Who is interested in a Gen 2 adjustable coilover set for less than 1400

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking around and I am just not happy with the coilovers out there. We have some really good sets available but the pricing is way too high for my liking. Copying DOM's info from my other thread but this thread is to figure out if there is interest there. I have 2 companies lined up to create a shock. One of them will make it and I will do R&D. I want a good shock, ability to be lowered, and rebound adjustments. I want to be able to lower my car on the 19/20 setup and drive on the street comfortably. I have 2 members between here and the Alley assisting with this project, 99 R/T 10 (Mike) and twinturboterror (Mike). We have 3 cars lined up to do R&D on the coilovers, just agreeing on a price. The companies I have talked to have been made aware of the other options out there for us and I think it will be easy for them to curb the market on a set of decent coilovers.

From Dom on my previous thread prices

- Stock shocks Blue Koni's Used - $400
- Rebuild Koni Blue Shocks ------- $???
- Stock Shocks New -------------- $???
- KW Variant2 Coilovers --------- $4,000
- Penske8300 Shocks ------------ $3,400 + springs($??)
- Penske8700 Shocks ------------ $5,000 + springs($??)
- Moton Coilovers ---------------- $6,000

One thing I don't want to do is have the blue konis rebuilt and throw an adjustable collar on them. For the cost of doing that I want a different set of adjustable coilovers.
These coilovers are in no way shape or form going to be designed to out perform penske, moton, etc but they will bridge the gap from OEM Koni to KW Variants.

All this being said I would like to see how many folks are actually interested in the 2 Mike's and I pursuing this venture and making it happen.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Will at RSI. Hopefully we can get these to fall in the price range and I know there is definitely a market for them. Lets get a response together in regards as to who is interested in this product. This is not saying that I have agreed not to pursue the other manufacturer but I do support our Vendors and would like to see a product in the near future at a reasonable cost.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bridge the gap from OEM Koni to KW Variants.

I like the sound of that:2tu:

I would like to hear every detail of the proposals from the co's you are considering including; Specs/Construction/How they are adjusted/ect... Keep us posted

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More power to you! I was looking awhile back and ran into this same issue. A good quality product is always needed in the market place. :)

BEST OF LUCK!!!!

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes...lets see...honestly, 4k+ is sometimes hard to spend on a Gen 1 or 2 given all the other mods you can do for that price.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a decently priced coilover to purchase for the past week and have had the exact same dilemma. I am very interested.

One caveat though, if they even remotely ride like the POS Aldans that are on the car right now I won't touch them with a 10' pole.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally have never riden in a car with Aldans but a simple search and about 10 seconds has given me the information I need to stay away from them. The main 2 companies showing interest are very well known and reliable companies, one being Will at RSI and the second being D2. D2 has been around over 20 years and has a less than 1% failure rate, I'd say that's a pretty damn good statistic.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck to you!

When you're done, get them to manufacture something for the Gen III/IVs too...KWs are still the "cheapest" option out there

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What spring will they use and what adjustablility will they have?
I would be interested if they handle better (a worthy upgrade) on the track than my current lowering set up (Eibach springs and lowering caps).

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What spring rate would be good for an after market set? 600/800? If it is to be used on both street and track, it has to be the best of both worlds.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought KW's were closer to $3k than $4k. I think PartsRack had them for $3,200 last year. One place you might wanna contact is BC Racing. They make a more affordable setup I just don't know if they've ever done a Gen2 setup before. http://www.bcracing-na.com/index.php

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KW's are between 3200 and 3700.

I have contacted BC Racing as well.

Also to touch on what Mike asked we would need to know what the community wants. I want a good driving street car, but able to dial it up a notch to throw it on the track if I ever do again. Street driving is my priority. There is no reason we cannot create both and make it reliable. If you can provide what spring rates your looking for it would help immensely.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to buy brand new KW2's for $2,995 last year in March. The ride is much smoother, and I was able to lower my GTS on 19/20s running PS2s perfectly with no rubbing. Well worth the price! :2tu:

If you can get a set of KW2s in the $3,000 range you won't be disappointed.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy non reservoir coilovers for multiple different vehicles that ride great and are able to be lowered for significantly lower price. I would love to have KW2 but I am against spending 3k for a set of coilovers that I will mainly use on the street. Not saying they aren't worth it, just not to me.

On top of that you can find KW2 for many different vehicles for the 1300 dollar range for all 4. What dictates the more than double price increase on our set? The name, Viper.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are absolutely right lol, and I wondered the same thing when I was looking. Saw several sets ranging from $1,400-$2,000, and then an immediate jump to around $4,000 for any sets for a Viper. I eventually gave up looking for anything new or used around or under $2k, but still managed to get a good deal on them; considering what KW2's were selling for at most places. So even though it was more than I wanted to spend as well. I just considered it "Viper Tax" as I do with everything else I've bought for my car.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On top of that you can find KW2 for many different vehicles for the 1300 dollar range for all 4. What dictates the more than double price increase on our set? The name, Viper.

The lower rear fork is a big reason for the price increase. I think they are around $400 EACH from Mopar. This means companies either have to use the factory ones or make their own. They decide to make their own when then requires material, design, testing, machining, etc... They then also have to design and build a shock that accepts that new fork they made. The new fork has to thread on the bottom of it. They can't just simply put a normal end on it that a bolt goes through like for the top.

The other reason for the higher cost is they know they are going to sell a lower volume and also the lack of product competition. If Penske is selling their setup for $5k and KW sells theirs for $3500 they are in a different price point and are usually priced for different consumers. They don't see themselves in competition with each other.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen2 Spring Rates:
Front / Rear

250 / 450 Stock
400 / 750 ACR v1
500 / 1100 ACR v2 (too stiff)(even for road racing some switched to 750-800 rear springs)

Eibach spring rates:
343 / 457-800 Progressive

KW V2
365 / 685

My ride is pretty comfortable with Eibachs so i would like to see something Atleast as high as those rates. Perhaps two diff spring options could be developed for this new shock we are talking about. For example. One with a 325 front, and one with a 375 front...
As for linear vs progressive rears i think that has to do with taking up slack in the space so the spring stays tight between the top and bottom perches when fully decompressed. I think Eibachs have to be progressive since they put a shorter spring in the stock perch space as where standalone coilover packages have an adjustable perch. Im sure the manufactures will educate you more on this as you progress in talking about the design with them KNG.

Last edited:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, I don't track my car and most folks don't who own vipers...or at least they don't track them enough to rationalize that cost. Most folks spend more seat time on the highway and around town than at the track and that is where most of the market long term will be at...just my 2 cents. Besides, track folks have several options to choose from for track purposes, and the folks who are really tracking their car for time...could care less most of the time with comfort.

With that said, if it could be as smooth as stock...but simply lower by 1-2 inches...that would appeal to ALOT of folks in the existing and future Gen 1 and 2 market as less folks will be tracking these cars as they get older and simply use them as drivers. Most drivers like the stock comfort for driving around, but simply want it lowered. If that could happen, lowering without sacrificing comfort for an affordable price (given most new Gen 1 and 2 owners are more price sensitive now that the acquisition cost is 25-40k) then you should have a winner

once again...just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear forks do in fact raise the price though they are removeable. If you could create a shock and spring that screw into the rear forks, completley doable, you have a winner. Also the Viper is not the only car ever to have rear forks like that. I don't think it dictates the price to be driven that high.

On a side note I in fact have another GREAT lead and hopefully this manufacturer and I will be working the kinks out so we can get a good product to the community to fill this void.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a bead on a company that has a set of coilovers already produced in the spring rates of 564 front, 674 rears. They are dual adjustable, height and damper. There is talks about partial sponsorship from this company and I would basically get a set of new coilovers for a damn good price. I am pretty tempted but I believe their coilovers were designed on an SRT Viper and said to fit on all Gen Vipers. The salesman confirmed they have sets running on newer Vipers and believes none of the older ones run them. I don't believe they will work on my car if that is the case.

RTIO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been looking around and I am just not happy with the coilovers out there. We have some really good sets available but the pricing is way too high for my liking. Copying DOM's info from my other thread but this thread is to figure out if there is interest there. I have 2 companies lined up to create a shock. One of them will make it and I will do R&D. I want a good shock, ability to be lowered, and rebound adjustments. I want to be able to lower my car on the 19/20 setup and drive on the street comfortably. I have 2 members between here and the Alley assisting with this project, 99 R/T 10 (Mike) and twinturboterror (Mike). We have 3 cars lined up to do R&D on the coilovers, just agreeing on a price. The companies I have talked to have been made aware of the other options out there for us and I think it will be easy for them to curb the market on a set of decent coilovers.

From Dom on my previous thread prices

- Stock shocks Blue Koni's Used - $400
- Rebuild Koni Blue Shocks ------- $???
- Stock Shocks New -------------- $???
- KW Variant2 Coilovers --------- $4,000
- Penske8300 Shocks ------------ $3,400 + springs($??)
- Penske8700 Shocks ------------ $5,000 + springs($??)
- Moton Coilovers ---------------- $6,000

One thing I don't want to do is have the blue konis rebuilt and throw an adjustable collar on them. For the cost of doing that I want a different set of adjustable coilovers.
These coilovers are in no way shape or form going to be designed to out perform penske, moton, etc but they will bridge the gap from OEM Koni to KW Variants.

All this being said I would like to see how many folks are actually interested in the 2 Mike's and I pursuing this venture

and making it happen.

Yep you can count me in on that one

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vendors as you see there is a market for a quality coilover that doesn't break the bank. Can we get something rolling on this? I am still working with 2 companies but I think one of them has misinformation about their coilovers since they list them as fitting gen 2 and 3 Vipers, same kit.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in on anything under $2k.

I want the car lowered for looks, but I will be shipping it from base to base so I want it to be adjustable. My car will be driven mostly on the street with some spirited track runs, so reliability and feel should be better than stock.

I hope you find something for all of us!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think Cory at collector's choice has an adjustable shock setup for around 2k

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they worth a crap? Trying to keep in the 1400 process range but for a nice riding set of coilovers I can stretch a bit. I will contact Cory when I get a chance.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news, we have had postive results from D2 in regards to making a set of reliable coilovers for the Gen 2's so the bugs have been worked out. They have read all of your responses on the forums and are definitely interested in making a set for our vehicles. Hopefully everything will go well and we will get the ball rolling on this now. As of now the it is a go!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21