how can any viper owner like Connoly Leather?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya'll all sound like a bunch a women ******** and sniping at eachother, geez! To each his own!

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

To answer your question, the Gen I viper Tan is a lighter more brown than the red / orangy color of your interior. I actually prefer the color of the later connelly interior that is in your viper over the old color. I think the leather in the new ones is a better quality as well.

I sent you a PM with the info as well.

Ed

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have to admit that I was not a fan of that color for an interior while looking at the different vipers but now I would not pass on a blue/green/black one with the Connoly interior. would some of you post up some pictures if you have time. can't picture the red with that interior. I think the other 3 colors would be stunning with that interior

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya'll all sound like a bunch a women ******** and sniping at eachother, geez! To each his own!

Methinks this sounds sexist...PERMA-BAN!

And don't you mean 'to each HER own'? We are all ladies here, good sir...

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously...each to his own but the only interior color should be black IMHO. That color does not belong in a viper-ever..looks like someone literally threw up inside.
Anyone else agree? disagree? why or why not.
I would pay alot more money to not have that color interior.I just cannot understand it.:dunno::crazy2:

"TAN" is a great color for a woman's car!!!
:2tu::lmao::usa:

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen several color combo's mentioned with the Connolly interior, except mine. I have a '99 Silver GTS with the Connolly option. To me, the Silver color against the Cognac Connolly/black interior color is a very nice contrast. I've gotten ALOT of compliments at car shows about the Connolly specifically. One thing I've noticed is also how much softer this leather is versus the Black. And also how even after 9 years and 73K miles the Leather smell is as if it's brand new. I haven't noticed this with other Vipers I've been in.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the interior color with Black and Sapphire exterior colors. In my opinion, it make the car feel like it is a little higher quality. It is different from most of the GEN II interiors. The leather feels better. The color reminds me of a baseball glove. It just seems like a very natural color for a fine leather.

You must be registered for see images

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen several color combo's mentioned with the Connolly interior, except mine. I have a '99 Silver GTS with the Connolly option. To me, the Silver color against the Cognac Connolly/black interior color is a very nice contrast. I've gotten ALOT of compliments at car shows about the Connolly specifically. One thing I've noticed is also how much softer this leather is versus the Black. And also how even after 9 years and 73K miles the Leather smell is as if it's brand new. I haven't noticed this with other Vipers I've been in.

i think you are right, and these colors DO look great together! a very rare color combination and most people will never get to see it in person.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The leather feels better. The color reminds me of a baseball glove. It just seems like a very natural color for a fine leather.

beat me to the punch :mad: - agree, tactilely superior...the clear choice of all blind Viper owners :omg:

nice pics

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Connely. My 02 Graphite GTS w/Connely was 1 of 30 made, stunning combo! I now have an 01 Red RT/10 w/Connely and still love the combo. IMHO looks very classy and it certainly isn't cheapo grain leather.

BTW-I've seen plenty of Ferrari's and Porsches with a similar Connely interior finish, apparently there is a large following. =)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO looks very classy and it certainly isn't cheapo grain leather.

BTW-I've seen plenty of Ferrari's and Porsches with a similar Connely interior finish, apparently there is a large following. =)

Connolly Leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Connolly Leather was for over 125 years, a British company supplying highly finished leather primarily to car manufacturers. The term is also used to describe the particular brand of leather itself, when fitted in a car interior.

Typical applications included the top-of-the-range models of Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar and also non-British makes including Lexus and Ferrari. This leather was also used for the seats in the Supermarine Spitfires used in World War 2.

In addition to car upholstery, Connolly Leather has been used in the manufacture of high-end audio loudspeakers such as the B&W Signature 800 series as an expression of the quality and luxury status of the item. Connolly Leather was also used in other products: even "retro" transistor radios from British manufacturer Roberts.

The company also sold leather-care products; restoring leather is sometimes known as "Connollising", thanks to the reputation of the company.

Having been in the leather tanning and curing business since 1878, Connolly Leather ceased trading in June 2002.

now even rarer interior, for what it's worth :dunno:

:usa: carry on :2tu: :usa:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow awsome Viper:2tu:great shot of your car too

I like the interior color with Black and Sapphire exterior colors. In my opinion, it make the car feel like it is a little higher quality. It is different from most of the GEN II interiors. The leather feels better. The color reminds me of a baseball glove. It just seems like a very natural color for a fine leather.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow that interior looks amazing. gotta rethink my choices now. thanks.

was not sure about how this thread started out but a lot of good info here

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........................I HAVE Connely Leather and I don't particularly care for it..............I've already started collecting parts to replace it with black - steering wheel and gearshift knob. Jeff ....

If you are serious.....Id be willing to wager that SOMEONE here would gladly trade you their BLACK INTERIOR for your Cognac Connelly leather interior.......

PS: In the history of the Viper, several options cost Dodge MORE to supply than they charged for it on the Monroni....... GEN II Cognac Connelly Leather is one of them....1st offered in 1999.....The package included carpet, knee-panels, seats, door panels, console, steering wheel, Shift Knob, ebrake handle and boot. Lottsa Expensive Leather!

