ACR in Motor Trend

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the latest MT in the mail and there is a sharp red ACR in there. It mentions that development is confimed and the delays seems to be the tires. On the downside, the article mentions that the Viper hp will be held back by Ferrari. That does not make sense. I do not see a Ferrari buyer switching to a Viper because it has higher hp. What a shame. Bring the ACR out with 750 hp and you won't see them sitting on the lots for sale.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More horsepower is not what the new ACR will be about. Never what is was about to begin with. I'm pretty sure it will be a street legal version of the GTS-R. Which would be awesome. I'm also pretty sure that most of that article is fluff. I don't see ferrari limiting HP for the Viper. If they wanted to limit it they wouldn't have let the GEN V come out with 40 more HP over the GEN IV. Healthy competition between brands is a good thing. Especially in house so to speak. :)

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More horsepower is not what the new ACR will be about. Never what is was about to begin with. I'm pretty sure it will be a street legal version of the GTS-R. Which would be awesome. I'm also pretty sure that most of that article is fluff. I don't see ferrari limiting HP for the Viper. If they wanted to limit it they wouldn't have let the GEN V come out with 40 more HP over the GEN IV. Healthy competition between brands is a good thing. Especially in house so to speak. :)
You might want to read the article. I read somewhere else that the new Z06 may approach 600 hp and the new ZR1 may be over 700 hp. Talking about healthy competition. I have a gen 4 ACR. I am sure the new ACR will be a great car, but I would like to see more hp especially in light of what the new Vette versions are rumored to possibly have, not even taking the Ferrari issue into consideration.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to read the article. I read somewhere else that the new Z06 may approach 600 hp and the new ZR1 may be over 700 hp. Talking about healthy competition. I have a gen 4 ACR. I am sure the new ACR will be a great car, but I would like to see more hp especially in light of what the new Vette versions are rumored to possibly have, not even taking the Ferrari issue into consideration.

I remember asking the same question (about HP) when the GEN IV ACR came out. There is A LOT that goes into recertification of an engine and I'm sure SRT can't spend the money just yet to get it done. You're mentioning you want 110 more HP out of the current engine. Don't think that's gonna happen. Not unless they are turbo charging or supercharging the v10. Plus they are bringing a convertible to market soon. I'm sure all testing the are doing for the next ACR is wind tunnel based. Car is gonna have a big wing and canards on the front. Saweeet! :)

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you get a chance to read the article, note the quote about the F12's power to weight ratio of 5.2 pounds per horsepower and how the Viper was not allowed to exceed that 5.2 ratio, so both the Viper and the F12 have the same ratio. The numbers are facts, not fluff, unless MT made a misprint. Let's take the ACR out of the equation. I bet the majority would like to have a new SRT or GTS version with 750 hp whether it be normally aspirated, twin turbo, or supercharged for bragging rights if nothing else. :)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you get a chance to read the article, note the quote about the F12's power to weight ratio of 5.2 pounds per horsepower and how the Viper was not allowed to exceed that 5.2 ratio, so both the Viper and the F12 have the same ratio. The numbers are facts, not fluff, unless MT made a misprint. Let's take the ACR out of the equation. I bet the majority would like to have a new SRT or GTS version with 750 hp whether it be normally aspirated, twin turbo, or supercharged for bragging rights if nothing else. :)

You'd be surprised how often the media gets the facts wrong. 80% of the time when they report on the company that I work at, they make gross errors or speculate based on rumors. It sure sounds like solid facts, but it's usually not. These are teams of analysts, supposedly experts, and are often way off. I really don't believe that SRT is holding back the Viper so as to not overlap Ferrari. Most CEOs worth their position would reject that outright. If you have the ability to create a product that competes with one of your competing products, you do it! Otherwise, someone else will fill that gap (ie- Corvette, GT-R, R8, ...). Ferrari does NOT compete with Viper, two different segments, as others have said. This article is at least partly bogus, or Fiat is stupid (which I don't believe is the case). I have a lot of respect for Sergio, I can't imagine him dumbing down the Viper so as to not compete with Ferrari, a careful analysis will show that would make no sense.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
power to weight ratio is very impressive. i though the F12 & veyron were the only 2 production cars ahead of the snake...even came in just a bit higher than the aventador...wow!

I too read 700 HP on the C7 ZR1...yikes. the ACR needs to consider that as it develops. Even the new Z06 will be close to the gen v hp-wise.

As for ferrari, I have several friends with 458 Italia's, 430's, 360's....cant wait to smoke 'em next season in my gen v:D

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw it on the news stands. Obvious photoshop, but cool none the less. Hope the rumors aren't true.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the latest MT in the mail and there is a sharp red ACR in there. It mentions that development is confimed and the delays seems to be the tires. On the downside, the article mentions that the Viper hp will be held back by Ferrari. That does not make sense. I do not see a Ferrari buyer switching to a Viper because it has higher hp. What a shame. Bring the ACR out with 750 hp and you won't see them sitting on the lots for sale.

I think there is a concern at SRT that performance alone won't sell cars, because the Gen IV ACR wasn't exactly a hot seller. Granted, there was a wee bit of economic downturn at the time, but the Gen V was all about fixing all the serious deficiencies in the interior and reviving a dead program. I'm hoping that once the production is rolling and sales come in that they have the time and budget to advance the performance of the Viper, by bumping the horsepower of the engine for all Vipers and introducing an ACR model.

I've heard rumblings about the next performance C7, and there will be frame differences to make it extremely light and powerful. I hope Ralph has heard the same scuttlebutt and puts a fire under the Gen V+ program. Given that the C6 ZR1 is already breathing down the neck of Viper, no CEO in their right mind would say let's wait for the Ferraris to be more powerful before we let you duke it out the C7+.

Given the price differential between even the less powerful base Ferraris and Viper already, I don't think any Ferrari dealer is going to look down the road at a Dodge/SRT dealer and be concerned. Sort of like Rolex and Timex, the way I see it. The nicest Timex chronometer doesn't really factor into Rolex buyer's market. Maybe TAG, but not Timex.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there is a concern at SRT that performance alone won't sell cars, because the Gen IV ACR wasn't exactly a hot seller. Granted, there was a wee bit of economic downturn at the time, but the Gen V was all about fixing all the serious deficiencies in the interior and reviving a dead program. I'm hoping that once the production is rolling and sales come in that they have the time and budget to advance the performance of the Viper, by bumping the horsepower of the engine for all Vipers and introducing an ACR model.

I've heard rumblings about the next performance C7, and there will be frame differences to make it extremely light and powerful. I hope Ralph has heard the same scuttlebutt and puts a fire under the Gen V+ program. Given that the C6 ZR1 is already breathing down the neck of Viper, no CEO in their right mind would say let's wait for the Ferraris to be more powerful before we let you duke it out the C7+.

Given the price differential between even the less powerful base Ferraris and Viper already, I don't think any Ferrari dealer is going to look down the road at a Dodge/SRT dealer and be concerned. Sort of like Rolex and Timex, the way I see it. The nicest Timex chronometer doesn't really factor into Rolex buyer's market. Maybe TAG, but not Timex.

Good, solid analysis, Chorps.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if those 8.7 liter rumors of 2 years ago will ever come to fruition..

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saw it on the news stands. Obvious photoshop, but cool none the less. Hope the rumors aren't true.

You would wish for another car to be slower so you can feel superior for having a faster car? That doesn't make sense. If corvettes end up faster than expected, then you have another option to buy a faster car. If you will only buy vipers because of some silly brand loyalty, then you can continue to buy a viper. Perhaps a fast corvette will make them up the ante and win-win for the sheep who would rather everyone else get slower so they may feel superior in a car with a badge they feel loyal to.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would wish for another car to be slower so you can feel superior for having a faster car? That doesn't make sense. If corvettes end up faster than expected, then you have another option to buy a faster car. If you will only buy vipers because of some silly brand loyalty, then you can continue to buy a viper. Perhaps a fast corvette will make them up the ante and win-win for the sheep who would rather everyone else get slower so they may feel superior in a car with a badge they feel loyal to.

Or.....
Maybe they don't want a faster Vette. Maybe just wish their favorite car (Viper) was faster.....:dunno:

The age old problem that I will never understand with the Gen 4s will again be present in the Gen 5s.

We aren't able to modify our cars. If SRT would release the codes, this problem would not exist.
We could modify our cars as much, or as little as we want.

WE, the Viper owners, could decide how much HP we want.
Kinda' like the Vette owners do now...:smirk:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or.....
Maybe they don't want a faster Vette. Maybe just wish their favorite car (Viper) was faster.....:dunno:

The age old problem that I will never understand with the Gen 4s will again be present in the Gen 5s.

We aren't able to modify our cars. If SRT would release the codes, this problem would not exist.
We could modify our cars as much, or as little as we want.

WE, the Viper owners, could decide how much HP we want.
Kinda' like the Vette owners do now...:smirk:

Until they do, I will never buy another Chrysler product long as I live. I'm only 35 btw :p

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C7 isn't going to be modifiable. The PCM is encrypted with a key per car, no master key - so - not happening.

IMO Chevy wants to stop people from upgrading, so that if they want a higher HP car, they must buy a Z06 or ZR1

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please no factory forced induction for the Viper. That completely defeats the purpose of a ludicrous 8.4 V-10. You shouldn't need FI from the factory. If Fiat wanted the Viper to compete, they'd have it compete with 700NA HP. I'll take 700NA HP over 750FI (or even 800) any day of the week. It all goes back to the whole "me-too" argument. The Viper is not a me-too. It's a pariah. Viper don't need no stinking super-turbo chargers.

Ferrari is definitely holding the Viper back IMHO. The market has changed and it seems like more and more high end exotic owners are bothered by their uber expensive cars not being the fastest, or even close.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Gen IV didn't sell because it was a terribly boring design. There is no wow factor when seeing it on the road. The coupe had some Frankenstein rear with huge body gaps for this awkward trunk, no sense of design, straight/flat sides...the only people who loved it were Viper enthusiast. It didn't wow all car people like the Gen I/II did. The Gen III/IV was just plain old a boring design. Had the competition coupe been the street car with a slightly shorter wheel base things would have been much different for the Viper. They overproduced a not very desirable car.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV didn't sell because it was a terribly boring design. There is no wow factor when seeing it on the road. The coupe had some Frankenstein rear with huge body gaps for this awkward trunk, no sense of design, straight/flat sides...the only people who loved it were Viper enthusiast. It didn't wow all car people like the Gen I/II did. The Gen III/IV was just plain old a boring design. Had the competition coupe been the street car with a slightly shorter wheel base things would have been much different for the Viper. They overproduced a not very desirable car.

Terribly boring? Have you actually seen one in person? At our last VCA dinner, my jaw hit the floor watching Maurice's snakeskin green drive away. All year Vipers have wow factor. How you can be wowed by the Gen I and II but strongly dislike the Gen IV just doesn't make sense to me. They are closely related in design language. I prefer the Gen II as well but I would never consider a Gen IV terribly boring.

Last edited:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ummm...I meant the rumors about Ferrari holding SRT back, but good job going off on a non existent tangent. :rolleyes:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you even serious right now? It had nothing to do with Frankenstein or body gaps. Do you even remember what was going on in 2008 and 2009? Everyone was freaking out because of the economy, fuel prices, stock market and housing debacle. That coupled with the rumors of Dodge selling off the Viper name did no favors to a $100,000 V10 2 seater.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Gen IV saw slower sales due to the same economic factors that saw sales of virtually all " Want " cars decline. No one needed a Viper, Vette, Porsche,Lambo,Mercedes, etc. and sales were down Worldwide. Looks are always subjective, but I know having had 3 Gen IIs, three Gen IIIs, and now my ACR, at local car shows the Gen IV ACR gets more looks , questions , etc. than any of the other Vipers I have owned. Doesn't even matter if it is my favorite, the reactions tell the story.

Folks usually think the car they own is the best one out there, and that is human nature. The reality is interesting , as we get 4 to 5 times more requests for Gen III and Gen IV cars than Gen IIs. People seem to love Vipers across the spectrum, but no one is foolish enough not to believe everyone will have their specific favorites. I enjoy the entire evolutionary line, but I too have my favorite, though like the first girl you kissed, there are soft spots for all of them in my heart.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terribly boring? Have you actually seen one in person? At our last VCA dinner, my jaw hit the floor watching Maurice's snakeskin green drive away. All year Vipers have wow factor. How you can be wowed by the Gen I and II but strongly dislike the Gen IV just doesn't make sense to me. They are closely related in design language. I prefer the Gen II as well but I would never consider a Gen IV terribly boring.

+1

My 2008 SRT Coupe (GTS Blue/Silver Metallic Stripes/Gray-Black Interior with Carbon Fiber bits/HRE P40s in Brushed Chrome) looks mean and gets people hanging out of their cars to take photos all the time--and I am in Southern California where every type of vehicle is on the road. The body gaps seem fine and build quality was excellent. The car pulls like a T-Rex and corners like it is on velcro.

It is for these and other reasons that I will only upgrade when it makes sense to do so. For me (and only me), a Gen II-looking Gen V with 40 hp/trq more and Napa leather is not worth the $70k to upgrade. I am confident that SRT, lead by Ralph, will significantly re-tool the Gen V in power and looks without even thinking of increasing price beyond $125k Loaded so that it will continue to occupy its rightful place in the market as a top-performing vehicle. If this does not happen, then the good news is that it appears that there will be more and more alternatives in the future, even if the alternatives are outside of SRT. I for one am rooting for SRT!

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, the attraction of the Gen IV ACR to the crowd is the wing. The wing makes it look like a "real" race car! IMHO, a Gen II ACR, had there been one, that had a wing, would have attracted similar attention. Therefore, IMHO, the Gen V ACR MUST have a wing if it is to attract similar attention.

Having read the articles on the Drive site about the design of the body of the GTS-R, I have very high expectations of the Gen V ARC. :2tu:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
" like the first girl you kissed, there are soft spots for all of them in my heart."

LOL Bill way to easy to have fun with that comment :) Since its Friday and I am in a good mood I wont make comments :)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, a Gen II ACR, had there been one, that had a wing, would have attracted similar attention. Therefore, IMHO, the Gen V ACR MUST have a wing if it is to attract similar attention.

Having read the articles on the Drive site about the design of the body of the GTS-R, I have very high expectations of the Gen V ARC. :2tu:

Actually there was a Gen II ACR. It made 10 more hp than the regular GTS because of smooth tubes. It wasnt anywhere near as radical as the Gen IV ACR, however, and its performance over the regular Gen II's wasn't anything like what the Gen IV ACR had over the other Viper models on a track.

On topic I would hope they give the ACR a bump in hp as well. Why not? 675-700hp with 1500lbs downforce would give anything outside of hyper cars a major league beatdown. Not to mention that combo would most likely guarantee the ACR being the first real production, non hyper exotic car to dip under the 7 minute mark at the Nurburgring.

I remember Ralph saying years ago that the next ACR would be wild and have more power then the regular Viper. If I knew where to find that info still Id link it but Im sure Im not the only one that remembers that being said. So I guess, just like with the final performance numbers of the SRT/GTS Vipers, we will have to wait and see what SRT will do with the ACR. I really hope they shoot for the stars with the ACR instead of the approach they took with the GTS/SRT Gen V's performance vs the competition.