2013 Gen V picture on Leftlanenews

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying it isn't a good looking car.

I'm saying that it doesn't look like a Viper. It looks like a Euro nut ******* got behind the helm and designed a Euro wannabe Viper instead of the proud-in-your-face ethnocentric-obnoxious-American design we all love. Now it could look a whole lot different in person. To me it looks narrow and long which is not very exotic looking. If it's anything less than 78" wide in the rear I'll be disappointed.

Can anyone with some photoshop skills put the "speaker grills" on the hood? I think that will help balance it out some. Without louvers and with the extractors pushed so far forward the balance of the car is out of whack.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been stated over and over how awesome the new car was by about 600 folks who are die hard fans. I would not pass judgement till you see it for real. I thought the car was outstanding.

Bruce

Must say I agree with Bruce....we'll know in 12 days....and I think Dawg's idea about "speaker grills" does not work for me.

Bill

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the car in Salt Lake and the rendition above is pretty close from what I remember.

I agree, very close to what I saw also. Dont worry guys the pic does not show the whole story. In person it looks great. I remember telling Ralph just that.

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the folks that are bashing the alleged leaks even see the clay version at VOI. It has been stated over and over how awesome the new car was by about 600 folks who are die hard fans. I would not pass judgement till you see it for real. I thought the car was outstanding.

Bruce

I have been reading all your posts Bruce, and you are right on.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlknBlu

Have the folks that are bashing the alleged leaks even see the clay version at VOI. It has been stated over and over how awesome the new car was by about 600 folks who are die hard fans. I would not pass judgement till you see it for real. I thought the car was outstanding.

Bruce
I have been reading all your posts Bruce, and you are right on.
I didn't see it, so what? I'm ( and I guess the rest) are responding to the post at hand, and that thing looks boring. I hope the real thing looks better. I really do. If not, the value of our "older" vipers rises. So I guess it's a win-win either way.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure 60hp more and a more cuddly interior would make me trade my '08 Gen IV for that car. I will wait for a 700hp+ (OEM) ACR for under $115k. At some point in the power game, all-wheel drive should also be considered--there are obvious road and track benefits.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point in the power game, all-wheel drive should also be considered--there are obvious road and track benefits.
No. It shouldn't. The Viper is a street legal road racer that just happened to end up being a damn good drag car. RWD murders AWD on the track with qualified drivers. Adding 300+lbs of weight just so you can be Fast and Furious like Vin Diesel is stupid IMO. Stick with the road racing prowess.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure 60hp more and a more cuddly interior would make me trade my '08 Gen IV for that car. I will wait for a 700hp+ (OEM) ACR for under $115k. At some point in the power game, all-wheel drive should also be considered--there are obvious road and track benefits.

Since a 2010 ACR stickers at 113K with certain options you think a Gen 5 ACR would only be 2K more?
You'll be waiting a long time.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, just took another look. UGH... Ugly lower front, plain rear area... It just looks like something designed by Mitsubishi to take the place of the Eclipse.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please fill us in on all the "improvements" you see.
IMO This rendering looks like a cobbled together Gen 2 and Gen 4 design wise, with some Euro styling thrown in.

There were so many improvements and the details, but will list a few:
1) The hood was amazing in person and the bulges/roundness was spectacular. (no real angular shapes)
2) The Rear details were stunning as well (from the glass to the dip in the roof flowing to the glass to the spoiler) and the tail had a strong aston martin influence (which I don't think you get any better) with a carbon fiber diffuser (that might have been too big, but clearly viper)
3) The front grille was definately different and glad to see the old style go, but suspect will be a love/hate it deal
4) Sides more rounded
5) Rear in the pics looks narrow, but definately was not in person
6) Car had the best "stance" of any of the vipers from front/rear/side
7) Lights (head and tail) will be huge improvements (no matter what they come up with as I think current ones not a high point of the car)
8) Add in all of the above with more power, improved interiors, and higher quality and you have a ton of improvements and still no mistaking a viper.

Again, all of the above from combining all the little details ofwhat was seen at VOI with these renderings. I don't think anyone left that room thinking it was anything other than a viper with tons of influence from gen2 gts, aston martin rear and a unique new dodge/srt type front. All goodness.

The biggest question might instead be what will this look like in a conv form as so many great details were part of the coupe setup.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, you saw the car at VOI and this pic (which is close) and you still want to keep your Gen4? I can understand the folks just looking at a rendering and not having the VOI reference point to fill in the gaps... Having seen both, I think the car is such an improvement over all the prior Gen's so I am extremely excited and hopeful the actual car is close to what we saw at VOI.

I never did care for the front of the prototype shown at VOI, thought it was over done. The side profile looked good from what I remember but I can't remember the rear too much. I would have hoped that they would have cleaned up the front some. I'm still hopeful the Gen 5 looks more like the Volado concept. That is what I remember the side of the prototype looking like.

G

Gotvenom 08

What I see in that pic is a rendition of some thing will never be.Keep the masses talking and guessing.Free marketing of the upcoming event.

Like was mentioned previous............The hood and front view.Even tho at VOI the front looked busy. The purpose was to get feed back on the look.I stood inches from the front and saw the curves of the flow lines(curves) of the car.It was light years ahead of the look of the latest gen model.

One could picture the wind tunnel smoke just effortlessly flowing over this car

There really was no hard angles and as pictured.( As I remembered)..It just flowed.

Did any one mention the exhaust port? The oval side opening with the tapering side sill that was again so well thought out.The Gen 3/4 was a boxy side sill.Not on the VOI car.Smoothness as I call it and it looked so effortless.Just a continuation of the curves.

A definitly gen 2 side signature as it blended in nicely with the redesigned sills.
And the roof lines how it blended in nicely into the rear glass hatch.Different signature for sure and it will not be mistaken for any car made today.

So many months ago, just remember what I did see and this car has similarities,but yet so different.

Oh yea,,,,,,,,,,,the air ducts behind the doors?????????????Are these forgotten?

Just my 2 cents worth

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) The hood was amazing in person and the bulges/roundness was spectacular. (no real angular shapes)
2) The Rear details were stunning as well (from the glass to the dip in the roof flowing to the glass to the spoiler) and the tail had a strong aston martin influence (which I don't think you get any better) with a carbon fiber diffuser (that might have been too big, but clearly viper)
3) The front grille was definately different and glad to see the old style go, but suspect will be a love/hate it deal
4) Sides more rounded
7) Lights (head and tail) will be huge improvements (no matter what they come up with as I think current ones not a high point of the car)
8) Add in all of the above with more power, improved interiors, and higher quality and you have a ton of improvements and still no mistaking a viper.

Again, all of the above from combining all the little details ofwhat was seen at VOI with these renderings. I don't think anyone left that room thinking it was anything other than a viper with tons of influence from gen2 gts, aston martin rear and a unique new dodge/srt type front. All goodness.

The biggest question might instead be what will this look like in a conv form as so many great details were part of the coupe setup.

Well, that sounds a whole lot better than the picture that started this thread.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks more like a Gen 2 rammed into the back of a Ferrari and we get the Gen 5.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But will the world like it?

Yep

I think some of you wouldnt like it no matterwhat.

Truth be told I think the gen4 cooupe in ssg is one of the sexiest cars ever made. Truth be told I think the gts in black is oneof the sexiest cars ever made.

How much can you improve on an exterior thats already pretty amazeing?

I see subtle desighn cues in that pic that are gonna look modern an absolutely stunning compared to anything else on the market for sub 200k. Acr performance with zr1 beating straightline and an improved and more upscale interior.

Whats not to like?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing the coupe displayed at VOI whichever and then seeing the release of the 2003 Viper. Well I have high hopes just like back then but am prepared for another fart. My 01 sapphire gts with lemans bodywork may just be getting some more mods. GTS BRuce

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since a 2010 ACR stickers at 113K with certain options you think a Gen 5 ACR would only be 2K more?
You'll be waiting a long time.

Well, then I will just buy your 2014 when you are done with it!

Seriously, I am thrilled SRT is making the Gen V. I am hoping it looks more like the Volado concept and has 700hp OEM.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of you sound just like everyone when a new version of whatever they have comes out. We all heard the same things when Gen3 and even when the 4 came out. I have driven a Gen 2/3/4 viper and I would choose my Gen 4 ACR over any other road viper. I'm positive SRT/Dodge won't let us down with the Gen 5. It's going to take on the world and win. it will be the most complete viper ever created and will look the part. I'm not worried one bit.

The Volado concept has so many design elements that would never work on a road car. It's full of scoops and things that have no use. It's way over done, imo. It would look cool in some kind of sci-fi video game, but in the real world would never work.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood and bumper are too busy with too may vents, depressions and lines.
I can't see the rear in this shot.
I do like the front grill. I have always criticized the Gen2 cross grill. It's a symbol of Dodge I dislike.
4) Sides more rounded
I don't see that in the photos.
I think the coupe always looks narrow in photos.
Not sure about that. The roof does look quite high.
Quite boring lights.
I agree on potential power and quality improvements. Hopefully the dash layout is more attractive.

My comments in red. And how about this for unobtanium design. That's what I call beautiful design.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you think the viper design was "too busy" compared to this?

Like I say (and others as well), the rendering does not do a great job of showing the details or the size (big or small).

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you think the viper design was "too busy" compared to this?

Like I say (and others as well), the rendering does not do a great job of showing the details or the size (big or small).
The Viper V seems busy but the lines do not connect or flow well from the front or side views. I can't speak for the rear.

The Aventador J seems very busy too but all the lines flow perfectly. Lamborghini design has always been edgy and the lines fit in with that edginess.

The Viper V seems neither edgy nor curvy but a mishmash of both styles and therein lies the problem. I think the focus on trying to make it look a Gen II has overwhelmed the designers. The "clown shoe" is back!

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any car that has style and lines is tough to draw on paper. Dont worry I am sure we are going to love the car we all see in 8.5 days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper