Gallardo vs. Ford GT

bdherh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to add a car to my 2008 Coupe, and am floundering between a Gallardo and Ford GT. Looking at a 2008 Gallardo and 2006 Ford GT are about the same price, but if someone here who has owned either can give me some feedback, I would really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the Ford for collectability and resale, but the Gallardo is very nice as well.

Thanks

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which car is more expensive to maintain, get parts for etc...??....Doesn't sound like that's a concern judging by the cars you're looking at tho :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FGT > G but you cant go wrong with either. parts and labor are much better on the FGT. its still american muscle

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy an older g and tt it. Find one with a clutch gone as you will replace it anyway.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Both are great cars, I am biased as I have an 05 Ford GT White with Blue stripes. The car is the best American car I have ever driven, very smooth and stable, amazing engine. Definitely the best AC in any of my cars, you an hang meat in there, this is important in Florida. When you drive it or go to a show, it gets a lot of attention. Seems like the prices are starting to creep back up now too. If you are tall, above 6.2, you need to sit and drive one. I am right at 6 ft, at the track with a helmet on I have to lean the seat back a bit not the best racing position. I am not going to race it on the track anymore, since they only made about 3000 cars over 2 years, and I think 800+ were exports, it is little too rare to track hard. Plus my ACR is my track car, it is the best car I have ever driven on a track. You may want to go to: The Ford GT Forum There is a lot of info there, of course all biased though. Good luck, both are great.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering both as well and ended up with the Gallardo... Even though the Ford GT is faster and holds it's value better, I kept going back to the Lambo for the looks, sound and big power potential of the AWD and twin turbo....

the 2006-2008 Gallardos are the same mechanically, so compare the 2006 Ford GT vs the 2006 Gallardo price wise, the Gallardo will be about $30k cheaper....

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06.

Best handling car I have ever driven (but I have never owned a Lambo) Sports Car Market Mag gives it an A investment rating and I can tell you from buying a low mileage 06 after MUCH looking they hold their price.

Last edited:

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love em both but for value, collectability, rarity and just plain being cool, I would go with the GT. No question. I've driven them both.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this even a comparison..

the lambo G was the most underwhelming supercar ive ever seen..

I was in VA 2 years ago and saw my first ever gallardo. It was blue. The desighn is just OK and the only thing really worth talking about was the rims..

Then the lil engine that would have it's hands full with a 2002 acr..

Well I just dont get it..Even the interior was just OK and I liked the audi r8's interior a lil better than the G when I saw them side by side at a dealership...

F430 and now you have a competition..

I dont think I even need to say anything about the FGT...But just in case I will...An all black FGT with no stripes is simply one of the most beautiful cars ever made...

Look for the movie..

"CRAZY ON THE OUTSIDE"

A black fgt GETS A lot OF TIME IN THIS MOVIE ..After seeing it you wont even ask this question

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you already have the viper - American supercar - why not go something thats euro & different i.e 911 GT3 or a Scud or the G

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is something cool in having the American sports muscle cars....for me the ultimate trifecta would be owning a Viper, Ford GT and ZR1. Then once those three are in the stable, I'd look at other rides like the G's, 430, R8, 911, etc.

I do business with people from Europe, Australia, UK and Taiwan. When they come to visit, I'm astounded at how awestruck they are when they see my Viper and or H1. They take so many photos and videos of them that at first I was puzzled. When I ask them to really tell me what they like about these cars, they all come back with similar answers "real American power", "my dream car/truck", "I've never seen one in person", etc. I think we take for granted what we actually produce in the USA and often times think the grass is greener overseas.

On Autotrader there are about 45 Ford GT's and about 150 Gallardos listed. Because of the GT40's racing history, I think the FGT will always have a strong following with minimal financial depreciation. I can identify a Ford GT from 500 yards away....the Lambo's get a little confusing from a distance as to whether it is a G, Diablo, etc to the untrained eye.

But really, do you think you'd actually be hating life with any of those beasts in your garage?? Life is good when your struggling with serious issues like "do I buy a Gallardo or Ford GT?" I don't think there is a downside to either choice.

Cheers,
George

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT for several reasons... They aren't making any more is the obvious one. More importantly is what the car represents... It's a well executed tribute to american racing heritage as in... it stomped Enzo in his prime.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My two cents!

I owned a 2006 FGT for three years and still kick myself for selling it, the car I bought to replace it was a 2008 LP640 Murci roadster! Without a doubt the most traffic stopping jaw dropping car I've ever owned but I did not like the car in general so I sold it. I have friends who have G car's and love them but they are very costly to maintain and like my Murci they drop like the Titanic.

When I sold the Murci I wanted the new GT3RS but was unable to get one so I settled for a 2008 GT3 I found in Cali with only 200 miles so I bought it. That car was the nicest car I have ever owned which includes numerous Viper's, the FGT, the Murci and plenty of other's! Then two weeks ago I hear that Porsche released the 2011 GT3RS's and I found one at Herb Chambers in MA. Two days later the car was in my driveway, Chad (V10speedluvr) posted some pictures of the RS in the Driven section under Comp Coupe's new ride. What I'm saying is buy the FGT or a Porsche, nix the Lambo!!! Just my .02!!! Good luck!:2tu:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your interested i own a FGT 05 with 2K miles. I do not have time to enjoy so i have offered her up for sale. $ 158,950 if your interested. Located in South Central Pennsylvania

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got from FL, was on vacation and actually saw both cars in the week I was there. Without question the FGT is a better looking car, when the FGT drove by the whole world slowed to a crawl it was slow motion as it went by...

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the same price you could buy an earlier Lamborghini Diablo or Murcielago which in my opinion is obviously much better then the Gallardo. That Ford GT in the video clip does look nice though...

To each his own I guess.. either car in reality is nice. If you got the Gallardo, I'd go for the Superleggera.

Last edited:

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hands down Ford GT....lots of lambo's out there and the chance to own one will always be there....same can't be said for the Ford....

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was following a Gallardo today. Love the rear end but the front and side profile is a little bit generic. I go nutso for FGT.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the Ford GT. I love mine, and it's a great platform for future mods. Pulley and tune equals about 600+rwhp for about 2K.