8.5MPG

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it shouldn't be THAT low right? I have smooth tubes, no cats, and magnaflow muffler. all city driving, a bit heavy footed. I got 9.5 mpg on my previous tank

plugs are fine. it idles fine..

maybe I need a tune? running rich?

I expected to be closer to 11 or 12mpg in the city. If 8-9 is NORMAL, I don't care, I didn't get this car to save the whales and polar bears

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe summer gas already :dunno:

bit heavy footed

and that is about right in my experience. without some highway miles (5th and 6th gear) sounds about right

ain't life grand

:drive:

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I'll hit the dyno and check my a/f ratios just in case there's any untapped power.

edit: oops. I guess I need a vec2. nevermind

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driving my 9-1 compression, Roe 10psi, 708 cammed, 1.7 rockers headers & exhaust I got 19.8mpg (US) across the continent to Detroit. The other 5 Washington VCA Vipers got 20 - 22mpg (2008 Viper). I just drove from Phoenix toe Nimpo Lake in a Paxton supercharged (exhaust) 2000 ACR with a Venom rear spoiler and got between 18.6 and 19.9mpg mostly dependant on speed. Quite a few hundred miles were well above 4000' of altitude. drove through the Nevada high desert at 7,000'. Average speeds were 70-85mph

Ted

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do a lot better than me. I however do drive it like I stole it daily.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Higway up to 20MPG, track around 3-5MPG.
And thats with blower...
Without the blower I got 23MPG from Myrtle Beach to Dallas, doing 55-65 on 6th.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned 5 Vipers, TWIN TURBOed and now Supercharged and plain stock. I have never had a Viper get that bad of mileage. All these Vipers average 14-16 in town and always 21 on highway driving. All these had the 3.07 gear. To me thats very bad mileage. However I would drive them if they got 3 mpg. I don't worry about it but I do check each to see what they get. Just my 2 cents.......

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are so many variables, I don't think one can discern issues between 8.5 and 9.5 mpg as so many things can contribute to a +/- 10% change. I get about 9 in town so you're not too far off.

Always a good idea to put it on a dyno and check the A/F....can't hurt.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get around the 20mpg to a UK gallon on the highway... NO WHERE NEAR THAT WHEN PLAYING !!! LOL :eek:)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my rt/10 I was getting that kind of mileage. I however was learning how to drive stick so I was not really down shifting to decelerate instead I was just hitting the breaks. So 9 MPG on a tank was not out of the question for me. I actually was proud of it at the time. Now I average between 10 to 13 MPG on a tank in my rt.
it shouldn't be THAT low right? I have smooth tubes, no cats, and magnaflow muffler. all city driving, a bit heavy footed. I got 9.5 mpg on my previous tank

I expected to be closer to 11 or 12mpg in the city. If 8-9 is NORMAL, I don't care, I didn't get this car to save the whales and polar bears

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i get 10mpg around town, 22mpg hwy when i drive from Austin to Houston. These numbers are following the local speed limits, driving like a senior citizen (so people can check me out), but when the opportunity arises, i turn into a prepubescent teen and, well you know the rest...

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my rt/10 I was getting that kind of mileage. I however was learning how to drive stick so I was not really down shifting to decelerate instead I was just hitting the breaks. So 9 MPG on a tank was not out of the question for me. I actually was proud of it at the time. Now I average between 10 to 13 MPG on a tank in my rt.

How does down shifting instead of breaking increase MPG in city driving?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didnt buy a viper for gas mileage but i do get a kick out of getting 21+ mpg at 80mph with the ac on with 800+ rwhp.

never checked or cared about the around town mileage

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
like I said, I didn't get this car for gas mileage either, I just want to make sure other people are way below 12 in the city

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like it's right on with the in town and heavy foot factor!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi