What is the problem with Gen I and II Vipers??

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YouWish,

GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I second that notion. Maybe these guys can take their old cars back to the little league section of the site.

YOU
You must be registered for see images
WISH

HOME SWEET HOME!
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
v10kingsnake said, "dirk, you make me soooooo mad i don't know where to start. first off, how could you say all the crap regarding the looks and performance on the gen 1/2 "

Please read the entire post. If you do then you will see that I was not bashing the Gen I/II, I was pointing out how owners of the GenI/II would react if I talked about their car the way that some of them talk about mine. Your reaction, and those of others whose attention span doesn't allow them to read the entire post proves my point.

vipah said, "Just not sure why you take it out in teh Gen I/II owners?" You don't get it either. However most of your posts are prime examples of someone who bashes a car he doesn't own on the other car's home turf.

YouWish said, "get a clue the GTS/RT-10's were getting pounded from the opening post go back and read it" Maybe you should get your own clue and read the entire post. The GenI/II cars were NOT bashed. Just making a point that you and your very short attention span have proven yet again.

Ssunburn - those are 5 great examples. I recently sold my Esprit tt. That body style has been in production (until this year) for more than 25 years with very few changes. Talk about timeless. Again, however, I disagree with luc. "Timeless", and "Classic" are both subjective.

BadVenm, I'm glad you got my point. I wish all Viper owners were as intelligent and tactful as you are. Although it IS subjective, I like your suggestions about aesthetics of future Vipers.

Raven Fan, Silver Snake, SRT 1o, SoFlSrt and others, thanks for jumping in there with voices of reason.

Dirk

PS - Craig, ......I give up. You know everything. I thought I did when I was 18 also. When you get out of school, get a job, have a mortgage, a family, and responsibility you may look at the world a little differently. You may even own something of value someday. If you do, you won't appreciate some little snot-nosed know-it-all kid taking pokes at stuff he knows nothing about.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk, you fail to realize that this is a forum ABOUT the Gen III, not for Gen III owners.

The fact remains that the Gen III just isn't as bad as the Gen I/II were when they were introduced. But hey, at least you have that cupholder! LOL

Sorry you feel so bad about your purchase that you have to keep running around telling everyone how great it is. Keep on talking, you may even beleive it yourself some day.

:2tu: :eek:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
vipah,

Get your facts straight in 99 they only sold 699 gts and in 2003 they sold 1875 srt-10's. So your statement about the the previous models has no base.

Robert

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first saw a Gen II, it was obviously a killer, even in RT form. The first time I saw the Gen III, it wasn't "obvious". I thought it would grow on me. Sorry to say, it hasn't. The coupe at VOI 8 looked great at first. Then, after visiting it several times, no "obvious".

I'm in the Woodhouse line of coupe orders, but if they don't change it to look like the GTS-R or comp coupe, I'm afraid I'm history. I don't need a car that doesn't grab me, expecially at that cost.

Dodge better wise up.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver Snack, are you saying that the SRT is really a mass production car? Well I guess that would explain the tame styling!

LMAO

Thanks for helping to prove my point!

:2tu:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the styling is so tame why did the sell so many the first year. Your just mad you didn't get real brakes :rolleyes:
or Maybe a srt-10 just smoke you to the point you feel the need to bash us.

Robert

P.S. GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :usa:

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
vipah - thank you for the enlightened, intelligent post.

I do 'realize' that this forum is both about and for Gen III owners.

I don't 'run around' telling how great my car is, but what if I did?

It is more telling that you feel a compulsion to lurk on the Gen III forum, hiding behind your keyboard making insulting posts about the cars of other people. Could that be an indication that you have horsepower, displacement, performance, handling, braking, ******* or other envy? I believe it was your very classy post that suggested Gen III owners suffered from penis envy. I don't recall you being around to take any measurments, but I'm sure your post is based on 'fact.'

You also need to check your facts concerning both sales numbers and performance. The SRT-10 is a performance monster. Few cars can come close. Certainly not your beloved Vette that you continuously refer. Automakers have raised the bar. We are at a highpoint for performance and horsepower. In spite of this, the Viper is still king, and a convertible also.

Dirk

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver Snack, you really sound like you have buyer's remorse.

I'm not bashing you, I'm bashing DC for letting all the Viper fans down. Rather than stepping it up a notch they stepped it down. Now the Viper has become a middle of the pack car. Just sit it next to a new Vette which is alomost half the price.

I like my brakes. Having to be a skillful driver to handle the beast is fine by me. Glad to hear that you prefer the tame, easy to drive type of car.

LMAO

:D :D :headbang: :2tu:

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk, you are clearly in denial. You need to seek help.

The Viper is no longer the king it once was. Sorry. Go look at the Vette numbers. DC should be shaking at the what the Z06 might do. Go look at other DC vehicles (AMGs) that have more HP and close numbers.

I do like the Gen III board. It is really good for laughs!

:2tu: :D

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipah,

The zo6 numbers haven't been released and the price is going to be north of 60k. I paid 68k for my srt so were to you get half the price? The amg cars also weight more than 4000 lbs so whats your point. DC maybe let you down but us gen 3 owners don't think so. Most people that buy this class of cars will only hold on to them for three years and move up. What happend to you?

Robert

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk, you are clearly in denial. You need to seek help.

The Viper is no longer the king it once was. Sorry. Go look at the Vette numbers. DC should be shaking at the what the Z06 might do. Go look at other DC vehicles (AMGs) that have more HP and close numbers.

I do like the Gen III board. It is really good for laughs!

:2tu: :D

rofl

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk:

If you,design/style wise, put a Ferrari 308 at the same level than a Ferrari Daytona or a Lotus Esprit to a Jaguar XKE,or a Pantera to a Cobra,or a Lambo Diablo to a GT40,I'm not surprised that you like the styling of the GenIII so much.

As for classic and timeless being subjective, the market has the answer:

Ferrari 308 $25K to $40K
Ferrari Daytona $100K to $200K

Lotus Esprit $20K to $40K
Jaguar XKE $50K to $100K

Pantera $20K to $45K
Cobra $150K to $400K

Lambo Diablo $70K to $120K
GT40 $300K to $600K

Luc.00GTS

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver Snack,

You are clearly just one of the mass market car buying lemmings. Most car nuts buy a great car and either hang on to it forever or wait for something that is truly better to come along (SRT isn't it). The SRT isn't up at all, it is down.

You really want to brag about how cheap the SRT is going for? Is that the sign of a step up? If you want to talk about a step up you may want to think about the Ford GT.

LMAO

Keep proving my point for me.

http://www.oursl.com/news/2004-04-07/2004-04-07.htm

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would be an interesting test:

Put a GTS, an RT/10, an SRT, a Ford GT, and an '05 Mustang in a parking lot and see which has the fewest people gawking at it.

LOL

We all know what the results would be. Heck I saw it at SEMA where there was virtually nobody looking at the SRTs.

:eek: :eek:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipah,

I wouldn't buy a gt-40. Even if it was givin to me. You realy don't have a brain the gt-40 is a supercharged 351 with no room to realibily to make any real h.p. improvments. I would love to do yor comparison in a parking lot with those cars. Why don't you try to arange it. I will bring my srt head to head with your 6 year old viper.

Also a car nut knows when to move up not down with a six year old viper that has the fit and finish of a k car.

Robert

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver Snack, it really looks like I struck a nerve. Must be your inferiority complex showing.

By the looks of your typing you may want to look into some anger management classes.

LOL

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Today at a gas station, not 15 minutes ago, my red SRT-10 was parked directly next to a red GTS. A woman and her son walked over and asked all kinds of questions, asked if the son could sit in the car. Then a car pulled off the road into the station just to look at the SRT-10. None of them even glanced at the GTS until I pointed it out to them. It is owned by a friend of mine and I felt bad for him, knowing how proud he is of the GTS. 2 different times, without any consideration for his feelings, I was told that the SRT-10 looks better. I love my friends car. The GTS is sharp, but so is the SRT-10, and many prefer the looks of one over the other. Maybe 'vipah' (how clever) was wrong when he says, "We all know what the results would be."

Vipah's last post tooting his horn about how wonderful his car is, isn't that exactly what he complained about Gen III owner's doing?? Didn't he say that showed 'buyer's remorse' and even 'penis envy'???

Hmmmm..

luc, you have a point. However, you can't just look at market price alone. A 308 sells for about the same as it did in the late 70's and early 80's, despite being produced in relatively high numbers. A new Lotus is about $85k (they quit making them) while some of the early 4 cylinder cars can be had for $20k. However, it is still a 'timeless and classic' design. The Lambos you talk about are newer low volume cars. The other cars you mention are very low volume. That affects market price as much as visual appeal. . The fact that you disagree what is 'classic' proves my point that this is 'subjective' meaning that it cannot be accurately measured or quantified. By the way, speaking of angular classic Fcars, the Testarossa is about as classic as you get. Also, the Daytona is not much more 'rounded' or 'curvy' than the new Viper. It is a blunted wedge.

