Need Drag Tires. Which Mickey to get?

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my car to the drags last Saturday and it was very sad. First time I took it. Could not get tracking in 1st or 2nd and most of the time in 3rd. Did not even drop the clutch. Car is making 752rwph and 767 torque. :headbang:

Racing my car at the Bristol street fights. So they can not be full out slicks. I think the tires have to have at least 3 groves in them. What's the best tire to get? Will not have them for street driving only driving to and from the strip. Going to buy some rear wheels to put them on so I can just switch wheels before I drive to the drags.

Will a 345/35/18 fit on my stock 02 rim at stock height?

Looking at the ET Street Radial II.

Where is the best place to buy MTs from? :usa:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my car to the drags last Saturday and it was very sad. First time I took it. Could not get tracking in 1st or 2nd and most of the time in 3rd. Did not even drop the clutch. Car is making 752rwph and 767 torque. :headbang:

Racing my car at the Bristol street fights. So they can not be full out slicks. I think the tires have to have at least 3 groves in them. What's the best tire to get? Will not have them for street driving only driving to and from the strip. Going to buy some rear wheels to put them on so I can just switch wheels before I drive to the drags.

Will a 345/35/18 fit on my stock 02 rim at stock height?

Looking at the ET Street Radial II.

Where is the best place to buy MTs from? :usa:

I would see if there is a Hoosier drag radial in the size you need.
Might check the rule as I think they only have two grooves ......... I have never heard of a "grove" rule and I have been at the DOT stuff a loooong time.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea well I just heard that from some other racers there. They might not know what they are talking about! lol

Looks like Hoosier has a A6 and a R6 that will fit. Both have two grooves.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are the MT 345-35-18's. My car is lowered with Eibach springs...

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you running in the fronts? I have the V700s right now. That should be ok with the MT rears right? How do you like yours? Just going to use mine at the strip so maybe 10 times a year.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you running in the fronts? I have the V700s right now. That should be ok with the MT rears right? How do you like yours? Just going to use mine at the strip so maybe 10 times a year.

I was running the stock runflats.

The V700s with the DRs will be fine as long as you don't plan to drive "hard" on them.
The different traction ratings can cause a problem.

The DRs are a "softer" ride in the rear. The rear end of the car tends to swing a little on turns...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was running the stock runflats.

The V700s with the DRs will be fine as long as you don't plan to drive "hard" on them.
The different traction ratings can cause a problem.

The DRs are a "softer" ride in the rear. The rear end of the car tends to swing a little on turns...[/quote]

Emphasis Added. PS, not just traction, but vastly different cornering characteristics due to sidewalls ....Mismatch +D.R.s can DITCH you.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drag strip is about 10 miles from me. I will be buying two stock rear wheels that I will be putting these DRs on. So I will install these right before I go to the strip then take them off right when I get back. So I will not be driving on any curvy roads or anything. Just high way to then run the car on the strip then drive back.

Hey JonB I bought some V700 from you about 6 months ago. Well.......... my backs are about done in 6 months! lol So I will need to buy another set of backs. Not willing to buy all four. Already did that. Just want the backs. Are you willing to sell them to me? Also can you get MT DRs?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea well I just heard that from some other racers there. They might not know what they are talking about! lol

Looks like Hoosier has a A6 and a R6 that will fit. Both have two grooves.

Those are not what you need to be looking at.

Here you go. Under Drag tires to the left click on specs then click on DOT drag radials in the new page.
Hoosier Racing Tire - Tires Designed For Champions

[SIZE=-1]Part #: 17342[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]P315/30R18[/SIZE] E [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Part # 17345[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]P335/30R18[/SIZE] E [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the track not prepped very well. V700's usually hook purty good. I've got some extra OEM 18" x 13" 5 spokes. I removed damage and just needed to finish polishing out. But if you're not concerned about the look........:dunno:

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the bad thing I own a internet business!! lol Hey Tony, I'm wanting to use the stock 18" rim for the DRs so the link you listed is for a 16". Have you tried the MT DRs?

Chip, sent you a PM. Yea from what everyone said at the track that they do not prep it very well. I would say there was 60 cars and about 40 bikes racing that night. Not sure if that would have been a problem too. I know the V700 do great on the street! I mean I did not even drop the clutch! Might have dropped it at 1200 rpms.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have been drag racing for years I have found that MT drag tires are not that good. I will explain and you can see it in my youtube videos. Getting scratch in third gear with 17 lbs in the tires. Go to MrCanyon707 on youtube. You can see and hear how the tires perform. Now the tires I love are theM&H Racemaster drag radials. 25.5 psi give me a non slip launch and no scratch in the other gears. The same compound as funny cars. If your looking for the right drag radial look at these. I think there the best out there for the Viper Drag racing.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mostly stock. Port matched intake, BBK Tb, Magna Core wires, DC tune, OS Giken LSD diff. new half shafts, carbon fiber twin disk clutch and flywheel 25% lighter. K&N intake. nothing major but, rock solid. Runs in the mid 11 sec area depending on the head wind at Infineon Dragstrip. These tires really grip on launch no comparsion to MT. The nice thing is you don't have to take out the air to make them stick which makes time at the traps.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great. Think I am going to try them out and order today. Here is a picture of me at Bristol on Sat. They are doing it again on the 8th so I hope to have them mounted and ready to go! Starting to get excited! Don't think I am going to drop the clutch at higher RPMs as I do not want to break anything.

You must be registered for see images

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Nice Nice. I don't drop the clutch but, feather it out on launch. yellow yellow go I broke a stock axle last year before upgrading. I didn't realize that the half shafts were hollow and had a built in shear grove cut in them. Broke it on a hard launch. Good luck and you will be happy with these tires

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again, just ordered them. The guy(I think the owner) that answered the phone was very nice! I will write a review once I get them installed and tested!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey JonB I bought some V700 from you about 6 months ago. Well.......... my backs are about done in 6 months! lol So I will need to buy another set of backs. Not willing to buy all four. Already did that. Just want the backs.

Jon, Ill send you a private mail, Jon

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the bad thing I own a internet business!! lol Hey Tony, I'm wanting to use the stock 18" rim for the DRs so the link you listed is for a 16". Have you tried the MT DRs?

The link was to a new product, IF YOU HAD READ THE DIRECTIONS I even told you how to get to the other sizes via the link. Not to mention I even posted the part numbers AND sizes of the 18" tires.

Last edited:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all about the compound that make the tire stick. now how it looks. I can tell you and if you look at my Video on MrCanyon707 running with MT drag radials you will hear the tires chirp in 2nd and 3rd gear. I even had to get out of the throttle in 2nd gear as I started to get sideways running 17PSI. I eventually had to change them and found these M&H drag radials so far no issues better launching with my best time 11.606 cutting 1 tenth off my time. This is just my opinion so go with what you like but I promise you this there two different animals.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about that Tony. Some how I missed that. Looks like the M&H tires will get here on the 7th and the open track is on the 8th. Let's hope I can get them mounted and balanced before then!

Yea from what I read it is the difference in the compound that makes the difference. If you watch MrCanyon707 video on youtube you can here the chirp in 2nd and 3rd. This I do not want. So this is why I decided to go with the M&H. If the MTs chirped with Canyons car then I know they will chirp with mine.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Mickey Thompsons if you want to hook. I challenge anyone in this thread if they have ever pulled consistent 60' times like I did with my MTs.

1.36, 1.37, 1.39, 1.39, 1.36, 1.42.

You won't do that with the rest of them. Proof is in the times.

OP
OP
J

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Mickey Thompsons if you want to hook. I challenge anyone in this thread if they have ever pulled consistent 60' times like I did with my MTs.

1.36, 1.37, 1.39, 1.39, 1.36, 1.42.

You won't do that with the rest of them. Proof is in the times.

You have bought and used the M&H DRs and came to this conclusion? I already ordered the M&H so we will see.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A line lock is imaprative with either tire. The sweet spot on the M&H is between 16 and 20 psi Warm is good hot is better.