I just saw this on Autoblog. Viper gets the Axe

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused.

Let's say they sell 1500 2008 Vipers at $90K each.

That's 135 million dollars in sales. Not profit, but dealer sales.

So how in the world can they save "hundreds of millions" of dollars by not making the car anymore unless the Viper is a money pit?

Which in that case who could blame DC for canning it.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Bäh.
:crazy2:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper Cancellation officially confirmed 3/31

...yeah but the only problem with that story is that the news was leaked from Bear Stearns...last I checked they weren't up there when it comes to credibility.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow....wonder if this will start up more discussions here then the ZO6 vs Viper, race, politics, and $exy pics threads. :eater:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It's with a heavy heart that I post this:

Autoline on Autoblog with John McElroy - Autoblog

It still says it is possible to save the Viper if there is a big enough outcry.

Hopefully there is a way to affect their decision.

Repost and secondly, there is nothing offiical about it until its posted by Chrsyler or Cerebus. Though it could end up being true, your just adding to the rumor mill....:rolleyes:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Analysts forming statements they WANT to be true because it makes them feel important and famous even if it is completely unofficial BS... heresay AGAIN!

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IS'S official! The Traverse City Retched Eagle just announced the Dodge Viper will continue production for another 10 years. Since you read it here, it must be fact! Now stop your negative blogs until it is official from the manufacturer, not from a reporter! See how easy it is to start trouble.:curse:
Viper Forever!:D

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IS'S official! The Traverse City Retched Eagle just announced the Dodge Viper will continue production for another 10 years. Since you read it here, it must be fact! Now stop your negative blogs until it is official from the manufacturer, not from a reporter! See how easy it is to start trouble.:curse:
Viper Forever!:D

+1

Flash

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate rumors, It seems thats how the stock market exists. Buy on rumors, sell on facts.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is the end of the Viper good news or bad news for Viper owners? This is going to make Viper owners a little more exclusive. How many times can a Viper be reborn, most on this forum think the Corvette has become boring. There seems to be enough Vipers out there to keep the name alive for the foreseeable future.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The Viper was also Rumor-axed for 1996 when MACK was scheduled to be closed in 95.
The rumors of "This is IT" were even around at VOI-1 in 1994.... it was thought by some to be
a farewell event and goodbye to Viper. There was no internet then...we called each other on $1.00/minute cellphones that weighed 5 lbs to lament the imminent loss and congratulate oureselvs that at least WE had one !

SO once again, its OFFICIAL: ORDER YOUR 08/09 NOW while you still can. SCREW 2010 and the extra 15HP. BUY NOW. DEMAND = SUPPLY. DEMAND your 09 Viper. GET YOURS NOW, and screw the bloggers and pundits.

Who CARES about 2010-11, Viper was offically cancelled in 1995.......

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It not official until it comes from Cerebus and Chyrsler. If it does happen it will really really ****. There is absolutely nothing else out there like the Viper, nothing.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The article say cutting viper would save Chrysler several hundred million dollars??

If "3" is several, then at 1,500 units a year there losing $200K per car?

D

DAMN YANKEE

Again......had to be. It was obvious. Now, IMO, it is very important that if you love your Viper and are expecting to keep it for the duration....get your best add-ons NOW.
10 years from now a disciplined Viper built out to madness will be the icon of the last great party....2000-2008. Think things are expensive now? Just you wait!

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It not official until it comes from Cerebus and Chyrsler. If it does happen it will really really ****. There is absolutely nothing else out there like the Viper, nothing.

Exactly. And you are absolutely correct - there is nothing out there I would want to replace it. Accept no substitute!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper was also Rumor-axed for 1996 when MACK was scheduled to be closed in 95.
The rumors of "This is IT" were even around at VOI-1 in 1994.... it was thought by some to be
a farewell event and goodbye to Viper. There was no internet then...we called each other on $1.00/minute cellphones that weighed 5 lbs to lament the imminent loss and congratulate oureselvs that at least WE had one !

SO once again, its OFFICIAL: ORDER YOUR 08/09 NOW while you still can. SCREW 2010 and the extra 15HP. BUY NOW. DEMAND = SUPPLY. DEMAND your 09 Viper. GET YOURS NOW, and screw the bloggers and pundits.

Who CARES about 2010-11, Viper was offically cancelled in 1995.......

Now we have learned something today--there was no internet in 94. Come on Jon, you and me and the rest of the old timers were on the Viper Board not long after that and the internet had been around for some time--Al Gore invented it years before that.

Seriously, I do think it is over and find it remarkable our dealer buddies are not posting much about it. I wish I still had all 4 of mine instead of just the 06. Look at what cancellation did for the used Ford GT market.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am SOOOO glad I have my '08 already on-order!!!!!

You could wait for more than 600HP -- ain't gonna happen. :nono:

You could wait until next year to buy one at the last minute, and you may find one, but it will be on a lot, with colors and options picked by someone else. :(

I am getting the colors and specs EXACTLY as I have always wanted them ...and it may well be a collector among the last of it's kind. :headbang: And they built so very few of these Vipers ...

I have a restored '67 Mustang Fastback, and this '08 beauty is going right next to it. :2tu: (What I wouldn't give to go back to 1967 to order and spec out a Shelby Mustang exactly the way I would want it ...)

Last edited:
D

DAMN YANKEE

What makes me sick?

No more Viper....but we may still get a Hillary, Obama or McCain...now THAT really is nasty...

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well if you read the article posted in this quarters Viper Magazine you will see where Herb "The Grailkeeper" Helbig gave us this bit of information. He stated that the top of the house (Chrysler Senior Management) recognizes SRT's value and realizes that the magazine coverage the Viper gets can't be bought for any amount of money. Stop worrying!!!

That is directly from the article. It was already stated before that the small number of sales from the Viper will not have any impact to the CAFE allowances so until I hear that it is the end, I will believe that the sky is indeed not falling. No chicken little here.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was always taught that a RUMOR was just that, a RUMOR! Wait and see. No need to shed tears at this point in time.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope that this is not true

Keep the viper!