Can the wax get removed from plastic molding?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if you guys have covered this but, I've got a Z71 Suburban with the plastic wheel well cover and they have gotten wax on them that I never seem to get off. Has anybody solved this problem with wax on black plastic?

4030DSC02520.JPG

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I googled this as I was curious too. "Use isopropyl alcohol with an old tooth brush or isopropyl pads". Meguiars has a #38 and 39 product too according to the site.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if you guys have covered this but, I've got a Z71 Suburban with the plastic wheel well cover and they have gotten wax on them that I never seem to get off. Has anybody solved this problem with wax on black plastic?

4030DSC02520.JPG

armorall works well,u just have to massage it in a few times,dont get it on the paint,i use mask tape when doing this,and also when buffing or waxing to keep it off

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It works well...although I know it's just an existing brand already out there on AutoZone shelves rebranded as "Griot's" but I haven't been able to crack the case yet. I did find out who makes their Microfiber towels. :D

Literally, one minute after I posed the above reponse, I got a %15 off "Customer Appreciation" email coupon from Griot's. :omg: SCARY. They're watching me. BTW, the coupon code is: EMTDB

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use "Back To Black". I forget who makes it. Found it at AutoZone/Advance Auto Parts. Works just fine on the black plastic trim.
Not sure about any other colors.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peanut butter....No S*%$..... try it

Plain or crunchie?

I have the black to black and it works great but washes right off again but the alcohol works great.:headbang:
You have to work it into the groove and texture of the molding but it does remove the wax.

Thanks all

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you can find the original Black Magic stuff, snag all of it you can get. It works great and repels dust and dirt really well. The new tire wet Black Magic is more like armorall, and starts to turn brown and looks oily...

Sniper

MattInNC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mr Clean Magic Eraser (yes the one in the cleaning isle at the super-market) - worked great on my window mouldings on my F350. Took the wax off with litte effort.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya but those mr clean erasres only work if u got a bald head!:rolaugh:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds crazy, but when I had some wax on the cowl of the viper which had been on there for a year or so. This leather care/cleaner that I had from Mercedes took it right off and left it looking like new.