** NEW 800 RWHP GEN 3 TURBO SYSTEM ** in Progress**

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Niiiice thanx for the update ! :)

There is more to come Jay, its going to be an exciting next couple of weeks, I am outfitting my car with tons of sensors and doo-dads right now, The damn thing looks like back to the future time,

I actually got pulled over by the CHP a few days ago for "how the car looks", the CHP officer says he pulled me over because it looked like a transformer form behind (I was driving around without the rear bumper on so it did look pretty distracting.

Right now I am switching back over to twins from single while my new single turbo comes in,

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you like the car with a single? Any impressions on the power delivery?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you like the car with a single? Any impressions on the power delivery?

That little 6 second video on the previous page is the single... it comes on strong , fast. better than my Exotic engined, Paxtoned, 1000 HP GTS did, gets to 8 psi in a couple hundred rpm

I'm trying a larger single next week once I finish playing with the twins, I want to make sure I get the perfect size and a little more playing is in order.

Last edited:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats one nice looking setup Steve.

you think the end result will be single or TT?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve,

Got a stupid question for you. What is the advantage of a rear mount turbo or in this case 2 rear mount turbos? I have owned turbos in the past but they have always been conventionally mounted. That question have been nagging at me since your first post on your project.

On another note, were you a plumber in a previous life? All of the twists and turns to get the tubing where you need it must have been a nightmare...It looks great though.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve,

Got a stupid question for you. What is the advantage of a rear mount turbo or in this case 2 rear mount turbos? I have owned turbos in the past but they have always been conventionally mounted. That question have been nagging at me since your first post on your project.

On another note, were you a plumber in a previous life? All of the twists and turns to get the tubing where you need it must have been a nightmare...It looks great though.

Hey Steve,

Numerous reasons,

The high volume of the viper engine results in little to no lag even with the turbos in the back
All added weight is over the drive wheels (help in traction and weight transfer for handling)
No extra heat to the engine bay or foot well
easy to work on
Sounds incredible
Lots of room for the filter, footwell systems always have crappy air flow to the filters
Lets you have stock appearance under hood (if you want)

Thanks for the compliment on the tubing, only took a few hours after a few days of measuring and thinking and thinking and measuring and ....

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im waiting too Steve. I am selling my 08 and looking to buy an 09 ACR but if I can find a nice 06 coupe I will gladly go that route just so I can slap on a set of your twins. So hurry and post the final results before I go buy another gen 4!!!

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

Here we go

After a literal ton of testing, I revised teh whole system again.

I have now added the side exhaust component to the kit, no one really liked the idea of dumping out the back and to be quite honest, neither did I. What you see here is what I did to make sure the side exhaust would fit, but all production pieces will be permanent pre-bent tube, it will be 3 inch, the pics have 2.5 inch like stock.

Intake has the latest Tial Q blow offs, instead of the older ones, the Q's blow off way more air and that helps in keeping the system lasting a long time. In the pic you will see a few little copper tubes and some Boost gauges mounted to the windshield. I used these to measure back pressure. this system in its present state has extremely safe 2:1 back pressure and this is also very good for system and engine longevity. The single system was producing too much back pressure so I decided to just go with the twin system. No use making time bombs.

The back view that got me a ticket for "how my car looks too much like a transformer", all finalized with nicely mandrel bent aluminum tubing

The entire cold (pressurized) side, now on its third complete revision. The original designer of the system designed the cold side with 1.75 inch O.D. tube. This resulted in the car not being able to breath, so I completely threw out the entire cold side and fabbed up my own 2.5 inch cold side which is the size recommended by my Turbo manufacturer , this resulted in neck snapping performance, but still ran out of breath at the top end. I checked the math, went to night school. LOL and found all the physics equations to calculate the CFM flow (thanks Nick!) and the friction and flow loss by foot by tube diameter and found that what I needed was 3" for the mighty viper engine. (no slight here to teh Turbo guys, they mostly deal with small engines that make big power, very few people actually go the math to figure out how much air a 505 cubic inch engine needs especially under boost and running through quite a few feet of tube

The 3 inch cold side

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he said "WOW" ! Niiiiiice work ! Thanx for sharing :2tu: :D
Looking forward to the final product !!! :)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice update. Good to see your truly takeing your time to deliver the best product you can.

Cant wait. Saving pennys as this is still gonna be priced under 15k complete right?

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, Do you any final dyno numbers on your kit yet????

No final numbers yet, since I upgraded the cold side I am adding spark and fuel as a lot more air is flowing...I was at the dyno on Friday and the Vette owners were cringing.

With the engine having the stock pistons the goal is between 725 and 775 at the rear wheels which is between 825 and 875 at the crank, I must tell you that the car is crazy fast!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW is right!!! That looks great. I too cant wait to see the final product. I assume that all underpinnings will all be able to bolt back up? And looking forward to seeing how the final tips look once side panels are back on.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wired up a bunch of sensors this week for some final tuning, they connect wirelessly to Iphone, and Ipods and I pads so I thought I would go a little overkill and go right to the Ipad. Nice thing is, teh gauges are totally customizeable and there is a bult in data logging function as well as all sorts of usefull and useless info.

You must be registered for see images attach