35K.... What will it get me

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been new car/truck shopping and set myself a 35k limit. Then I thought maybe I would see what it would get me Viper-wise?

Do I need one? No

Would I like one? Yes, if the right one came along.

If not, I will just buy a new car or truck.

Not in a hurry, still have to sell my Stealth and another car to make room for whatever I end up buying. Maybe in the next month or 3 depending on what comes along.

So what's out there for 35k or less?

Yes I checked the ads, just looking to see if maybe someone has not posted their car up yet. OR maybe knows of something else?

TIA

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could probably get a Gen I , those are really sweet

there are a few GenII's in that price range here in the classifieds, look in years '97-'99

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that kinda cash will get you a very nice, clean gen2. modded or not.

and its ABOUT TIME !!!

let me know if you find one

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed...35K could get you a very nice Gen 2. In fact, it could get you MY Gen 2. I bought an '08 this year and have been thinking about selling the '97 for a while. It's a red 1997 GTS. 21K miles. 2 owner car. No major mods...only Borla exhaust and a K&N filter setup. EXTREMELY clean inside and out, fully detailed and just sitting in my garage. PM me if you'd like pictures or a video of the car. Located in Illinois near St. Louis. Thanks.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...or it is a very nice down payment on a newer model Snake, with a very reasonable payment.

Heh, had to throw that in, ha.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a ton of cars in this price range. eBay, Autotrader, and cars.com are good places to look.

Nick

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Pemberton has the right idea. With 0% financing, and new Vipers selling near invoice, maybe this is one of the easiest times to get into a brand new, fully warranted, Viper in the color of your choice.

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havn't posted mine for sale or thought about price, but for $35K I think we are ballpark on my 1997 B/W. The car is track monster but still drives great on the street.

Following mods:
SRT10 Brake conversion with ABS, calipers powdercoated in GTS blue - this cost me almost $10K to retrofit to the car.
penske adjustable suspension - Nitrogen can on each corner
3:55 gear ratio
Forza lightweight flywheel
short shift kit
6 point harness for both driver and pass in GTS blue
19 inch CCW street wheels with newer PS2s
18 inch Forgeline track wheels - needs new track tires
custom built oil pan with trap door - I had it drilled for supercharger incase I got the desire to add a paxton at some point
2 inch seat lower kit on both seats - I have the original brakets
various mgw goodies

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:now THAT'S a great idea!

take your cash and pay off any other debt you might have that has interest or use it for a down pmt on a new snake:)

...or it is a very nice down payment on a newer model Snake, with a very reasonable payment.

Heh, had to throw that in, ha.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1fast1 ,
if your car is in good condition(no accidents/bodywork) she's worth more than 35K IMO

o yea, how many miles on her?

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of miles, but in excellent shape. That is why I was thinking it would be worth something south of $40K. I think I have 50-55K miles on the clock. Car is in storage for the winter so I can't get an exact number

sizzflair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love this thread! (since I'm looking for a viper as well) 40k is around my budget and I'm 90% sure of buying around Feb-March 2010.

I was looking at the R/T... Only wished it had ABS and was a GTS instead (i just love that GTS rear... R/T rear doesn't look as hot) but it's a great deal for a TT viper!

How much do you think it will cost to own a new one with about $30k down?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had an RT/10 and then a GTS. I went back to the RT/10 because of the fun it is with the top of in the summer. It is much more fun at the cruises and chicks dig convertibles. :smirk:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT's being ******* in nice weather is hard to beat
GTS's look better overall

too dang hard to choose really if ya ask me.

like was said above, if you are going to mod the car anyways, buy the mods on the car already, trust me, modding aint cheap and you dont get squat back on them.

OP
OP
J

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of people selling and getting in touch with me. Thank you all.

Now the process begins with researching each car, and comparing year, miles, condition, mods, price, etc.

As far as mods go, I could take them or leave them. I do this kind of stuff for a living, and you won't find a more anal person about work performed than myself.

Looks like I will narrow it down to a GenII, and no preference as to GTS or R/T and this time.

Thanks again all, and keep the info coming.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also in the market. Looking for a Red RT/10 97-02. Would rather have a 01 or 02. So if you have one send me a PM.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love this thread! (since I'm looking for a viper as well) 40k is around my budget and I'm 90% sure of buying around Feb-March 2010.

How much do you think it will cost to own a new one with about $30k down?

New vs Used in you situation:
(ballpark #'s)

Used Gen2:

40K - 30Kdown = 10K to finance:

10K @ 4% for 48months = a monthly payment of 225

New Gen4:

90K - 30Kdown = 60K to finance:

10K @ 0% for 48months = a monthly payment of 1250

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now is the best time of the year to buy. Fall prices are the lowest and combined with the continuing recession you are seeing the best time ever to get a Viper. Even used Gen IV Vipers are getting into low 60's.

sizzflair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New vs Used in you situation:
(ballpark #'s)

Used Gen2:

40K - 30Kdown = 10K to finance:

10K @ 4% for 48months = a monthly payment of 225

New Gen4:

90K - 30Kdown = 60K to finance:

10K @ 0% for 48months = a monthly payment of 1250

Thank you for the breakdown. Most likely go with the Gen 2 route since I just love that body style more than Gen 4... Was planning to do 20-30k down do financing. Sounds like it's very doable :D Insurance wasn't bad when I checked... I think it was less than the STi, but then again I don't have any points on my record anymore and aged a few since then :lmao:

I've had an RT/10 and then a GTS. I went back to the RT/10 because of the fun it is with the top of in the summer. It is much more fun at the cruises and chicks dig convertibles.

I see... one question though... does the hardtop fit in the trunk or do you leave it in the garage? If so, I'd be hesitant since I won't have a garage...

Thank you all for your inputs (and sorry for jacking the OP's thread :2tu:) I just can't wait until I do some serious car shopping when January comes around.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look around 35K will get you the following....

-2003 convertable srt10

-possibly still under warranty till 2011

-30K miles or LESS

-clean title

-0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds

-1/4 mile in 11.8 at 122 mph

-0-150 mph in 19.5 seconds

-445 rwhp sae on a dyno jet

-top speed of 194 mph

-brakes that are simply amazeing

-handling that will go toe to toe with a 2006Z06/porshe 911TT ect.

- car that looks 95% like a 90K 2010 convertable and will look 100% like it with a hood/tire change

No question in my mind what so ever...A motivated seller of a 2003 srt10 for 35K is the best car you can get period for 35K...

You just get so much for 35K..Dont get me wrong..You can get some awesome gen2's for 35K..But you'll be driving 1996 technology in the interior/brakes/handling department...And while the GTs's have a timeless look..It is still never the less the "old" viper style...

A 2003 SRT10 for only 35K looks pretty much exactly like the pictures of Vipers for sale now that you see on the magazine stands ect.

Thats what I would buy with 35K no questions asked

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960