Buying a Viper Need your advise

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 97 blue with white stripe GTS in perfect condition, all stock with 24,000 miles on it. Edmonds.com appraises it at about $26k and everyone out there seems to be charging more that than. Why does it seem to be overpriced and also what then would be a fair and honest price to buy one at. Please please I need your input. Thanks

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that Edmunds is a site for insurance companies to pay from. Being a "Blue or Black" Book value it's not much good and doesn't reflect actual values.

I recently bought an 08 dodge Ram. I was offered $3000 for the wife's Escape. Since the asking price on craigslist and Buysell/Autotrader/ etc. is about $8000, I kept the escape and am selling it privately.

Your 24K Blue/white is good for 33 or so. Concition, tires, modifications, wheels, stereo, etc. all matter. If the car has OLD tires and is all stock check for recalls (not done lowers value a couple thou).

Gen 3 brakes, aftermarket exhaust, lightweight wheels and rotors all greatly improve the Gen2s and increase their value.

At 20,000+mi. this is no collector car so if it doesn't have exhaust at least, buy a different car with aftermarket exhaust. The side sills and your calves will thank you. If you want WORLD class stopping power, get upgraded brakes. Either Gen 3 (14") or slotted/crossdrilled rotors will shorten stopping distance to about 100'. Personally, I'd either include Tom's rear claiper upgrade or have to spend the $1,000 and do it myself after buying the car.

Not trying to push my ideas onto you, but you did want the PERFECT Viper, right?

Ted

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Everyone forgets that these books are all called guides , and they are not an exact science. For years Edmunds was what everyone used when they wanted to get a strong Insurance settlement , and they were notoriously high on their evaluations. Kelley Blue Book was often too low, but they went through a period where they were pretty reasonable. According to a reliable source, Kelley now uses auctions to figure the prices on Vipers, since there are so few out in the market compared to other makes ( figure an average year only has 1500 or so made ). NADA has been fairly vague, but seemed to be the first to try and break down Vipers more on condition than the others and this was years ago. All in all they are good for a basic background information, but in the case of the car you are looking at, none of the guides give credit for it being a blue/white 96/97. Since these model ( GTS )/years are often considered by many to be the iconic Viper example , they almost always go for more money. Finding one in good shape in the 20s in fairly rare, though it would be possible based on mileage. In all likelyhood , most 96 /97GTSs you will find will go in the 30s,40s, or 50s --- based on condition and mileage.

Everyone has their opinion, but a 11/12 year old car is very much going to be established by it's overall condition, paint, repairs, history, and after this many years there can be numerous variables.

Good Luck,

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Book" values are for ordinary/average cars. People pay far above Kelly and Edmund's values for Collectible/Classic Cars.

In 10 years that B/W GTS will be worth well over $80K but the "book value will read something like 10-20 grand. Its called appreciation and kbb/edmunds dont account for it cause it aint their business. There business is to provide car values as a tool for the Average seller/buyer.

FYI
Low-mileage B/W's have been going for 50-60K the past couple years at collectors auctions.

If the GTS you are looking at is really in perfect condition with only 25K miles i'd say its worth over 40K. As always, we recomend getting someone who knows alot about vipers to inspect the viper before you consider purchasing. goodluck

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a real estimate, call Woodhouse or something that would be more realistic is NADA.com. Edmunds and Kellys blue book are worthless.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 97 blue with white stripe GTS in perfect condition, all stock with 24,000 miles on it. Edmonds.com appraises it at about $26k and everyone out there seems to be charging more that than. Why does it seem to be overpriced and also what then would be a fair and honest price to buy one at. Please please I need your input. Thanks

My input would be to READ ALL THE REPLIES ON YOUR SAME THREAD OF LAST WEEK:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/625351-wanting-get-gts-need-your-help.html

OP
OP
J

jjbondzio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, I am new to these threads and dont know how to go back and read my other replies to old threads, can you please expalin how i can view them

Lemon_Twist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JJ, I agree with Dom. KBB value is more for the "used car" type of Viper. I would think that $35K is a much more realistic price for the car you are looking at as opposed to the $26K. Now is a great time to have the $$$ to be shopping for a Viper. When Dodge finally decides to kill the program, look for a spike in prices, I'm sure.

Rod

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are wanting a '96/'97 blue/white stripes you should go to VCA clasifieds under GTS then go to 1996 and check them out and then to 1997. If you can afford it the sweetest one would be the one with only 653 miles on it. Regardless, that will give you something to compare to.:2tu:

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At 20,000+mi. this is no collector car...

Ted

What? In 30 years will anyone care how many miles are on it? As long as it's as close to original as possible and is in nice condition it won't matter (unless it's extremely low like <1000 or something). Look at the classics selling at auctions today. They don't even bother to mention the original mileage because in most cases it's a couple hundred thousand.

Buy it now, drive it, mod it, keep ALL the stock parts, keep it maintained, ENJOY IT!

When the time comes and the car is a collectable classic you can install the stock parts and make some money. The best part is that during those 30 years you will be driving one of the most bad@$$ cars on the street.

No offense Ted (BTW your car sounds absolutely AWESOME!!!) this is just my $.02.

Rob

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What? In 30 years will anyone care how many miles are on it? As long as it's as close to original as possible and is in nice condition it won't matter (unless it's extremely low like <1000 or something). Look at the classics selling at auctions today. They don't even bother to mention the original mileage because in most cases it's a couple hundred thousand.

Buy it now, drive it, mod it, keep ALL the stock parts, keep it maintained, ENJOY IT!

When the time comes and the car is a collectable classic you can install the stock parts and make some money. The best part is that during those 30 years you will be driving one of the most bad@$$ cars on the street.

No offense Ted (BTW your car sounds absolutely AWESOME!!!) this is just my $.02.

Rob

Sorry, I meant Collector Car as in purchasing a car for garage parking or "looking at' and not for driving. Mine had 20,000 miles on it when we were at the BANK. Now I've got 42,000miles only a year and couple months later. There are DRIVER cars that are built/meant for driving (like mine) and Collector cars like the one in the classifieds.

I wouldn't buy a 680 mile car to drive. One with a few thousand miles would be better for driving. 280 miles means that it's really old and hasn't been broken in properly. I would expect a lot of seal/Ujoint failures and if the oil wasn't ever changed I'd be scared to buy the car.

You're right ALL Vipers are BAD ASP and, thanks, I like mine best. :) :drive::drive:

Viper is the best driving car I've owned by far and I bought it for driving. Once I wear it out, I'll buy another Roe sc'd GTS.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960