It is that time again!!!!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was one of the two vipers that drove to VOI7 from Arizona. I have family in Dallas so anyone with the Arizona or California clubs can join me because I am driving. I really hope Dodge introduces the coupe version of the SRT in Dallas.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did some figuring. I asked a friend who lived in NY and regularly did a trip to Dalls from NY.

We are talking 30 F****** HOURS!?!?!?!?!?!

That's two days if I do myself, that's four days round trip, wear and tear on the truck/trailer, lots of DVDs to watch in the truck on my way, and lots of snacks.
Then there is the gas. @ 60 MPH Average, 30 hours = 1800 miles @ 12 miles per gallon with a good wind = 150 gallons of gas. I only have about a 21 gallon tank = 7.2 fill-ups one way, @ $40.00 a fill-up = about $290 one way for gas, comes to about 575, round trip. And that's all if I stay awake!

Looks like I'm flying, leaving the car home, and using whatever Car Dodge provides. I'll leave my truck and car home sleeping for when I get back. By then I will have done enough summer events to satisfy me.

Wish I had two weeks to blow on this trip, and no family home waiting for me.

Geez
Andrew

DWParsons1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F355 -

I said the same thing before VOI7 - the cost, the distance (as it happened , the rain...)and decided to go to Nashville sans car. The folks at Dodge were great about having spare vehicles....but it's just not the same.

TAKE YOUR CAR!!!

If it's a decision between going without your car and not going, by all means leave the car home and get yourself to Dallas but if doing both is within your means then bringing your car is the only way to go.

It's a car event. It requires a car. Standing around in the group photo without your car? Hardly seems right.

Years from now, you'll be sitting in your easy chair with children on your lap and your son will point to the photo of VOI8 in Dallas and say "Say dad, who's the goof standing over in the corner of the photo without a car?"

Well, son....I wanted to save a couple of bucks....uhhhh

Following along in the tour bus behind a caravan was certainly comfortable but at some point your foot starts itching for a throttle to stomp down - the foot rest in front of you just doesn't cut it. BORRRRING!

C'mon don't be a wuss...bring the damn car. Burn up some tires on the autocross track. Smoke them brake pads! Live a little!

All of this was meant in good fun - but I'm serious about one thing. It's just not the same without your car. Think about it.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really want to trailer out...but NY - Dallas? Long trip.
If I leave the car home, that *****. If I ship, I can't use all that I've put into the car because I won't have my Hoosiers. I'm not going to crusie around town on those. I think one of the Vendors should make arrangements for just such a situation, where those of us who ship, can rent wheels/tires while we are out there, but I guess that would be unrealistic.
I know I'm not the only one in this spot.

AC

Andrew,
You could hook up with us (or rather, we could hook up with you) as you pass through VA. Sounds like we might need to think of something for those who want to drive there....and still have other tires/wheels to play with. I nominate Bugeater to drive his VIper there, and we find someone to tow his trailer....FULL of tires/wheels/spare parts!!! LOL!!! :)

Come on Andrew, TAKE YOUR VIPER! You can follow me! I'm taking my trailer!
East Coast Trailers in one convoy, Vipers in another convoy.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Come on Andrew, TAKE YOUR VIPER! You can follow me! I'm taking my trailer!
East Coast Trailers in one convoy, Vipers in another convoy.
he he...you know me, Chuck....I'll be posing all the way there with the trailer convoy!! :)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a new viper owner & I have never been to a VOI. I noticed that there is a viper days scheduled for the same time. Is there a driving school the same weekend? What is the cost of VOI? What does it normally include?
Andyone caravaning from HOUSTON?

Thanks
Andy

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear DWParsons1:

I promise that I will give it some real thought but I do not think I want to drive that distance back and forth (3000+ miles). Although it is nice to have your car there I do not know about that distance.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck:
If you are driving.....I might have to think twice about it.

If I drive, I have no problem loading up my Truck with whatever I can. This trip is gonna take alot of stimulants.

AC

MarkleSparkle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is my opinion only, not the opinion of the forum or any of the forum managers.

The VOIs are just about the most fun a person can have if they enjoy cars.

Oh lovely. Dallas, Texas. Haven't we had enough of the South? Nashville, St. Louis. Daytona... What? St. Louis? Don't presume that being north of the Mason-Dixon makes St. Louis any less Southern. Personally I have never met a Texan that wasn't a ****. Dallas Texans are the worst. Pompous, arrogant and wronly proud to be Texans. What the [******] are Texans arrogant about? Texas is flat, hot, sweaty and boring. Especially in August & September. I have driven my Viper to the last four VOIs. I have driven my Viper through nearly all of the 50 states including Alaska, but not Hawaii, unfortunately. I will definately skip Dallas. I can't belive people who own Vipers are glowing about Toby Keith and country western music in general. Significantly low-brow.

Another important point. Why do people ship their Vipers to the VOIs? These cars are meant to be driven, and driven hard. Speaking for the GTS -- I am 6-3 and 220 pounds -- the GTS is an amazingly comportanble road car. There is no
excuse for not driving the GTS to the VOIs.

Ok ok, maybe I'll drive to VOI 8. I'll get the SRT10 RAM though. A pickup truck, is the only way to do Texas properly. But no contry-western will spoil my 500watt, 500hp, 500ft.lbs., 500cui happiness.

By the way, is that little hill in Austin (like 350 above sea level) really the highest point in Texas? What is this crap about Texas Hill Country anyway? Hills? Those bumps in the landscape are in no way hills! But, you know, Austin sure is a lot better city than Dallas. Dallas is the Los Angeles of the South. Please don't interpret the preceding comment to be a comnpliment.

Thanks for reading this. Reminder: this is my opion only. In case it isn't clear, I think Texas *****.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Marky sparkle, do us all a favor and stay away from VOI. [******].

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Texas folks,

A bunch of us plan on having Reliable trucking bring our cars back to Voi8 , but then drive back this time instead of having the truck bring them back. Is it better to go from Dallas on 35 north to Oklahoma City , OK. then 40 over to Amarillo for the first leg home, or go 287 straight from Dallas to Amarillo, and then maybe on to Tucumcari, New Mexico for the first leg home? It looks like it will be around 1,730 miles from Dallas to San Jose , California. I'm thinking 4 days of about 450 miles each day. Any other suggestions on the rest of the trip would be appreciated also. Thanks. Dennis Kimball

SSLIDER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dennis..When I bought my 02 GTS (Woodhouse), I drove it home from Nebraska. Drove south to see a friend in Dallas. I drove west on 20 into 10 west through El Paso, on through New Mexico, Arizona, Palm Springs, then north on 5 back to OUR little city of Sunnyvale. How many do you have so far that are going to ship Reliable out and then drive back? I might be interested.

Craig

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Markle Sparkle......
I wish I could drive, but can't take two weeks off from work, and trailer from NY to Dallas and back. My problem, but looks like I'll be flying. And if the entertainment is another re-run of Nashville, I'll be looking for an earlier flight back.

AC

badsnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

Sorry about the delay in response, but here it is. The drive to and back to these things is half the fun. Drove from upstate NY to Orlando, St. Loius, and also Nashville. Unfortunately time constraints forced me to ship the car to Las Vegas and the trip was just not the same. I'll be driving at least one way to Dallas and hope to hook up with a bunch of other cars. Time restraints at work may cause me to ship one way. By the way, traded in my '96 RT/10 last Aug with 72,000 miles (all mine) on a new SRT. Well worth all 72K miles. Maybe we can hook up on the ride down to Dallas.

Mike Kowalski :usa:

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Markle,
You're not the Alaska Viper owners whose ex-wife is from Texas are you?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if the entertainment is another re-run of Nashville, I'll be looking for an earlier flight back.

AC

Please, not another country band again at voi8..... How about a poll? I vote we ROCK!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with you Cody - enough of the country crap! ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Please, not another country band again at voi8..... How about a poll? I vote we ROCK!

[/QUOTE]

CODY, Good Buddy! I've been to all 7 VOI-s and I somehow missed you !
Must have been the Diamond Reo CD you watched of VOI-7. They were a LOT better in person, especially say the ladies. Barbara Mandrell was good, too. Otis Day and the Nights were intimate...only 100 folks stayed and "got down" with Otis. But the Beach Boys were my favorite.

If you come in PERSON this time You'll like the LIVE entertainment ! You should only get to VOTE if you REGISTER ! And YES: Been there 5 times with my Viper, 2 without...... WITH is a 10. Without is an 8.5. BE THERE !

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some unused miles on my American Airlines card, and was pleasantly supprised to have them honor them for my flights to Dallas. Really reduces the expense.
Will ship my car from San Diego, and fly both ways. Reliable says they are flexible on return date, so I'll stay over an extra day to catch ViperDays.

Gotta dig out by boots and cowboy hat.
YYYYEEEEEHHHAAA!!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The music has never been a great success for VOI's. For some reason, even big name groups have never reverbrated with our group. Even the Beach Boys, while fantastic, did not have massive response. Maybe it is time for Dodge to do something "Different"....get it DIFFERENT!

The pictorial montage is always a great success, with everyone glued to the big screen

If they wanted to bring down the house they would announce a ME 4-12 powered Viper Street Coupe. (Even just a V-10 Street Coupe announcement, with special VCA enhancements, would result in thunderous applause.

Can't wait to see what Dodge comes up with.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having seen the finished inside of the hotel in person (way over the top southwestern theme that makes me think of the Alamo), and knowing that everyone outside of Dallas thinks that everyone here wears boots and cowboy hats, I think we are doomed to have country music if they hire a band, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456