Impact of 2012 Viper on 2010 Viper sales

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that it appears likely there will be a Gen V Viper, what do you guys think that will do to demand for the 2010 Vipers that are out there.

Its probably to early to tell because we don't know enough about the 2012 yet, but just the fact that theres gonna be one could change peoples thinking.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
americans are impulse buyers for the most---not a problem selling them----

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse Chrysler sent me an email regarding my interest in becoming a Viper owner. The following excerpt may get to show the last 2010 Viper inventory is about to be depleted anyway:

"...we have the largest allocation of 2010s in the Nation. They are going quickly , though, as we only have one Vooodoo left ( we had 8 ) , one 1:33 ( we had 9 ), 1 Final Edition ( we had 6 ) , and 3 of the Viper ACR Convertibles. Only 20 of these cars were ever built by the factory , and they are a Woodhouse Exclusive and so far none have headed to California. We also have a good selection of regular Vipers and 4 of the Snakeskin Green Special Editions."

Chrysler management must've felt it pretty safe to let the word on the Next-Gen Viper out. They shouldn't be so naive as to make such an important and far reaching announcement just to shoot the sale of the current stock in the foot.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that it is a 2013 model year car to be released sometime in the fall of 2012. That is two years away. I think that anyone who decides to wait two years to experience the thrill of Viper ownership has poor judgment. Buy one now. Enjoy the h**l out of it and then, if one wants the new one, just trade it in or buy a second one. There is no way I could do without my Viper for two years. It was only three months between my Gen II and my current Viper and I was crawling up the walls. Just ask my wife. She remembers that time. I think that if I had not gotten the new one, she would have bought one for me just to tranquilize me. LOL.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that it appears likely there will be a Gen V Viper, what do you guys think that will do to demand for the 2010 Vipers that are out there.

Its probably to early to tell because we don't know enough about the 2012 yet, but just the fact that theres gonna be one could change peoples thinking.
Not sure how it appears likely there will be a 2012. I did read the latest article but that seemed to mirror more of what is hoped to happen than what definitely will happen. Soon as I hear it from the owner I'll be on board.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can tell you who will take this the hardest...

prior to the leakage of the 2012/2013 genV i was in a pretty happy place with my gen3...

Sure it was down a 100 HP from the gen4's but is essentially the same exact car visually...

But now if the gen5 emerges with a differant body style. I feel the gen3's will be the hardest hit..

The gen1 rt10's will ALWAYS be sought after by collectors or those who fell in love with the origional viper...

The gen2 GTS is a timeless exterior that set a HIGH bench mark in the mid 90's for performance and will again always be sought after..The gen2 rt10's as well seem to sell for higher amounts then the gts's when ever I frequent Ebay. perhaps the origional viper looks coupled with GTS performance is the attraction..

The gen3 however..Well it just has little going for it. It is a beautiful car of course thats why I own one. But with the 2008 and it's more agressive hood as well as extra 100 HP....I just cant see someone who is comtemplateing a 2013 gen5 who would choose the gen3 over gen4 unless it's price point...

Now when the last style was thought to be the 2010 srt10..rather a 2003 vert or 2010 vert again it was essentially the same car visually. And i thought this woould help with resale of any srt10 as the srt10 style was truly the last viper style and forever the "newer" viper style..

Now that will be eliminated and Im wondering were this will leave the 510 HP gen3's....

Will they be the F360 of the Viper world???? A GREAT car for sure but consumed by the F430 and newer style ferrari...

Guess we will see but I felt a lot better about it before I read of the 2012 possible Viper

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen.

Do not forget that the Viper DNA runs deep. Each generation offers the same Viper Ownership Experience, but with just a little different sauce.

Owners passions are integrated into each generation. The one you love least will be the one others love most.

Due to the current economy it is best to purchase the one that appeals to you most. Let the other guy buy the other Viper.

Any Viper is better than no Viper.

The news that the Viper will continue will do more to protect current Viper values than its possible demise.

How much are Deloreans selling for, or used Prowlers for that matter.

Grab a Viper when you can, and stop worrying so much.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that it is a 2013 model year car to be released sometime in the fall of 2012. That is two years away. I think that anyone who decides to wait two years to experience the thrill of Viper ownership has poor judgment. Buy one now. Enjoy the h**l out of it and then, if one wants the new one, just trade it in or buy a second one. There is no way I could do without my Viper for two years. It was only three months between my Gen II and my current Viper and I was crawling up the walls. Just ask my wife. She remembers that time. I think that if I had not gotten the new one, she would have bought one for me just to tranquilize me. LOL.

Agreed
There will always be new models and upgrades coming down the pipeline . If people sit around and wait all there life . It will be very boring . I'm very glad I didn't sell my GTS before my 08 came in . It would have drove me crazy to have no Viper to drive all spring and part of summer . If it wasn't for the recession I would still have it . I have been trying to sell my 08 for awhile , I am very close to finalizing a deal with a VCA member who just recently sold his GTS . No way will I want to wait 2 years to be with out a Viper . I will hopefully find an ACR I want then sell or trade it for a Gen V when they become available . Just be happy that the Viper will live on and enjoy your cars while you can . Don't worry about depreciation or speculation. :drive::2tu::headbang:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen.

Do not forget that the Viper DNA runs deep. Each generation offers the same Viper Ownership Experience, but with just a little different sauce.

Owners passions are integrated into each generation. The one you love least will be the one others love most.

Due to the current economy it is best to purchase the one that appeals to you most. Let the other guy buy the other Viper.

The news that the Viper will continue will do more to protect current Viper values than its possible demise.

Nail on head...end of story just :drive:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of unscientific observations. A 2010 FE was presold on ebay for over MSRP awhile ago. Another one recently went quickly. There are only, what 500 or so 2010s (likely by design given lousy 09 sales)

If they have to nanny up (and remove the "race" heritage) the new Viper I think the Gen 4s will be the last of the muscle cars so they will do ok--many years from now. I bought an FE on the slight chance it would the last--since I have a 92 I wanted bookends. (I bought an 09 for the same reason--what is the definition of stupidity? doing the same thing over and over....)

Pure speculation, but I think Gen1s, particularly 92s,(low numbers) will do well years from now (not now--they don't move on ebay) ); blue/white 96 coupes will do well , I suspect Gen 3s will take a bit of a beating, and Gen 4s will do fairly well, IF they ***** up the Gen 5.

And Paul, not sure about Prowlers, BUT there is heavy demand again for Deloreans--never thought i would see it. Pick up any Hemmings --guys are trying to buy them left and right. (a few years ago they went for $11K)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen2 rt10's as well seem to sell for higher amounts then the gts's when ever I frequent Ebay. perhaps the origional viper looks coupled with GTS performance is the attraction..

http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.c...t=0&_sop=2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1581&_pgn=1

So what Ebay are you looking at...:confused: Here are the cars that are in the completed listings that actually sold...

Dodge : Viper RT102001 Dodge Viper RT/10 6 speed V10 Midight Blue
Sell one like this 2001 30,700 595 mi from 07860, USA Best OfferSold $26,750.00 End Date:Sep-02 11:34

Dodge : Viper Viper GTS
1998 Dodge Viper GTS Silver Coupe V10
Sell one like this 1998 53,774 2395 mi from 07860, USA 15 BidsSold $27,800.00 End Date:Sep-14 11:55

Dodge : Viper RT/10
2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 low mileage
Sell one like this 2000 14,878 1085 mi from 07860, USA 12 BidsSold $29,000.00 End Date:Sep-06 13:06

Dodge : Viper GTSViper Alpine Sound Racing Harness Performance Exhaust
Sell one like this
1998 37,450 1410 mi from 07860, USA Best OfferSold $31,991.00 End Date:Sep-12 14:56

Dodge : Viper
2001 Dodge Viper ACR w/ 510 Stroker motor *NO RESERVE*
Sell one like this 2001 19,900 190 mi from 07860, USA 1 BidSold $32,000.00 End Date:Sep-09 13:52

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wasn't building a house right now, I'd go buy a 2010 ACR. Regardless of the 2012/2013 status. If it was up to me, I would own at least 1 of every generation.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There may be demand for "new" 2010s now but when the next generation comes out the prices for used ones will drop, just as they do for most vehicles. And trust me, the next generation Viper will be above par with the Gen IVs...Fiat is not that stupid.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There may be demand for "new" 2010s now but when the next generation comes out the prices for used ones will drop, just as they do for most vehicles. And trust me, the next generation Viper will be above par with the Gen IVs...Fiat is not that stupid.

Less to do with stupidity than with tighter regulations coming.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
--what is the definition of stupidity? doing the same thing over and over....)

thats insanity-- doing the same thing over and over and getting the same rsults

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on the gen V. Traction control, Stability Control, Drive by Wire control, etc.. I can see that the Gen 4 will be the last gen "free" from all that crap.

RIP Viper

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet.... Gen V comes out and I can get my Gen III for $25k :D '08 hood + HREs + pipes = Good to go.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen IV has drive by wire. The Gen III is the last generation "free from all that crap". The Gen III will continue to be an easily modified car since the controller code can be rewritten. This is not the case yet with the Gen IV Venom programming. But, unless you need more than about 665 flywheel HP ( headers, catback and Mopar controller added to Gen IV), you do not need to worry about that. LQ.

depends on the gen V. Traction control, Stability Control, Drive by Wire control, etc.. I can see that the Gen 4 will be the last gen "free" from all that crap.

RIP Viper

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are by my recent count 42 09 and 10 vipers un touched for sale. 09 acr are going for 14000 off list as in the 92-93 range. remaining 2010 soon to be in the same boat. I will stay with my gts. Never warmed to the look of gen 3-4 although I respect their capabilities. That said I'm holding out for a gen 5 IF it more closely resembles a gen 2 yes with 700hp. Nope only someone with no brains will ever pay list no matter how much money they have and yes dodge screwed up big time with the body design of the gen 3-4. GTS Bruce

BLUEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody should buy a (current model) car as an investment.....they all depreciate. With that said, I'm waiting to take delivery of my third Viper (had an 02, then 05) Final Edition Convertible Viper. I made my best deal and can't wait to enjoy the car. Viper ownership, to me, has always been about the car....mainly styling and performance. Although I like the Generation 1 cars styling the best, everyone model change after that, to me, just made the car all that much better. Bottom line: Vipers ALWAYS stand out in a crowd!!!

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are by my recent count 42 09 and 10 vipers un touched for sale. 09 acr are going for 14000 off list as in the 92-93 range. remaining 2010 soon to be in the same boat. I will stay with my gts. Never warmed to the look of gen 3-4 although I respect their capabilities. That said I'm holding out for a gen 5 IF it more closely resembles a gen 2 yes with 700hp. Nope only someone with no brains will ever pay list no matter how much money they have and yes dodge screwed up big time with the body design of the gen 3-4. GTS Bruce

I disagree , I think a huge part of it is all vehicles sales have slowed drastically over the last few years . I think we are very lucky that the Viper is going to continue in todays market . A lot of people can't justify paying that kind of money for a toy in todays uncertainty . I for one like the Gen IV alot better than my 00ACR I had . Too me the new ACR is a lot more appealing then the older Gen 2's . Pretty sure in a survey it would be close as to which car is more appealing the GTS or the Gen IV ACR . Each to there own :2tu:

Jeremy Walker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel it could go either way. The 2012 could be much anticipated and people will hold off for the purchase of a 2010; however, the creation of the 2012 could incite a massive drop in price of the 2010 thus greatly increasing sales.

Time will tell.

OP
OP
B

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are by my recent count 42 09 and 10 vipers un touched for sale.

Bruce - not sure where you got your count but there is way more than 42 out there. Tomball alone has about 60, saw them in person last week. Auto trader shows 266 listings for 09/10 Vipers. Some of those are used but most are new.

jax92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen.

Remeber the performance factor. Something lacking in the Prowler and Delorean cars. It is one of the three criteria for true collectability.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove a 2012 today. There will be a transition of those to the new model and then there will be those that like the car that carries a recognizable badging. I wish I could say more but until Road and Track releases the film you'll just have to go get your own off the Alfa lot.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I thought that the Viper was done, I bought a max care warranty for my 08 last week. I would have like to had a 2010 with the new 5th gear, but could not justify $30-$40K difference since mine is perfect with only 3K miles. With news of the 2012, I definitely would not get a 2010 and would wait to see what is on the horizon.

Last edited:

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hagerty insurance CEO McKeel Hagerty was asked which current crop of cars will be most collectable. He lists Dodge Viper in the top 10 along with Chevrolet Corvette ZR1. Ford GT is in there with the rest.

There was as well an hour show and I cant think of the name of it. But they were as well saying the Dodge Viper would be very collectable in the future because it was one of the last true muscle cars without nannies etc and people will seek them out for just this reason. :usa:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree it will be one of the most collectible cars to come along with the Ford GT, no current corvette gets my heart fluttering so I think it will be collectible but not to the same degree

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang