Random Tech Cat falling apart

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random Tech Cats fail at 92000 miles

Has anyone else here had their Random Tech Hi Flow cats fall apart? Both of mine have loose parts in them now. Before I put the same ones back in again, I thought I see if there was a better solution. Maybe I just shouldn't drive my car so much.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Post details of your car and any problems you may have or have had in the past. Cats USUALLY fail from excess fuel/misfires, but I have seen a couple random techs fail in unexplainable circumstances.

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 92000 miles on my car. I think I had about 1000 when I installed the cats. I'll take pictures when I remove them. I don't remember any misfires. I have Belanger headers, Corsa cat back, stryker heads, rockers, smooth tubes, 708 cam, cragin tune. I just didn't know if there was a better brand to switch to.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 92000 miles on my car. I think I had about 1000 when I installed the cats. I'll take pictures when I remove them. I don't remember any misfires. I have Belanger headers, Corsa cat back, stryker heads, rockers, smooth tubes, 708 cam, cragin tune. I just didn't know if there was a better brand to switch to.

I could be wrong, but I think you answered your own question when you wrote 92,000 miles and your mods. Random Techs are good. When they both have fallen apart at about the same time that tells me that was about all they can handle and not a problem with a defect. Give JonB a call at Parts Rack.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1, I wouldnt expect any aftermarket cat to last that long, especially with those extensive mods.

Replace with fresh ones, or swap with resonators so you dont have to worry about it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have to agree... they have some serious mileage and heat cycles. So long as they werent complete meltdowns, they probably just failed due to age.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+92.000 miles and the cats are failing...WOW. Never would expect they last that long.
Stock ones are shot after what....? 10.000 miles? At autobahn speed...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Random Tech Cats OUTLAST OE !!

Has anyone else here had their Random Tech Hi Flow cats fall apart? Both of mine have loose parts in them now. Before I put the same ones back in again, I thought I see if there was a better solution. Maybe I just shouldn't drive my car so much.

Geez, Dave, your post title is a bit misleading! We bought your Gen 1 organ donor almost a decade ago, and These 3" ceramic cats were sold in Late 2001, $299 pr, with a 5-year unlimited warrantee. I am happy to see they lasted 9 years and 90K miles for you on your highly-modded motor.....you should switch to the SHF Metal Honeycombs...they outlast Ceramics!!

if RT sees this they may raise prices!!!

Last edited:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never changed my CATs.....but i dont drive my cars either.....(poser)

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At first this string scared me, I just installed my RT's between Christmas and New Years and I thought I may have made a mistake until I saw the rest of the story. Now I'm pretty happy! :2tu: Feels like found money!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Random Tech Cat LASTS 9 + YEARS!!!

At first this string scared me, I just installed my RT's between Christmas and New Years and I thought I may have made a mistake until I saw the rest of the story. Now I'm pretty happy! :2tu: Feels like found money!

EXACTLY! Tons of folks see the TITLE but dont bother reading the thread. And it falsely imprints a bad impression of a GREAT product.

Dave, Please edit your thread title?

OP
OP
S

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry. I edited the title.

So which of the random tech cats should I order if I'm pushing low 600 HP? And how many miles can you expect. I'm thinking 75000 now :)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think no cats would be your best option. Better sound, more power and no worrying about having to replace them ever again............ :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Random Tech Cat goes 92K Miles!

THANKS MUCH!

I urge you to go with the SHF-metal Honeycomb, with over 620CFM flow rate EACH. Ceramics are 539CFM. SHFM even pass CA emissions. SHFM run cooler, louder, and wont stink, pop and backfire obnoxiously like NO cats will. Catless can also belch flames and scorch stuff. Catless does NOT always mean more power...it can even mean less torque.

Drop to Tom?
$399/pair.... 5 years unlimited miles! {Your Mileage may vary!}

Last edited: