Exhaust Flames

Matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper throw at every shift, between the first and the second gear, between the second and the third gear etc... flames out of the exhaust. Did your mambas do the same with a corsa exhaust?

Fabian

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it should not, at least in stock tune, so i would get it to your dealer and have them do a diagnostic scan to see whats going on before you do some real damage.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you must have removed the cats(unburned fuel being dumped into the exhaust). if you have not done it yet get the DC performance pcm flash

OP
OP
M

Matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 High flow cats here in my garage, but not installed yet. I still drive with the k&N´s and corsa 2,5" exhaust without the crossover pipes. At this moment I´ve called my chrysler dealer and he mean, if there is any mistake in the injection system, the check control light will go on! what do you guys mean.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old time hot rodders (like my Dad) rig spark plugs in the exhaust to get flames - real flames though and just a momentary one. One of these days I might have to get my Dad to help me do it to the Viper.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am told that mine shoots nice flames out during hard shifts. The key is no cats. Melts the paint on my side splitters though.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am told that mine shoots nice flames out during hard shifts. The key is no cats. Melts the paint on my side splitters though.

You need to adjust your exhaust then. Mine shoots flames and has NO cats. 8K miles and no burnt sills.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this issue with corsa track, high flow cats, and headers.

I know I've raised this question before, but it's still unclear to me. I too have a Corsa track exhaust, but the front part of the side sill continues to be hot. Now my question.............Can I remove the cats beneath the side sill and not throw a code or have to use O2 sims???

It's my understanding that the O2 sensors lie just behind the front cats, so anything following that is fair game to remove.

TRUE????

Don

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this issue with corsa track, high flow cats, and headers.

I know I've raised this question before, but it's still unclear to me. I too have a Corsa track exhaust, but the front part of the side sill continues to be hot. Now my question.............Can I remove the cats beneath the side sill and not throw a code or have to use O2 sims???

It's my understanding that the O2 sensors lie just behind the front cats, so anything following that is fair game to remove.

TRUE????

Don

IT'S TRUE!!!!!

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine barks quite a bit between shifts, but it is hard to hang my head out window while driving! I have Hi flo cats, exhaust and DC upgraded module.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
My Viper throw at every shift, between the first and the second gear, between the second and the third gear etc... flames out of the exhaust. Did your mambas do the same with a corsa exhaust?

Fabian

Exhaust flames!?!?!? Tell me what you are doing wrong so I CAN DO IT TOO!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old time hot rodders (like my Dad) rig spark plugs in the exhaust to get flames - real flames though and just a momentary one. One of these days I might have to get my Dad to help me do it to the Viper.

:2tu: Ah.....The good old days. I remember doing that along with smoke screens too.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we originally put the 3" Random Tech cats and the Corsa track on MikeR's car, at higher RPMs it would put out about a foot long flame.....more like a propane torch kind of flame. It was cool.

Now that the cats are gone it shoots fire balls between the shifts. Also cool...I think mine does it too.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem you have is simple. Your running to rich. For those of you that want flames... well... yeah you could buy a vec3 and put in a bad tune.

OP
OP
M

Matrix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok and what after paxton installation? is the paxton controller going to change the fuel richment? What happens if the car is running too rich? Does it cost HP?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I get my exhaust work done (headers, no cats, no muffler), I'll get someone to follow me at night and record the flames and upload it :)

I didn;t know you were deaf or planning on being deaf very soon...

Thats the setup I'm gonna start with. I'm gonna drive it and make any necessary changes to make the sound better, less deafning, etc :)

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
As soon as I get my exhaust work done (headers, no cats, no muffler), I'll get someone to follow me at night and record the flames and upload it :)

I didn;t know you were deaf or planning on being deaf very soon...

Thats the setup I'm gonna start with. I'm gonna drive it and make any necessary changes to make the sound better, less deafning, etc :)

I had no cats, and 3" straight through DYNOMAX mufflers on my RT/10... it was very, very loud!

I really don't think I could have driven it without the mufflers...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and have some mufflers ready---especially if this car is your DD. If you don't, then two things will happen. First, as soon as you experience the deafening roar of headers with straight side pipes, you will make a mad dash to your computer to see what mufflers are appropriate and available and in the end you will spend too much buying them from someone who has them in stock and even more to ship them express. Second, the three days or so from when you install your straight pipes to when you get in the mufflers and get them installed will be the longest three days of your life. You won't want to drive the car and when you do drive it you will be embarrassed and your ears will ring afterwards for hours.

I put a Mopar Race exhaust on my SRT-10. Stock manifolds, 3", no cat, borla mufflers---WAY quieter than what you are doing and it was still beyond loud. I put in a set of cones and that made it liveable, but I am still considering building a new setup that will be even lighter and quieter without robbing hp.

Remember, side pipes are at least twice as loud as rear exits to the driver. I'm assuming you are running side pipes, but either way what you are talking about is going to bring the ****.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and have some mufflers ready---especially if this car is your DD. If you don't, then two things will happen. First, as soon as you experience the deafening roar of headers with straight side pipes, you will make a mad dash to your computer to see what mufflers are appropriate and available and in the end you will spend too much buying them from someone who has them in stock and even more to ship them express. Second, the three days or so from when you install your straight pipes to when you get in the mufflers and get them installed will be the longest three days of your life. You won't want to drive the car and when you do drive it you will be embarrassed and your ears will ring afterwards for hours.

I put a Mopar Race exhaust on my SRT-10. Stock manifolds, 3", no cat, borla mufflers---WAY quieter than what you are doing and it was still beyond loud. I put in a set of cones and that made it liveable, but I am still considering building a new setup that will be even lighter and quieter without robbing hp.

Remember, side pipes are at least twice as loud as rear exits to the driver. I'm assuming you are running side pipes, but either way what you are talking about is going to bring the ****.

Ditto Kenny...

If you want to reduce the insane loudness, install a 3" straight through, footlong muffler that fits perfectly where the 2nd cat used to go. No restriction at all, and it does quiet the car to within tolerable limits.

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
..... to pick up on this old(er) thread here,
did the majority that have encountered flames had their Kats removed ? I have the Corsa track but WITH Kats and I believe only one more Owner had the same set up and reported seeing flames ?! Haven't noticed flames on mine but I guess I'll have to get the wife to 'follow' and report back :D

BTW Chad, did you ever to the exhaust set-up you mentioned earlier ?! :omg: