Made a rear hub torque tool - Wizard approved!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. So Chuck hasn't personally blessed my new tool, but I think I'll get a deviled egg out of this. You might recall when he said DO NOT use the ebrake to hold the hub when torquing: :nono:

http://forums.viperclub.org/2430611-post2.html

Easy enough. Get a helper right? :dunno:

Here's my helper:

You must be registered for see images

There goes my helper...

So off to the shop to make a helper that won't walk off.

BTW, it's an '01 GTS with 26K fun miles, and the nuts barely moved when torqued to 190. But you should still check yours. Only Mrs. Tator can tell Chuck he's wrong, and Chuck says check your torque pretty often.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:1up:You got my seal of approval! I think I need to make one of those.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I see a miss print with your post: "DO NOT USE the ebrake" - I think you ment to spell: "DO NOT USE the drive line to hold the hub from turning"

And when submitting a new tool design for the Wizard to bless, you MUST do it doing normal business hours and in triplicate! Also, good thing your helper walked off because it is vary hard to get rid of flees from auto carpets!:lmao:

So your telling us your nuts aren't loose after that many miles of "fun driving"? I think you need to go for a ride with me so I can show my "fun driving"!:eater:

Looks like your tool will work!:cool: Are you ready to take orders for it? Don't forget to send me my cut on EACH one!!!!:money::money:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:shhh2:Does this mean you can just use the parking brake, as described in the service manual?

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I see a miss print with your post: "DO NOT USE the ebrake" - I think you ment to spell: "DO NOT USE the drive line to hold the hub from turning"

Chuck is correct amundo. Do not use the driveline...

:shhh2:Does this mean you can just use the parking brake, as described in the service manual?

I would speculate that the ebrake might spin, but I have no need to try it that way. Anyone ever tried that?

Plus, isn't the rotor & hat loose on the hub? Meaning that the torque from tightening the hub nut is transferred to the studs in shear when using the brake to hold it, as opposed to with a bolted plate like mine, the studs are in mostly tension? Which I would consider to be a better use of the studs mechanical strength.

I thought you lived in texas... Why are you wearing sweat pants?

I was out in the shop welding. Damn cold front...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then why does the manual tell you to do it that way ? i dont know as i didnt look, but someone posted that.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out in the shop welding. Damn cold front...

Guess it does get colder up north in your area of texas. Nice and sunny today in houston with a high of 70. Drove the dodge to work today.

BTW your wheel wells are dirty. Totally unaceptable.:rolaugh:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then why does the manual tell you to do it that way ? i dont know as i didnt look, but someone posted that.

I never looked in the manual. We improve upon these cars constantly, and will continue to disregard DC's ideas as I see fit to improve upon them. I have another vehicle that gets 400 ft lbs on the rear hub nut. I built a tool for it too...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess it does get colder up north in your area of texas. Nice and sunny today in houston with a high of 70. Drove the dodge to work today.

BTW your wheel wells are dirty. Totally unaceptable.:rolaugh:

It was 28 this morning. Will be 68 this afternoon when the GTS takes me home. Freshly tightened nuts on that GTS too.

Might take the afternoon off to detail those wheels!

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Couldn't you have just had the person taking the pictures of you torquing the hub's, hold the brake instead from inside the car? :eater:Nice tool though!

Or was the dog, taking the pictures?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice solution Dave! I almost didn't recognize you without shorts on. I think you should team up with Big Brake Dave and start selling your nut tool. :D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't you have just had the person taking the pictures of you torquing the hub's, hold the brake instead from inside the car? :eater:Nice tool though!

Or was the dog, taking the pictures?

I learned to use the self timer feature. I had 10 seconds to move. Yeah, I know. A grown man reading the instructions on this tiny little devise.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I learned to use the self timer feature. I had 10 seconds to move. Yeah, I know. A grown man reading the instructions on this tiny little devise.

LOL.... You posed for the picture to put up on the web? That takes dedication:2tu:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, I have heard its completely ok/safe and actually prefered if you torque them to 250.

This was learned a few years back with the Comp Coupes that kept getting failures from their rear hubs. The solution was to torque them to 250 lbs.(Janni Cone/Henry Cone). I have since done that will all 3 Vipers and have never had a problem. Back at the 190 lbs days, I used to get a 'slight knock' sound when taking off in my old 2002, and it always needed to be retorqued every 6 months or so when 190lbs was applied . Once I torqued to 250, I never had either issue again. This was around 40k miles, and it went 60k miles without issue there after.

2 cents.

Jon

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, I have heard its completely ok/safe and actually prefered if you torque them to 250.

This was learned a few years back with the Comp Coupes that kept getting failures from their rear hubs. The solution was to torque them to 250 lbs.(Janni Cone/Henry Cone). I have since done that will all 3 Vipers and have never had a problem. Back at the 190 lbs days, I used to get a 'slight knock' sound when taking off in my old 2002, and it always needed to be retorqued every 6 months or so when 190lbs was applied . Once I torqued to 250, I never had either issue again. This was around 40k miles, and it went 60k miles without issue there after.

2 cents.

Jon

Did you use the ebrake or a helper to hold the hub?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use the ebrake or a helper to hold the hub?

Actually,

I found you could do it 2 ways:

1 have an assistant sit in the drivers seat APPLY the brakes (brake pedal) while you do it.

2. if you have ACR rims OR SSRs (which mine was an ACR AND I have SSRs on my gen 3) you can take the "caps" off the centers and get access to them WHILE the car is on its securely on the ground w/ wheels still attached and tires touching the ground, with parking brake on, and car in gear. It certainly wont go anywhere in this configuration even as you apply the 250 lbs.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Ps. Really cool tool btw.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dave, that thing is CLEAN man... nice work.. Wish I had the shop and time, to do stuff like that..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456