Chrysler prices new Viper near $100,000, below Corvette ZR1

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bob,

Keep in mind the delivery charge is part of the entire contract and would not change even if one did a Factory Pickup. Delivery charges are the same for a Dealer in say Ann Arbor , Michigan as they would be to Miami , Florida.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the "Launch Edition" was created for Viper loyalists like ourselves, I really wish the "Launch Edition" was the base car with the 6 vent hood rather than brute forcing us into the GTS model for $120K+ I LOVE Vipers, but that's a lot of dough...and I don't care about the extras on the GTS.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they going to build cars that haven't actually been ordered and/or paid for already?

They would have to. At 2000 units a year and 5 work days x 52 weeks- factor in holidays and you have over 8 a day. I don't think they can average selling that amount daily, but we will see.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Bill.
Bob,

Keep in mind the delivery charge is part of the entire contract and would not change even if one did a Factory Pickup. Delivery charges are the same for a Dealer in say Ann Arbor , Michigan as they would be to Miami , Florida.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As expected by many here. Very nice it is priced under the ZR1, nice little jab there. Very interested to see the option list with prices but impressive so far.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Convertibles price is?.......................................crickets..............................................crickets...................................... Fingers crossed at those price points in the economy we are still in... I hope they sell the heck out of it and fire up the Vert production! I hate to see the car go away again....

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Billy P.......so what are the SRT version stripes going to look like? I was bemoaning the fact that I should like to see three options for the middle tail section and SRT did it. It would be nice to see the front and back of the SRT version with stripes. You can have stripes though the paint color middle tail section ? ....unlike the GTS version. I may have missed it but can you order the GTS seats in the SRT version? Thanks Bob

P.S. Sorry for the ramble.....

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing to SRT.....put it all out there.....it is SO tiring of this piece meal advertising and information. You have all the options out there but no pictures. I have not seen all the colors on a car or interior or stripes. It is almost October and ordering is starting in November so how do you order a car with options or colors or interiors or combinations sight unseen. I am not being negative but it seems forever since I saw the car at VOI and in New York in April. The staged presentation seems really disorganized.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Convertibles price is?.......................................crickets..............................................crickets...................................... Fingers crossed at those price points in the economy we are still in... I hope they sell the heck out of it and fire up the Vert production! I hate to see the car go away again....

If they're smart and have learned from previous mistakes with previous Verts...They would address the roll bar issue for race track usage or at least make a detachable hard-top that can be folded and stored in your trunk instead of being left home in the garage on a rainy day...I would love a new Vert in the base SRT model, but judging from the pricing of a base SRT ; I figure a base model SRT Vert will probably cost me about 120k-ish ( of course..not including delivery fees and gas guzzler tax :rolleyes: )...So there's no way I can afford one anytime soon unless I hit the PowerBall Jackpot!!...I shudder to think what the Vert pricing will be on GTS or ACR Models so I won't even go there..But Hey!..A guy can still dream...;)

Last edited:

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One more thing to SRT.....put it all out there.....it is SO tiring of this piece meal advertising and information. You have all the options out there but no pictures. I have not seen all the colors on a car or interior or stripes. It is almost October and ordering is starting in November so how do you order a car with options or colors or interiors or combinations sight unseen. I am not being negative but it seems forever since I saw the car at VOI and in New York in April. The staged presentation seems really disorganized.

I'm with you. I don't really get this releasing of tid bits at a time. It would be nice to BUILD AND PRICE a viper from the drivesrt website.

Heck I just want to know how much the track package will cost. Maybe striping options as well.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not it you analyze the order form and realize all that is included. But don't forget they gave us ********* owners the base car below 100K, add the track pack (including the black wheels most of us would want anyway, the upgraded leather option and we're pretty much got the Viper we're used to. Now if only they would offer an ACR aero package we could really roll with the base model.

Where is this order form posted, I would like to see the differences in detail.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

Keep in mind that the delivery charge being charged even if one picks up from the factory is due to administrative BS rather than any justifiable business reason. If the delivery charge is an actual expense and not a profitmaker, it seems that if someone offered to pay $250 if they could just pick it up outside the factory that it would actually be better for the company than delivering and incurring the delivery charges.

If you had a car I was going to buy, and it would cost you $500 to ship to me, but I said "Hey Bill, I'll just come out and get it myself for $100", you'd say "Hell yeah, more stripper $ for me!"

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, just saw that in another thread, that should be linked on the front page on this website!

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm quite disappointed with the GTS pricing. I hope it works out for SRT, but I don't think it will. Once the newness fades I predict there will be a lot of heavily discounted GTSs on dealer lots, especially at 2000 per year. The only way I don't forsee this is if the majority of dealer orders are base SRTs. You aren't going to steal any Porsche owners with a $140k Viper. Not now, not ever. Hopefully I am wrong.