Dirk

Dirk

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk, they were checking out your car because they thought it was the new 2005 Vette!!

LMAO

You cup holder performance car guys crack me up!!

:D :laugh: :2tu:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipah,

Get a life. Is that al you can come up with :rolleyes:

I am not mad just tried of the gts guys bashing us and our car.
What about the little comparsion, guess when you look at my profile you saw that i am right around the corner you backoff. I bet you do the same thing when a srt pulls up next to you

Robert

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk:

I respect your point of view and the SRT-10 still look better than 99%of the cars on the road (even if I personally believe that the GTS is a better design),what I found vey disturbing are all those personals attacks.
They don't belong on this board and reflect badly on ALL Viper's owners.

Enjoy the Viper that you like as I do with mine.

Luc.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver Snack don't ************ over there and give you a beating.

Not sure where I backed off on anything. You still own what most believe is the lamest Viper yet.

The SRT is a fine car. Just a poor Viper. It ranks right up there with the Corvette.

:2tu: :p

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visiting this SRT site, just gives the chance for the Gen I & Gen II owners to quite reviewing the antique section and wonder if they should change or not.
Timeless design my a*s try selling it - its not worth much, I just went through it, its a Dodge, not Ferrari.

I used to think my Gen II viper was great, and I still love them, however after driving and owning the SRT, the Gen II viper is like an antique to me. Driving my SRT, I find that I receive more looks and comments than in my Gen II.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DSI my point is trying to compare each car in its own day. So when the Gen I was introduced compare it to other mid '90s cars. I think you will find nothing came close. Same for the Gen II (up untill 2002 or so when you can argue that the Z06 was darn close for the money). The Gen III is a different story and there are contenders.

Did the other manufacturers get better? Yes. Did DC keep pace with the advantage? No. That's my point.

I'm not sure why some of the SRT guys get their ******* in a bunch over that statement. Maybe they just need another latte. We know they have the cup holder for it!

LOL

:headbang: :eek: :D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a GTS, an RT/10, an SRT, a Ford GT, and an '05 Mustang in a parking lot and see which has the fewest people gawking at it.

Fewest people, in order:

RT/10
GTS
SRT
Ford GT
'05 Mustang

And I am not guessing on the first three, I have seen this more times than you can count. What so many people fail to realize is that while the SRT styling is not as popular with SOME Viper owners, it is MORE popular with just about everybody else. I literally can't count the number of times people have commented on the SRT and how they like it more than my GTS. Not guessing on this one, it is stone cold fact. The challenge is that many Viper owners are repeat buyers, so if they aren't crazy about the looks they may not make the switch. The Ferrari community is VERY small, with plenty of repeat buyers there as well. If they design one that owners don't like then it won't sell to the previous owners.

Let's face it my condescending friend, the SRT-10 is superior in every single respect to the previous Vipers outside of the possible exception of styling - and that is 100% subjective. The SRT will out brake, out turn, out accelerate, out light (headlights), out sound (exhaust & stereo), out rubber (19" instead of 18" wheels in the back), out seat (better bolsters - so much so that several Gen II owners install Gen III seats), out displace (505 cubic inches to 488), out muscle (500 HP to 450), and out shine (convertible) ANY OTHER VIPER MADE. No bragging at all, this is stone cold fact. Is the GTS more exotic looking in my eyes? Yes. Is it more attractive in many other eyes (especially women)? No.

I can appreciate (for the most part) Craig's input based on wanting to see improvements down the line. While I definitely don't like this thread even in jest, having one Viper owner insult another Viper owner's ride is just absurd. Perhaps you should trade that GTS for a Supra - definitely more your style.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Silver Snack, you really sound like you have buyer's remorse.

I'm not bashing you, I'm bashing DC for letting all the Viper fans down. Rather than stepping it up a notch they stepped it down. Now the Viper has become a middle of the pack car. Just sit it next to a new Vette which is alomost half the price.

I like my brakes. Having to be a skillful driver to handle the beast is fine by me. Glad to hear that you prefer the tame, easy to drive type of car.

LMAO

:D :D :headbang: :2tu:

Oh you poor guy. The new Viper didn't let the older fans down at all. It simply evolved into something that you can't handle (as well as can't compete with). Maybe DC will build you a nice kit car someday, sans the cup holder of course. Enoy the relic.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raven, keep trying to convince yourself you got something great. If you wanted a Corvette or a Porsche you should have bought one.

My GT3 is pretty easy to handle and it will and is very evolved. But the Viper is a beast and should stay that way.

:2tu: