American Nothing...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS is fast because it's red! (Just to keep on topic)

This is posted in "the pit" but I think the majority of you would want to know and maybe give DC your opinion about this:

You must be registered for see images

http://www.neandernews.com/?p=332
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/05/daimlerchryslers-new-ad-campaign-bash.html

Keep it semi-civil, please. Let them know you're a VCA member, and mad as h3ll. :evilmad:
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0-5-141606-1-168243-1-0-0-0-0-0-249-10736-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
My GTS is fast because it's red! (Just to keep on topic)
You must be registered for see images

I thought it was <font color="red">RED </font> with <font color="white">WHITE </font> stripes? (To help keep on topic) :D

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. Look at the POS that they are advertising. I'm GLAD that there's nothing American about it!

DrDJ

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. Look at the POS that they are advertising. I'm GLAD that there's nothing American about it!

DrDJ

Good point, but I still think DC needs to apologies to the American public, and someone should kick the hell out of that advertising exec.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DrDJ

Exactly, that's a good thing!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another re-post for the Pit. Food for thought.

Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says "I love New York" in Arabic.

You gotta love Robin Williams......
Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past &amp; present. You know, ******, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good ole boys", we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days, the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

If you agree with the above forward it to friends...If not, and I would be amazed, DELETE it!!
The Plan!

Doesn't sound like something Robin Williams would say, but maybe he was in a really pissy mood that day and felt like standing up for his country. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Another re-post for the Pit. Food for thought.

Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says "I love New York" in Arabic.

You gotta love Robin Williams......
Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past &amp; present. You know, ******, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good ole boys", we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days, the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

If you agree with the above forward it to friends...If not, and I would be amazed, DELETE it!!
The Plan!

Doesn't sound like something Robin Williams would say, but maybe he was in a really pissy mood that day and felt like standing up for his country. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10

EXCELLENT PLAN! :usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The ad could just be saying that you get a real Euro flavor car from DC, if you live there and want that kind of thing, and not a big, thirsty American style car.

BUT- They still didn't have to say it like that! As one guy put it- Its a "wise azs comment", a double meaning, and its loaded with anti-American sentiment. Thats what gives the ad its "zing", in that it taps into the popular under-current of European disdain for America. The ad seeks to promote a DC product at the expense of their American employees honor, and at the expense of American sentiments. Its the old familiar game of America bashing.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a PC reply from them. Unfortunately as they say in the courtroom "You can't un-ring a bell." All I can say is DC better build one helluva Viper in 2008.
[below is the email from the not-so-smart infocenter team]

Thanks for your e-mail and advice on our recent local (only South Africa) advertising billboard.

Please let us clarify that the message on this billboard refers to the characteristics of vehicles manufactured in various countries. American vehicles are famous for being large in size and as a result are not recognized as very fuel efficient. These characteristics are in no way insulting to American vehicles but are regarded as a general perception of the authentic American vehicle.

smart is a Euro-centric brand and this message aimed to portray the brand image and product characteristics. This billboard was produced by the South African smart organisation and formed part of a local campaign that promotes the smart forfour vehicle features and brand personality.

South Africa hosts a rainbow nation with a melting *** of cultures, races, religious denominations and differences. Its constitution respects each and every individual citizen. As such, the South African smart organisation is also very sensitive to the basic principle of tolerance and understanding and the billboard would never have been permitted to go to production if it was an affront to these principles.

Nevertheless we had to realize that the message on the billboard was not understood and totally misinterpreted. As you might know, we at smart are part of a German-American company and do have customers around the world as well as American employees. Never was it our intention to insult any of these customers, employees or the American public. Therefore please note that we have withdrawn all concerned billboards as soon as the first complains came up and please let us apologize for any confusion or affront caused.

Kindly accept our apologies and take for granted that we will be more careful with our choice of marketing claims in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and best regards,

smart infocenter team.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I seriously doubt Robin Williams said/wrote this...and I just checked snopes, and it is falsely attributed to Robin Williams: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/williams.asp

With regard to the specific line I quoted above, actually I suspect a large amount if not a majority of the legitimate students that come here from foreign countries are over age 21, because they likely got their undergraduate degree in their country and are coming here to do their PhD.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a PC reply from them. Unfortunately as they say in the courtroom "You can't un-ring a bell." All I can say is DC better build one helluva Viper in 2008.
[below is the email from the not-so-smart infocenter team]

Thanks for your e-mail and advice on our recent local (only South Africa) advertising billboard.

Please let us clarify that the message on this billboard refers to the characteristics of vehicles manufactured in various countries. American vehicles are famous for being large in size and as a result are not recognized as very fuel efficient. These characteristics are in no way insulting to American vehicles but are regarded as a general perception of the authentic American vehicle.

smart is a Euro-centric brand and this message aimed to portray the brand image and product characteristics. This billboard was produced by the South African smart organisation and formed part of a local campaign that promotes the smart forfour vehicle features and brand personality.

South Africa hosts a rainbow nation with a melting *** of cultures, races, religious denominations and differences. Its constitution respects each and every individual citizen. As such, the South African smart organisation is also very sensitive to the basic principle of tolerance and understanding and the billboard would never have been permitted to go to production if it was an affront to these principles.

Nevertheless we had to realize that the message on the billboard was not understood and totally misinterpreted. As you might know, we at smart are part of a German-American company and do have customers around the world as well as American employees. Never was it our intention to insult any of these customers, employees or the American public. Therefore please note that we have withdrawn all concerned billboards as soon as the first complains came up and please let us apologize for any confusion or affront caused.

Kindly accept our apologies and take for granted that we will be more careful with our choice of marketing claims in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and best regards,

smart infocenter team.
The only way DC will make a hellava Viper in 2008 is if they make a even better MB branded Luxo-dragster first... we all know how important it is for grandpa to beat Joey at the track and dragstrip. :rolleyes: I'll try to stay optimistic, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for their response... makes me want to slap them even more. "Let me apologize by insulting you some more... We're not insensitive, you're just not cultured like us." :rolleyes: :evilmad:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
The only way DC will make a hellava Viper in 2008 is if they make a even better MB branded Luxo-dragster first... we all know how important it is for grandpa to beat Joey at the track and dragstrip. :rolleyes: I'll try to stay optimistic, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for their response... makes me want to slap them even more. "Let me apologize by insulting you some more... We're not insensitive, you're just not cultured like us." :rolleyes: :evilmad:

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. The germans are superior to all of mankind. It's hard for the rest of us to get their elevated thoughts and statements. With that in mind you'd think that their superior intelligence would make them smart enough to know that and they would not have put out an ad that we inferiors would "misinterpet" as an insult to Americans. :p

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt;&gt;&gt;This billboard was produced by the South African smart organisation...&lt;&lt;&lt;

I don´t know whether any DC manager in Germany or the US saw and approved the ad, but ... its a dumb ad anyway!

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes I have been craving a car with high Swiss content for many years. No wait, that was a watch.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, the ads are withdrawn. nothing more to say...hmmm.....

What else can we get upset about? ;)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about beating on the South Africans now?

Must have been Blacks?
Muslims?
What else?

Start the beating!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't South Africa where the Black government came in and kicked all the white landowners off their own land, and turned it over to fellow blacks. Think that almost destroyed their economy.

Don't know what religion dominated the government down there now.