While I am not surprised at the price range for the GTS, I must say it really does present something of a dilemma to prospective customers. You are now squarely in the range of slightly-used exotics (that are, granted, out of factory warranty). For 140k you are squarely in used F430, Gallardo Superleggera, and 911 GT2 / GT3 RS territory. The former two models carrying IMO, a bit more cachet than a Viper. I don't say that to be offensive, but in trying to move upmarket, SRT not only faces challenges from upcoming models such as the new 911 variants, the C7 ZR1, etc., but also from the used exotic market-place.

That said, I think SRT did a great job on pricing the new SRT model well below the ZR-1.

Last edited:

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
love the new viper look ive had 5 vipers last was the 08 .at 140k for a loaded one thats a used f430 spider or a murci.im in the market for a car soon and was leaning on a murci roadster,imo the viper i would not pay more than 100k

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez guys, come off the delivery charge...the car is obviously not that profitable to build or they wouldn't have quit building it in the first place. Lets buck up for a 2% profit...besides, someone has to peel the plastic off the carpets, clean the car, check the oil etc. even at the factory. You want an immaculate car when you see it for the first time don't you? ;)

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez guys, come off the delivery charge...the car is obviously not that profitable to build or they wouldn't have quit building it in the first place. Lets buck up for a 2% profit...besides, someone has to peel the plastic off the carpets, clean the car, check the oil etc. even at the factory. You want an immaculate car when you see it for the first time don't you? ;)

I do hope they don't charge for 'delivery' if you take possession at the factory. I'd be okay with a different charge, but IMO, it should be less... I live only 3 hours away, so paying to have it shipped makes no sense. Plus, it would be cool to see the car get assembled...

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If new cars were competing with used cars, there wouldn't be any new cars ...just sayin.

New cars DO compete with used cars... people who go new do so for a variety of reasons, I'm sure, but they do need to be sufficiently compelling. I guess all I'm saying is that @ 140k my decision around whether to pull the trigger now include a whole host of options that aren't really there at the 100k base price.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New cars DO compete with used cars... people who go new do so for a variety of reasons, I'm sure, but they do need to be sufficiently compelling. I guess all I'm saying is that @ 140k my decision around whether to pull the trigger now include a whole host of options that aren't really there at the 100k base price.

I agree completely. In fact, I'm looking at a low mileage LP560-4 on it thats will only be about 10K more and it stickered for 250K.
First owner took the depreciation hit.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

I actually prefer to do all that myself. Plus, it ensures that my new car has about 4-6 miles on it when delivered. Not the 20 or 30 miles I see put on by some lot jockey at a dealership.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Ralph and co. are taking a risk here with the pricing. You figure the base model with a few of the most desirable options ( track pack, etc.) will raise the price to beyond $110,000 and the GTS well beyond $130,000. Ralph's stated objective is to maintain loyalty with the die hards (which he seems to have accomplished.) However the other half of the objective is to attract new customers, who might normally be looking at Porcshes, ZR1s, Audi, BMW... I suppose this crowd may be more interested in the GTS in which case it needs to be rock solid in terms of fit and finish, with the kind of driver connection and chassis/steering wheel feed back that makes these cars special. I'm hoping SRT hits it out of the park.

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely. In fact, I'm looking at a low mileage LP560-4 on it thats will only be about 10K more and it stickered for 250K.
First owner took the depreciation hit.

We are definitely thinking along the same lines... Been looking for a 08' superleggera in black. If you do get the G-car, definitely post pics!

garetjax1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Ralph and co. are taking a risk here with the pricing. You figure the base model with a few of the most desirable options ( track pack, etc.) will raise the price to beyond $110,000 and the GTS well beyond $130,000. Ralph's stated objective is to maintain loyalty with the die hards (which he seems to have accomplished.) However the other half of the objective is to attract new customers, who might normally be looking at Porcshes, ZR1s, Audi, BMW... I suppose this crowd may be more interested in the GTS in which case it needs to be rock solid in terms of fit and finish, with the kind of driver connection and chassis/steering wheel feed back that makes these cars special. I'm hoping SRT hits it out of the park.

It's funny but as a former porsche guy (as in I don't think I'll be buying any more of them, not that I no longer love them), I have a high degree of confidence in Ralph & co. in pulling off the execution of both SRT and GTS models. Will there be set-backs, recalls, TSBs, yeah, but that is to be expected for new models, and I'm sure the majority of kinks will be worked out in the first few years. I think the GTS represents great value, even at 140k. I'm just not sure it will have sufficient pull, at that price point, from other options - i.e. perceived value vs actual value for prospective owners. My other big concern is whether the ownership experience post-sale will live up to the same level of passion that brought this car to life. After having owned three jeeps, I can't say that my confidence is high in that regard.

Last edited:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If new cars were competing with used cars, there wouldn't be any new cars ...just sayin.

Used vehicles absolutely compete with new cars. It would be ignorant for any manufacturer to think otherwise. Used Gallardos are high on most people's list that can spend $150k on a car. I honestly think this is what will ultimately hurt the Viper GTS.

Poor Richard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Base price..list price...call it what you want as long as theres enough fat to discount the snake...over $100,000.00 is to much

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456