The TAN leathers of Gen 1 were not a Connelly product.

The color is COGNAC.....and it reminds me of a well-played basketball.... I like it.
PS: That pretty photo just above, belly-panned into a BED of DRY LEAVES? Hope you have a fire extinguisher nearby! [When the whole car is charred brown, it's NOT as purdy.....]

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously...each to his own but the only interior color should be black IMHO

I've seen it in lighter color Vipers and I did not think much of it. However, on a darker color car it really adds to the beauty. I've had many people who were initially attracted by the dozens of coats of Zaino shine on my car come over to look at it. When they noticed the interior most of them commented that they had never seen a nice leather interior like my Cognac leather.

BTW, is the black interior even leather? I heard it was a vinyl.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: how can any viper owner like Connelly Leather?

Thanks for the compliments on the car and the pictures.

Thanks also for the concern about the fire hazard. No need to be worried though. That picture was taken years ago and I am happy to say the car is not in ashes. Still runs fine.

Addressing another comment from earlier in the thread... Viper's are gorgous cars and the visual impact of the car certainly is a key reason why I like it. However, even though I am not blind, when I said that the leather feels better, I do think that is an important aspect. Additionally I like the smell of the interior. I also like to feel the acceleration (positive or negative). I like to feel the g's while going around a corner. I like to hear the exhaust, both idling at a stop light and running it through the gears near red line. I can't say I have tried tasting anything on the car, but pleasing four out of five senses is pretty good!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon:
Are you saying that the Connolly option has more interior trim parts made of leather than the "regular" black interior?
As for Connolly leather being very expensive, yes and no, back in 2002 I bought a full hide of Autolux leather ( Autolux being the best grade they offered) for my Jaguar for only $350
A full hide is more than enough for both seats, steering wheel, e-brake, etc on the Viper
BTW, while it's true that Connolly ceased operation in June 2002, you can still get brand new Connolly leather since one of the Connolly ( Jonathan) is continuing the tradition of making and supplying fine leather

luc 00GTS

If you are serious.....Id be willing to wager that SOMEONE here would gladly trade you their BLACK INTERIOR for your Cognac Connelly leather interior.......

PS: In the history of the Viper, several options cost Dodge MORE to supply than they charged for it on the Monroni....... GEN II Cognac Connelly Leather is one of them....1st offered in 1999.....The package included carpet, knee-panels, seats, door panels, console, steering wheel, Shift Knob, ebrake handle and boot. Lottsa Expensive Leather!

The TAN leathers of Gen 1 were not a Connelly product.

The color is COGNAC.....and it reminds me of a well-played basketball.... I like it.
PS: That pretty photo just above, belly-panned into a BED of DRY LEAVES? Hope you have a fire extinguisher nearby! [When the whole car is charred brown, it's NOT as purdy.....]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon:
Are you saying that the Connolly option has more interior trim parts made of leather than the "regular" black interior?
As for Connolly leather being very expensive, yes and no, back in 2002 I bought a full hide of Autolux leather ( Autolux being the best grade they offered) for my Jaguar for only $350. A full hide is more than enough for both seats, steering wheel, e-brake, etc on the Viper.......

No, Im not....In fact the reverse is true as far as COLOR: a BLACK car has more BLACK parts than a COGNAC car has COGNAC parts.......but AM saying that you got a LOT of true, fitted Connolly leather for little $.... not just a hide!!!

I visited the Jaguar factory in Coventry, and the Lotus factory in Hethel...the aroma of the leather shops is one I will NEVER, EVER forget.......

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was shopping for a Viper I had the opportunity to pick up a Black GTS with the Connelly interior at a great price. I just couldn't pull the trigger. It just doesn't "do it" for me. To each his own.:)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously...each to his own but the only interior color should be black IMHO. That color does not belong in a viper-ever..looks like someone literally threw up inside.

Anyone else agree? disagree? why or why not.

I would pay alot more money to not have that color interior.I just cannot understand it.:dunno::crazy2:
I agree with you 100% but this is why they make both salt and pepper. Some people just have different taste. That said, despite the fact we think it is ugly we need to respect other peoples choices.:dunno:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the connolly. It really looks good on some Vipers and in fact is growing on me. But for myself I still prefer the black.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the connolly. It really looks good on some Vipers and in fact is growing on me. But for myself I still prefer the black.

I have to agree, I hated it at first but the more black/connely and red/connely cars I see the more I am starting to like it. But like you said, my interiors in all of my cars will always be black.

When we bought our 335i I really liked the red/black interior with the space gray paint but the wife insisted on black and now I am glad she did.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like to compare it to Peanut Butter or Marmite (yeast exctract), Some people love it, some hate it!

The first Viper GTS I looked at in the UK was Black/silver stripes and Connolly interior, Probably would not have been my first choice interior colour, but even Black can be a bit boring after a while :)

:uk:

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Connelly looks especially good in an emerald green Viper. If anyone has a pic they should post it.