Need Advice on Header Heat Shields

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About I week ago I ordered Belanger Headers, Corsa Exhuast, and RandomTech High Flow Cats from PartsRack. They should arrive within a couple weeks and will be installed. I researched quite a bit on this forum regarding whether or not I need heat shields. The advice given on here ranges anywhere from not putting them on since they damage the heat coating of the headers to putting them on or the car will catch fire. :eek: Is any of this true?

Some posts stated that you can just get away with changing to aftermarket spark plug wires, like Magnecor, and adding "snake socks." :confused: Other posts recommend buying aftermarket heat shields from "Inconel"?

Now my question is, do I need the heat shields? I don't really mind having them on. I hold protection and safety of the car to a much higher regard than just looks. Also, would the stock heat shields work with my new headers? I don't really want to spend any extra money if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance! :2tu:

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running headers with magnecor wires for over 2 years without so much as a little radio interference. Take it for what it's worth but I don't see the need for heat shields although if I had the spare $$$ I'd probably like to have some.

I do however think the magnecor wires are worth every dime.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock plug wires work just fine. I have uncovered Belanger headers and ran over 37,000 miles like this with the factory OEM wires and no additional wire shielding. Never had a problem. Make sure your power steering cap is secure....at all times. Better yet -- get the vent tube and be done with the worry.

.....I did the Bragg-Smith school in Pahrump in 2002

Steve

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some nice ones through DC performance, They recommended getting some and said its a good chance if you dont have them that you might burn up you heater box and some other thing although they were 250 bucks EACH. Ouch that hurts my wallet! But I think they will be worth it, better safe then sorry right?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
You're going to get many conflicting opinions on this. I'll just relate my experience that the stock heat shields and Magnecors have worked fine with my headers. Someone had a post on here recently showing a huge hole melted through their heater box and they had no heat shields. Just my .02 I'd use shields.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I probably have more miles, at least with Belanger headers, than most anyone reading this thread...41,000. I have no sign of heat damage anywhere. This could possibly be because the Belangers are not stainless. I think stainless would be hotter due to less heat dissipation, and therefore might require some protection.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just fitted a set of belangers to a club members viper..
And it states DO NOT REFIT THE HEAT SHILDS AS IT WILL DAMAGE THE THE HEADERS..
Also i'm running a full borla system with Roe HF cats and no shields with no probs..
Baz :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just fitted a set of belangers to a club members viper..
And it states DO NOT REFIT THE HEAT SHILDS AS IT WILL DAMAGE THE THE HEADERS..
Also i'm running a full borla system with Roe HF cats and no shields with no probs..
Baz :2tu:

Does your club member use the stock OEM spark plug wires? Just wondering if an aftermarket wire is needed to withstand the heat. :2tu:

Thanks for your replies so far guys/gals! I pretty much am just trying to figure out if the heat shields are mandatory. I don't want to damage my car or damage the headers in the process. The Inconel heat shields are $500 from DC Performance and if I need them I will buy them. I don't really want to spend the money but if it is mandatory I will.

Thanks again! :headbang:

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Buddy....I thnk you answered your own question!

"""I hold protection and safety of the car to a much higher regard than just looks.""""

Use the Stock Shields and Wires...no problems here.

Dave

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Buddy....I thnk you answered your own question!

"Now my question is, do I need the heat shields? I don't really mind having them on. I hold protection and safety of the car to a much higher regard than just looks. Also, would the stock heat shields work with my new headers? I don't really want to spend any extra money if I don't have to."

Use the Stock Shields and Wires...no problems here.

Dave

Hey Dave! But will the stock shields damage the headers? I believe someone above stated that Belanger's instructions said not to use them since they will inflict damage upon the headers. Just wondering about this. Thanks!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard (uk member) is running stock wires....
If you want i can scan the instuctions (i think i still have them)
My 1994 was running stock 2000 headers and a Roe exhaust with HF cats with no probs. on stock wires as well...
Also the 94 had no vents in the hood.
Baz

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really think Dodge designed and implemented a part for no reason? Extra cash at corporate, thought they would put ugly heat shields in for the heck of it? I'm not saying all of the above comments aren't true, it's just that the aftermarket usually doesn't follow the same durability and safety standards as OEM's. I think you know what you should do. Obviously you want to look at those pretty tubes, I would too.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TCKTPLZ..... this is a tough decision ...looks vs. heat shields. A Personal choice. If Belanger states to NOT use the shields...well...they are only concerned about their product...not our Vipers. And they do not want their headers peeling or burning. On the other hand...the headers that caused heater box meltdowns and such...were they all Belanger headers? Maybe they were other brands causing the problems. I am not sure.

I had no choice in the matter...my headers came from Woodhouse Dodge and were shipped Directly to Tators...and Chuck stated that he IS putting the shields on. So , I took him at his advice...I was unaware that Belanger stated otherwise. As I NEVER saw my headers at all.

So ..on one side Chuck is protecting my Viper, and on the other side ...Belanger is protecting their headers...bear in mind that Belanger produces headers for other cars as well...vettes, etc.

What really is the truth with Belangers and Vipers???

Dave

:confused: :confused: :confused:

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TCKTPLZ..... this is a tough decision ...looks vs. heat shields. A Personal choice. If Belanger states to NOT use the shields...well...they are only concerned about their product...not our Vipers. And they do not want their headers peeling or burning. On the other hand...the headers that caused heater box meltdowns and such...were they all Belanger headers? Maybe they were other brands causing the problems. I am not sure.

I had no choice in the matter...my headers came from Woodhouse Dodge and were shipped Directly to Tators...and Chuck stated that he IS putting the shields on. So , I took him at his advice...I was unaware that Belanger stated otherwise. As I NEVER saw my headers at all.

So ..on one side Chuck is protecting my Viper, and on the other side ...Belanger is protecting their headers...bear in mind that Belanger produces headers for other cars as well...vettes, etc.

What really is the truth with Belangers and Vipers???

Dave

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yeah, I am totally stumbled myself. After I asked you about it I was pretty much set on using the stock heat shields. While doing a search about Magencor wires, more poser stuff to dress up my engine ;) , I came across some threads regarding heat shields. That's when the confusion came in. As previously stated, some people stated that the shields would damage the headers and others stated the shields must be used to prevent the car from burning up.

I spoke with JonB on this and he stated that the Belanger headers run about 100 degrees cooler than the stock headers. Also, other headers such as B&B are made out of stainless steel, where as the Belangers are made out of ceramic coated aluminized steel. The aluminized steel of the Belangers supposedly runs much cooler than other stainless steel headers. Perhaps this is why the Belangers do not require heat shields. Then again, I am not entirely sure about this. All I know is I don't want to anything to be damaged in the process.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you have to replace melted factory parts you'll realize the money you spent on those Belanger Headers is chump change. Let's not forget that you live in just about the most unforgiving furnace on earth. I'd also like to see the scientific test that was conducted by an independent labratory verifing the 100F differential. End of comments. Good Luck

OP
OP
T

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you have to replace melted factory parts you'll realize the money you spent on those Belanger Headers is chump change. Let's not forget that you live in just about the most unforgiving furnace on earth.

Stock plug wires work just fine. I have uncovered Belanger headers and ran over 37,000 miles like this with the factory OEM wires and no additional wire shielding. Never had a problem. Make sure your power steering cap is secure....at all times. Better yet -- get the vent tube and be done with the worry. .....I did the Bragg-Smith school in Pahrump in 2002.

:confused:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TCKTPLZ ,
DC performance is doing B&B headers and B&B header back exhaust for my 99 RT/10, Dan cragan reccommended the heat shields and I figured he knows what hes talking about so I took his advice with the B&B and bought the 500$ inconel heat shields, They look awesome, although I'd like to see my headers but, like they always say better safe than sorry right? With those heat shields it looks about as nice as they can IMO, stock heat shields are so ugly but they do the trick. So IMO to look good AND be safe, get the heat shields from DC. IMO Good Luck

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed my Belanger headers, I called Belanger and ask this question about heat shields, his anwser was If your going to track your car use them, other than that they were not necessary.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed my Belanger headers, I called Belanger and ask this question about heat shields, his anwser was If your going to track your car use them, other than that they were not necessary.

I will make the assumption that a car which is only tracked 1-2 times per year, uses stock plug wires, idles in 80-90 degree heat for an hour or two several times a year in parades, and has absolutely no sign of heat damage would not fit this 'tracked' category .....as my Belangered 41,000 miles would attest to.

Steve

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the DC Performance heat shields. I do with Belanger headers. They work very well, look good, the difference in heat in the engine compartment is noticeable. I have no problems with the coating.
I was dubious at first about the heat shields especially at the price, but Dan was right, I do need them and I'm glad I've got them.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also got mine through DC performance and I LOVE them, they even look great.

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt put shields over my belengers... but the DC performance ones are pretty darn nice! (a couple friends have them on thier snakes)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog