Clear Bra

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have one? Like it? Worth it?

(ASIDE, I searched on here and found that if you put in "bra" you get a bunch of middle-aged car freaks posting soft **** of women and cars.....:omg:)

Reaction score
Depends on the color and the use of the car. Some colors (darker) I think it is too visible and detracts from the car. Might protect it but at the expense of looking bad. I say run it and re paint it every couple years top keep it fresh looking. Clear bra cost about the same as paint IMHO.

Now a car that uses sticky tires and is at the track a lot that may be a different story.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the clear bra on my ACR. This is my third Viper and I would do it all over from the start on each one if they were new after seeing what happens over time without it. I have had fascias repainted and no repaint is perfect. To me it is worth the cost not to deal with the slow damage which will come over time if you drive your car. At the very least consider the high damage zones such as the sills and behind the wheels where it gets the most abuse.

OP
OP
A

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking just the front, on my orange copperhead. Do they make a decent-looking leather/fabric ones for the Viper?

What do these run? I see some places running $275, but for passenger cars.

Thanks.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the 3M done to my black '08. I love it!
I had the front (apx) 1/3 of the car done, as well as the painted surfaces in the wheel wells, the front of the mirror housings, and the push down door handles. about $1000- for all but well worth it as I track my car and drive at high speeds and repainting all that would run at least that much and would look like crap in between times.

Reaction score
I've done the last three (3) cars with 3M ClearBra, including my yellow viper, well worth it, and spent probably $1000-1500 for each car.

Do not even think of using a "material" bra on the front, it looks ridiculous, its clear or nothing for me.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had Venture Shield installed on my '09 (solid red) and it looks great. The key is to find someone who knows how to hide the lines and knows what they are doing. I've seen some real poor installs. I went with Venture Shield instead of 3M because my installer said the 3M glue has a tendency to yellow over time. But he also said it depends on the color of the car as to how noticeable the yellowing is. Also, he said the Venture Shield adhesive is easier to remove if you need to.
Terry

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I did the full hood, both fenders, front facia, and rockers on my Copperhead looks great and well worth it esp. if you track the car.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned dark colored cars without it. Will never have another sports car that does not have it. There is nothing worse than chipped paint and if you drive the car regularly it will save you alot of aggravation.

OP
OP
A

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait a minute Dave, Bridgewater? Who does your work? I live in Basking Ridge. Surprised I haven't seen your Copperhead around?

Black Mamba 47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had stone gaurd (3M) on one viper (sold) and clear bra on the Black Mamba.
I would definatly do clear bra again. I think it looks better than paint chips on a black car. MHO

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the color and the use of the car. Some colors (darker) I think it is too visible and detracts from the car. Might protect it but at the expense of looking bad. I say run it and re paint it every couple years top keep it fresh looking. Clear bra cost about the same as paint IMHO.

Now a car that uses sticky tires and is at the track a lot that may be a different story.

Rarely disagree with MJ, but do here. repaint means you are living with chips and that when it gets bad enough you repaint. Repaints potentially reduce value of car and can be seen by a lot of dealers on trade in.

I have 3M on Vipers, CTS-V and wife's Escalade (that was a job!) We routinely drive the cars 80 miles each way to a Summer home--the 3M cars look great, the kids' cars , truck and daily drivers look awful.

I would never have a car without it etc

Reaction score
Rarely disagree with MJ, but do here. repaint means you are living with chips and that when it gets bad enough you repaint. Repaints potentially reduce value of car and can be seen by a lot of dealers on trade in.

I have 3M on Vipers, CTS-V and wife's Escalade (that was a job!) We routinely drive the cars 80 miles each way to a Summer home--the 3M cars look great, the kids' cars , truck and daily drivers look awful.

I must agree, I have five cars, four with ClearBra, one without, the four with look much better.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done the last three cars with ClearBra, my viper,CLS and BMW 353 well worth it every dollar spent. Please keep in mind installers use different materials. It is a great piece of mind while driving.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you as well. Not only because I am an installer but mainly do to repainting issues. I have numerous clients that have had problems getting paint to match up to the original paint job. I can tell you that it is very difficult to do with some of the colors they are coming out with now. I saw an 08 black/red stripe ACR that had 3 shades of black on the same car... and that is from the factory. In the sun you could tell the mirror, door, and fender all had different shades of black. One of my clients hadd a SSG that has to get a scratch fixed on the hood. The were not able to blend and had to repaint the entire hood. Unfortunately they could never match the SSG so the hood was a little off from the rest of the car.

So long story short I beleive it is much better to prevent damage to the paint then to wait and go through the hassle of a repaint. You will save yourself money, time, and a lot of headache in the long run. Besides who wants to look at a beautiful car thats all chipped up??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you as well. Not only because I am an installer but aminly do to repainting issues. I have numerous clients that have had problems getting paint to match up to the original paint job. I can tell you that it si very difficult to do with some of the colors they are com,ing out with now. I saw an 08 black/red stripe ACR that had 3 shades of black on the same car... and that is from the factory. In the sun you could tell the mirror, door, and fender all had different shades of black. One of my clients hadd a SSG that has to get a scratch fixed on the hood. The were not able to blend and had to repaint the entire hood. Unfortunately they could never match the SSG so the hood was a little off from the rest of the car.

So long story short I beleive it is much better to prevent damage to the paint then to wait and go through the hassle of a repaint. You will save yourself money, time, and a lot of headache in the long run. Besides who wants to look at a beautiful car thats all chipped up??? :rolleyes:

If you're in the DFW area PM me your contact info, for next time.

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '08 is GTS blue and I have the 3M material. I wouldn't want the car to be without it. Good investment, IMO.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have one? Like it? Worth it?

(ASIDE, I searched on here and found that if you put in "bra" you get a bunch of middle-aged car freaks posting soft **** of women and cars.....:omg:)

Andrew, don't hesitate for a second with Venture Shield (3M and VS are the same company, but the 3M application glue is a bit more difficult to remove over time). Here's Nelson's website. He's done MANY Vipers, is in your area and is a very easy guy to deal with. If you mention the VCA, he'll give you a very fair price.

Index

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking what are they charging you?.....i got a price of $750.00 and thought it was high?

$750 is a good price for a standard install... partial hood, partial fenders, bumper, lights, and mirrors. As long as its a good install and you are getting good film. I would definately add on a set of rocker panels as well. After being a Viper owner, and having installed film on well over 100+ Vipers, I can tell you the rocker panels get blasted very quickly. IMHO its a must if you are going to own the car.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two advantages I've found with the clear bra (mines Venture Shield) is how easy it is to clean bugs off the front of the car and the added protection the clear bra gives you when those pesky cones jump out in front of you while autocrossing:)

Black streaks and marks come right off.

Cheers,
George