the SRT10, as I may own one some day. It's a hell-a-va car. But the reality is the styling is nice, but not 'WWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW, CHECK THAT OUT......'. I think that is what many GEN I/GEN II Viper owners have come to expect - The WWWWWOOOOOOWWWWW!!!! factor that is missing in the GEN III.

BTW - Every stranger that speaks with me about my Viper (gas stations, etc...), has stated how much better they like my Viper than 'The new one'. Do I take this to heart? No.... People just tell you what you want to hear. I'm sure other Gen II owner have similar stories, as do Gen III owners with the opposite scenerio. Again, the only thing that matters is what you think. Although, if you think the general public is ooooooooo'ing and aaaaaaaaa'ing over the SRT10 like they did the GEN I/GEN II, well, I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise. The Gen I/II was the poster car for an entire generation. The Lambo. Countach was the previous generation.... The SRT 10 is not. The GT40 now holds that title. Sad, but true.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When people compair the gt40 vs the SRT-10 it comes down to two different type of people. The looksy type and the numbers type. First the looksy type wants the newest super car on the block with all the pretty [******] installed. The numbers type can see the performance numbers on the first few production gt-40's comes close but doesn't match the srt-10 numbers. And with the gt-40's engine being supercharged there's not much room for inprovment. If DC ups the h.p the gt-40 is sunk.

Robert

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When people compair the gt40 vs the SRT-10 it comes down to two different type of people. The looksy type and the numbers type. First the looksy type wants the newest super car on the block with all the pretty [******] installed. The numbers type can see the performance numbers on the first few production gt-40's comes close but doesn't match the srt-10 numbers. And with the gt-40's engine being supercharged there's not much room for inprovment. If DC ups the h.p the gt-40 is sunk.

Robert

Now come on Silver Snack the number the gt is posting crush the SRT. If production is the same then the SRT is a real **-hum.

Tell me why DC would up the performance on the SRT if all you lemmings are so thrilled with it. You have stated over and over how great it is and how greatful you are to DC etc. etc....

Th GT is the newest supercar? Where the heck have you been? The GT has been around for about 40 years!

LOL

You must really be a car aficionado

:2tu: :eek: :headbang: .

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPAH (Steve '99 Silver/Blue C4)

This is Jack Powell Dodge, in Escondido, please stop bringing your Piece Of **** C4 to my dealership. I don't care how many "sneaky petes" you tape on the hood, it's a C4 Vette NOT a Viper! Everytime that **** pulls into my dealership I LMAO!

Also, my Viper tech,Mike, asks "why does that ******* with the C4 keep coming here?"

In the Garage
vipah.jpg

Out in the street

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SilverSnake: How would you not buy a GT-40 even if it was given to you? Wouldn't that make it a gift given to you? You wouldn't have spent a penny on it since it was infact given to you. So are you saying that if someone was really nice to you & gave you a GT-40 you'd say no? On another note the GT-40 is not a GT-40 is is mearly a GT. Now if they wanted to keep up with the previous mark (GT-40) it would have to be called a GT-43.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is Jack Powell Dodge, in Escondido, please stop bringing your Piece Of **** C4 to my dealership. I don't care how many "sneaky petes" you tape on the hood, it's a C4 Vette NOT a Viper! Everytime that **** pulls into my dealership I LMAO!

In the Garage
vipah.jpg

Out in the street

SRT, nice try at humor, but it wasn't funny the first time and still isn't. I feel embarrassed for you. By the way, Mike hasn't been the Viper tech at Powell for a while now. If you are going to try and take a crack at humor at least be accurate.

:eek: :2tu:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive a GTS,when I see a gen 3 on the road I think they look very cool..............I hope I did'nt kill this thread........

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRT-10 :2tu:

The point i was trying to get across, for the money the viper made the most sense. But if some one gave me a gt40
for free, ya i would take it.

Vipah,

You kill me, everybody has givin you facts about the SRT but you never respond. It's always the same line, now try to tell us were the new gt40 crushed us? And were the SRT shined?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Allow me to surmise:

The SRT is a great car. Those of us who own one, probably love it. If you don't like, good for you. I don't care if you own a Corvette, Porsche, GT-40 or even an older snake.

Take your back handed comments and get off our board.

You don't want us to have a performance arguement on your side of the site, do you? Surely, it is a war you can't win.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the Garage
vipah.jpg

Out in the street

SRT, nice try at humor, but it wasn't funny the first time and still isn't. I feel embarrassed for you. By the way, Mike hasn't been the Viper tech at Powell for a while now. If you are going to try and take a crack at humor at least be accurate.

:eek: :2tu:

VIPAH (Wannabe)
Steve ('99 Silver/Blue C4)

This is Jack Powell Dodge, I talk to Mike all the time, when I tell him you still try to pass off that Silver/Blue C4 for a Viper he still LHAO!

John, my service manager, said you drove that **** in for Recall 998 and he told you that it doesn't apply to C4s. Stay out of my dealership you *******!

LMAO!

In the Garage
vipah.jpg

Out in the street

[/QUOTE]

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dirk, not that I care what people think of my car, but you said it. "A boy and his mother were gawking at your car and not the GTS". I'm pretty sure and I have seen this many times, some people go straight for something with no top. If the beetle convertible was sitting next to the GTS, they would gawk at it too.